Thread: Rules Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default Rules Discussion

Greetings players of LotD.

I wanted to open up a thread specifically dedicated to rules questions and revisions.

Bear in mind that the most up to date rules will still be in the first page of the OOC thread.

To start things off, I have been thinking about financial dynamics for the game and the limited money available to most players. I currently feel that the King has perhaps too much of a monopoly on money, and that any revolt would be suicidal because of this. The main reason for this is that the King gets 4000 free income every turn, and no one else gets any.

My idea is to
    lower the King's purse to 2000 per turn
    give the Junior King a base income of 500 per turn
    give all other nobles a base income of 300 per turn

This would represent the personal holdings and small estates owned by the nobles.
    This would make the distribution of money more even, and I think it will allow all players to have more active participation in game without constant fear of bankruptcy.
    It also fits into the Golden Bull because this prevented Nobles from having to pax taxes to the King, which would mean more money for Nobles and less for the King.
    It would also make it possible for a large revolt to find success against the King if they occur, rather than basically being hopeless because of the king's purse.

Overall, the faction's income would be unchanged for now, and it would also help reflect the growing importance of the Nobility as they get more numerous. (The more nobles, the more their 300 per turn shifts power in their direction.)

We certainly don't have to do this, but I wanted to check in and see what players thought of this.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Rules Discussion

I didn't realize the king's purse was being added to his income. At 4k that does seem unbalancing (sorry Myth). I'd be ok with the proposal above but maybe another option is just to remove it altogether? After all if the nobles aren't paying taxes then where is the king's purse coming from?
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    I didn't realize the king's purse was being added to his income. At 4k that does seem unbalancing (sorry Myth). I'd be ok with the proposal above but maybe another option is just to remove it altogether? After all if the nobles aren't paying taxes then where is the king's purse coming from?
    That is another option, but my fear is that is would cripple the faction economically, especially compared to the huge income boosts the ai gets.

My reasoning is that these purses come from various small personal holdings and estates (and businesses, etc...), distributed throughout the Kingdom, rather than from taxes.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    That is another option, but my fear is that is would cripple the faction economically, especially compared to the huge income boosts the ai gets.

My reasoning is that these purses come from various small personal holdings and estates (and businesses, etc...), distributed throughout the Kingdom, rather than from taxes.
    Yeah you're right, we need the cash in some form.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Anyone who objects should try to do so before the next turn. If there are no objections, I will put this into effect starting turn 3.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I support the measure for you reasons you've outlined. It is the internal strife that makes these games memorable!