Thread: Historical Discussion Thread

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default Historical Discussion Thread

Hello LotD players.

Given the recent rush of historical discussion, I thought it might be best to give that its own outlet so that the OOC thread doesn't get swamped. Please carry no with any discussion of actual history here!
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Default Re: Historical Discussion Thread

Hello everyone!

So, I've asked that this be announced in the courtroom soon, but I thought I'd offer you some historical information here first to go off of...

I've asked to be indoctrinated into this game as a Pecheneg Khan. The Pechenegs were a semi-nomadic steppe people driven from their homes by the Cumans. They fled to Kiev and Hungary, existing in small communities throughout these lands until eventually being absorbed both culturally and ethnically.

I'll be playing a Pecheneg Khan whose people remained in the steppes but, due to relations with the Hungarians and Rus, have converted to Christianity and are now wishing to vassal themselves to Hungary.

RP ELEMENTS:
    • The Pechenegs are foreigners, but are still Christians. The Pechenegs will probably not distinguish much between Orthodox and Catholicism, being culturally distanced from these conflicts. A Hungarian noble might distrust them for these reasons or instead have a desire to further influence them religiously.
    • At this time, Pecheneg tribes still exist in isolated communities throughout Hungary. Subgroups within any community tend to be distrusted by the community as a whole, thus perhaps garnering them distrust from some of the nobles. Conversely, Pecheneg mercenaries and soldiers have become a valuable asset to Hungary, perhaps garnering them respect from other nobles.
    Last edited by Quirl; 01-31-2012 at 17:01.

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

I think my new Master of Horse could well be a Pecheneg
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

They were employed quite extensively by the ERE when they needed a second front opened to their enemies. Especially versus Bulgaria, this tribe has earned a sinister reputation for being mercenaries and brigands. Of course the Bulgarian Tzars and Khans have employed their services as well, though the Roman Basileos was the one who was usually swimming in gold.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!