Thread: Lords of the Danube: Story Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Lords of the Danube: Story Thread

It was raining again, but rain was much more tolerable than snow. The King rode on his muscly, brown destrier, clad in plate and mail and with the royal coat of arms across his tabard. There was not much conversation going on between his loyal retinue and the nobility that followed him, in fact the drumming of raindrops across steel shoulder pads and vambraces was by far the most prolific sound to be heard. The horses bore the weather and their amroured riders stoically, only the occasional whinnying or snorting could be heard. The scenery was typically rural, with a muddy roadway leading trough sloped fields littered with patches of snow. Soon the cold rain would turn back to snow and the mud would freeze over, but the King was hoping to be besides a warm fireplace at that point.

King Pozsony was a handsome man, or so his wife would tell him, and even at the advanced age of thirty eight his robust stature and great health made him into a fierce warrior when needed. He towered over the other riders by at least half a head, and his armour gleamed with silver and gold etched along the edge of the collar. Deep inside, the King felt himself to be more of a scholar than a leader of soldiers, however he had been cunning enough to recognize Hungary's need for a strong military commander. Such were the times, that learned men scarcely became Kings, and if they happened to chance upon the crown, they soon had to learn the crafts of war or find themselves short of a head or a kingdom. Often both.

"What is Adelhaid doing right now?" he found himself thinking of his sister as Varad's walls appeared on the horizon. She was six years his elder and if not for her remarkable beauty she would have been sent to a nunnery long ago. She was at Bordeaux, on the other side of the world, speaking with the French on some minor matters the King himself had no time to discuss.

Maria, his wife, found less space in the King's thoughts. She had been instructed to go to Sofia, despite the province being occupied still by Orthodox Romans and Bulgarians. It was safer than the border cities and Constantinople had long been a den of vipers, deadlier than the plague itself. Before King Pozsony asserted his rule over the city it was as safe as keeping a rabid dog as a pet.

They passed by some serfs who were pushing an ox cart loaded with firewood, which had sank quite severely in the unpleasant mud, and threatened to tip over and spill the logs and sticks that filled it's entirety. The commoners cursed in some local mongrel tongue and their dirt covered faces and damp clothes made them seem wretched. The King signalled two of his knights to dismount and give them assistance. He would have to send them wine later tonight, least they mumbled curses under their breath fora weak - such things were best avoided when the absolute loyalty of his men was paramount to his success. They failed to understand that it was the serfs who worked the land and toiled to provide food, cloth and taxes. Not a single sword could be forged without someone working for it's price and a smith to craft it. And knights were neither smiths nor working men, though their service was unquestionably vital to the survival of Hungary and indeed any kingdom. He would need every mounted warrior of able body and appropriate age, if he was to push back these mongrels that called themselves Romans.

The Golden Bull had just passed, barely at that, but such was the price of peace. The King had no desire to slaughter his kinsmen and vassals, nor did he wish to vanquish families who had lineages ranging back to the time of Árpád and his Magyars. Still, while they had been bickering and squabbling over rights and taxes, Hungary had grown weak. Had it not been much weaker and divided by constant civil war and treachery, the Eastern Roman Empire would have stomped his nation under a steel boot, much the same as they had done with the Bulgarians.

Now, Hungary stood with weakened defenses, a sorry lot of impoverished Barons, with a horde of greedy Venetians in the east waiting to strike and an elite force of Romans reportedly prowling around Constantinople. Peace was tenuous at best, and only a fool trusted his neighbors. If said neighbors were the Republic of Venice and the so-called Eastern Roman Empire, then suspicion became as mandatory as breathing.

The wild, unwashed Cumans to the North poached and poked around Hungary's borders, and they too had to be taught a lesson. So many problems and so little ways to solve them, bar the extinguishing of yet more Hungarian lives. Mika had been an eager lad and a decent general. The Kng's hopes largely lied with him, but now he had to prepare for the meeting with the other nobles. "First among equals" he reminded himself. He still held absolute power, but such an attitude would win them to his side. He needed someone on his side besides one twenty eight year old general.

The horses hooves clattered as the riders went trough the gate and onto the slightly crooked cobblestone path that was leading towards the inner keep and the meeting hall. The rain made the locals miserable and they regarded the mail clad and richly dressed Hungarian nobles with suspicion and fear behind locks of drenched hair. "They need hope and stability, a means to survive the winter, sow in spring, reap in summer and marry their children in the autumn. I give them taxes, sieges and levies. And my blue eyes, as that is all I have left."

The serfs would have to bear it, just as everyone else did. The King had suffered so much ill fate, after all. It was time to change Hungary's fate however, and the first step was securing the earnest allegiance of proud and powerful men, whom only recently had raised armies against him.
    Last edited by Myth; 01-12-2012 at 13:51.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Lords of the Danube: Story Thread

Sunlight danced on the rippling surface of the great lake as he guided the magnificent horse along its banks, its thick black mane bunched in his fists, his bare heels firmly pressed against its hot flanks, feeling the immense and powerful muscles pulse and surge as they galloped together in the orange light of the morning.

As they reached the crest of a bank they wheeled around and set off at an impossible gallop into the broad, flat, neverending steppe, aiming at the rising sun which cast its golden light upon the myriad seed heads of the waist-high grass through which they rode.

It seemed they would run together forever without tiring, horse and rider combined in a single spirit of flight, their hot breath merging, utterly at one with their steppe home and as they flew across the plain they seemed to converge and transmute into the form of an arrow in flight - irresistable, unstoppable and almighty.

Junior King Bokeny awoke with a start on the freezing cold flagstones of his chamber, his drool pooled before him on the dark granite and his vision blurred. Rising from the floor he experienced a blinding pain in his injured hip and he cursed loudly and without restraint, startling the chamber wench and sending her fleeing from the room with a giggle.

Damn that saddlebacked pony and its fear of snakes, the potbellied nag had thrown him into a bramble and set off at a trot across a pitted field, breaking its leg in the process and leaving him without a mount. No wonder he was dreaming about horses...

He relieved himself into the chamber pot and then staggered with it to the window. The cold grey light barely pierced the leaden clouds overhead and as he opened the pane he felt a bitter chill from the air. Down the slope and laid out before him was the city of Zagreb, his home for the past decade and the seat of his County. It was a grim outlook, the few stone buildings huddled together around a dung-piled central square, surrounded by near-slums in which the populace struggled to eke out a meagre existence.

By God he hated this place. Curse his father for sending him here and curse the Venetians who held the only part of Croatia worth having, the beautiful Dalmation coast. Why could he not be Count of Dubrovnic instead, that pearl of a city on the glittering bay with all the fruits of the sea to dine on and a view almost to Italy on a clear day?

He cleared his throat and spat into the chamber pot. Looking directly down into the courtyard he saw an old peasant lady gathering straw in a bundle. Waiting for her to pass beneath him he emptied the chamber pot upon her head and with a grim satisfaction closed the window and retired to his chamber.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 01-22-2012 at 06:51.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Bokeny studied the lined face of the old Cuman who stood before him in his tapestry room. He turned to Joszef of Carniola, his Master-at-Arms.

"This is my new Master of Horse?"

Joszef nodded.

"If it please you m'lord."

Bokeny grunted and studied the old man again before speaking to him.

"Sir, you come highly recommended as a buyer and trainer of horses. Are you also able to train cavalrymen?"

The old Cuman cleared his throat and began to speak in broken Latin.

"I...to fight with horse...men of strong.."

Bokeny waved his hand impatiently.

"Do you know our Magyar tongue? No-one prefers to speak this godawful Italian gabble except the King."

The old man looked relieved.

"I do great lord, it is familiar to me. I have spent my life training men to fight from horseback, in the steppe tradition with bow and lance, and in the Frankish style, with plate armour, sword and lance. It would be a great honour to me to organise your cavalry in this way."

He bowed his head once more. Bokeny turned to Jozsef once more.

"Give this man full access to the stables and let him work with the cavalry ahead of our battle with the rebel dog Bonifacio. By God I will transform these forces into a mobile army which can properly defend our borders. For too long we have stood in lines like idiots with spear and shield waiting for the melee. Let our enemies fear our thundering hooves as they once were terrified by great Arpad and his legendary Magyar! And if this man fails me or shows any sign of treason he will hang from the gibbet like his predecessor, that Venetian clown who sat me atop the potbellied nag that threw me."

He rose and began to leave but was interrupted by a subtle noise from the Cuman. Turning back, he waited as the man spoke once more.

"My liege, I have a gift for you. It is in the stables."

Taken aback, Bokeny nodded before asking

"What is your name sir?"

"I am named Yurii my lord.....but my countrymen know me as the Wolf."

Bokeny could only grin.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 01-23-2012 at 06:31.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Battle report placeholder
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Junior King Bokeny sat atop his magnificent black charger and surveyed the bloodied battlefield.

The horse had been a gift from the Cuman Yuri, his new Master of Horse. Bokeny remembered his first sight of the beast, trembling and quivering in the stable with the barely suppressed rage of a noble spirit fettered by lesser beings. The stablehands and ostlers kept their distance, surveying the black steed with fear and suspicion, the signs of disrespectful too-close contact visible on some in the form of bite and hoof marks. It was, literally, the horse of his dreams and at the sight of it he felt once more the pull on his heart, the yearning and exhilaration of horse and rider united in unstoppable flight across the endless steppe.

At a signal from the man known as the Wolf he had approached the horse slowly but without fear, sensing in the great steed's eyes and tentative snicker the recognition of an equal.

The Wolf had seen the same. "He already knows his master my Lord. Truly this is a mount fit for a King."

Bokeny had laughed, without breaking eye contact with the beast as he approached. "Well, he'll have to make do with me."

Closing the gap between them he held the great beast's head and as it pulled away, skittish and nervous, he spoke to it in a calm voice, telling it they would be together now and he would let no harm come to it. The horse thus calmed, he quickly got astride it and spurred it, bareback, into the yard.

Now, having ridden the beast into battle against the rebel army led by the Venetian cur Bonifacio, he felt a kinship between them that would only be broken by death. Like his ancient steppe ancestors and like his Cuman vassal, he was wedded to his horse and felt comfortable only in the saddle.

He turned to the man known as the Wolf. "How did our cavalry fare sir? Be warned, I wish to hear the truth, not the honeyed pleasantries a vassal will use to flatter his master's ear."

The old Cuman paused a long moment, looking out down the hillside to the plain below where the fighting had taken place.

"They died too much my Lord. In the moment of decision they tarried in the melee and lost the advantage of movement. They forgot my lessons and sought to fight their enemies face to face. They should be as the wind, insubstantial and striking at once from different directions, wheeling and dipping as a bird in flight. These sons of Venetian Merchants, the Cavalry Militia, likely they will never truly learn this and we will always lose more of them than we should. The Magyar with their bows fared better. At times I saw their steppe blood rise in them as they feignted and withdrew, firing as they fled. They were too few this day but soon we shall have more of them."

Bokeny scowled, frustrated at the lack of progress shown by his men. "Well, if the King has his way we shall have plenty more practice."

Yuri grinned a lupine grin. "Aye, indeed lord, indeed."
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 02-12-2012 at 23:49.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Too early, moved bellow the very long very nice read :)
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 02-12-2012 at 23:48.