Thread: Ideal Veteran Upgrades?

Default Ideal Veteran Upgrades?

I'm fairly new to Shogun 2 but have been playing multiplayer quite a bit over the last few weeks.

Recently some of my veterans have begun reaching level 5 and I am hesitant to invest clan tokens in skills unless they are worth it. I am also concerned about skill investment on hero units and Sengoku Jidai units seeing as these cannot be replaced. And also are there good times not to spend points to keep units cheap?

My assumptions so far have been that charge and melee attack are good for cavalry, melee defence and morale is good for yari ashigaru, accuracy and reload speed for bows and melee attack / defence for katana.

I understand, of course, that what is useful will depend on how I use these units but I just want some rough guidelines on what is actually good before investing my clan tokens or risking my unique veteran units.

Default Re: Ideal Veteran Upgrades?

Generally for melee units the only upgrades you want to get are the melee attack/melee defense ones. his applies both to cav, swords, yaris and naginatas. The exception here is Hold Firm Yari Ashigaru and Nag Monk cav with bonus vs. cav and Warcry/Hold Firm.Clan token upgrades are good addition for any melee unit, but I'd prioritise your heavy infantry first. For matchlocks you're best off either bringing vanilla or rank 5 ones with 2 reload/2 accuracy/increased range. With bow monks and daikyu, you want to bring rank 6 with 2 reload/2 accuracy/increased range/extra ammunition. With bow cav you don't want any upgrades or just the extra ammunition and neither do you want one with the Tetsubo Hero. The other heroes are pretty useless, so it doesn't matter how they are upgraded.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Default Re: Ideal Veteran Upgrades?

I am thinking about this as well. I think not to use all the skill point and tokens is really great idea.

You see, FoS is a gunpowder-based game. So the worst unit and the best unit has the same armor. You spend a unit like 1500 Koku, and they may fall with one blow.

You might think to get some cheap non-vet units to make cannon fodder. But unlike melee battles, you cant directly reinforce a unit on a musket fight, you have to flank the enemy. And even you do that, the enemy will know which of your units is vet and aims it, then deal with the cannon fodder later.

I only get the accuracy and reload speed bonuses until 5. Then I dont even get the legendary accuracy, because it cost 70 koku, and you can find some other unit which can have the same level but lower cost.

I may consider to upgrade morale, because of the armstrong guns, and their devastating effect on morale. But there is no morale upgrade on FoS for some reason.

However, range bonus is whole other thing. I think it is extremely important and cost effective.