Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [EB 1.2][Succession Game] Resurgere Romanii Reipublicae (Rise of the Roman Republic)

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default [EB 1.2][Succession Game] Resurgere Romanii Reipublicae (Rise of the Roman Republic)

Greetings friends, fellow RTW and EB enthusiasts, lovers of all things classical, patricians, senators, legates, consuls and would-be emperors. I welcome you to Resurgere Romanii Reipublicae (Rise of the Roman Republic, or RRR for short) an Europa Barbarorum 1.2 succession game using the Romanii faction starting at turn 1.

A succession game is an ancient and revered way of playing with others, that originally sparked the life in the Throne Room. Where Hotseats are the competitive Total War style game where armies tear at each other for the duration of the whole game, and RPGs are the immersive roleplaying experience where each character is fleshed out and controlled by a player (check our current RPG, Lords of the Danube, ran by Nightbringer), a succession game is a collaboration effort meant to make the SP campaign much more fun, especially for veterans who have already beaten it time and again.

In essence, a succession game is where each player controls the faction for a limited time - he makes all the decisions and fights all the battles. Once his term is up, he saves the game and passes on the save to the next player. Originally this was done with the lifetime of each faction leader, but EB is 4 turns per year, meaning that a 16 year old boy can live approximately 184 turns.

Naturally no one wants to wait that long to get a shot at playing the game. As such this game will follow the election of two pairs of consuls per player. During the times of the Republic a Consul was the highest office that could be held by a Roman. It was elective and there were two at a time, each serving a mandate of one year. Two consecutive pairs of consuls means two years or a total of 8 turns per player. So player 1 plays turns 1 to 8 then saves and passes on to the next player who takes over at turn 9 and so on.

The way we play the game is determined by the player. One may want to hold back, build and defend, while another may want to start conquering and enslaving the enemies of Rome (which is pretty much everyone, really). Roleplaying your FL and FH (the two consuls) according to their traits is encouraged and it could make the game much more fun for the rest of us. We all know that with enough patience we can conquer the whole map, this experience is meant to make that journey much more interesting.

As such, roleplaying a Caligula or Nero if your consul happens to be a bit off his rocker is perfectly fine (plunging the faction into chaos, letting provinces succumb to revolts etc.) It will make the next player try that much harder to restore the glory of the Republic and undo the mishaps of corrupt or decadent men of power. In the second post in this thread I will keep track of each pair of Consuls (FL and FH in-game) and what they did during each mandate. Since multiple players will probably have to contend with the same characters in-game, if you want them to have different names and traits just let me know upon you taking the saves. We will witness the rise of Rome first-hand, and have a nice family tree and history recorded right here!

Some rules are in order however, to make this game more fun. I trust we can establish a gentleman's agreement to follow them:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Do not use the console in any way. We all know we can beat the SP campaign (even I, a relative newcomer to EB but a RTW veteran). This is not a competition nor is it a race. This is a SP experience shared with your fellow Romans and cannot be "won" in any way really.

- Do not surround enemy armies or agents with units to destroy them.

- Do not sell map information/trade/alliance for over 500 Mnai to the AI.

The game will be played on Europa Barbarorum 1.2 using the Alex.exe on Hard/Medium.

List of players and the turn order:

1. Myself
    2. The Celtic Viking
    3. The King
    4. Cecil XIX
    5. slysnake
    6. Nightbringer
    7. Ignoramus

I also encourage everyone to keep a log of what they did while their term was up, so that we can accurately chronicle it for posterity. Have fun and Roma Victor!
    Last edited by Myth; 02-16-2012 at 22:12.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Default Re: [EB succession game] Resurgere Romani Reipublicae (Rise of the Roman Republic)

Map of the world circa 266 BC

Term of: Consul Manius Curius Dentaus and Consul Cnaeus Cornelius Blasio
    Player:
    Myth
    Year 272 BC - 270 BC

Detailed strategical map of the world circa 270 BC
    [

Details on the term:

Year 272 BC - Spring
    Disbanded fleet in the port of Roma
    Retrained both consular armies apart form their units of Triarii, recruited two units of Principes.
    Set all taxes to Very High apart from our recent conquest we start with.

Year 272 BC - Summer
    Started a Type 1 government in the recently conquered province we get at the start.
    Manius moved his consular army into a fort at the border with the Epireios town.
    Cnaeus laid siege to Segesta.
    We signed for peace and trade with the gaul tribe that holds Mediolanum.

Year 272 BC - Autumn
    Segesta's garrison sallies and Epireios attacks with a scouting party. Cnaeus Cornelius Blasio won the battle for Segesta with a Heroic Victory.
    Manius Curius Dentaus continues his siege on Taras.
    The construction of paved roads has started in Roma

Year 272 BC - Winter
    The siege of Taras continues. Manius knows that the enemy will return the mercenary hoplites to hope to lift the siege with all his forces in Italia.
    A mercantile port has been started in Capua by the able governor Scipio.

Year 271 BC - Spring
    With the start of the campaign season Epireios tried to relieve Taras but failed miserably. We have returned the rebellious province to our lands! Various sanitation and goverment improvements throughout the Republic. Manius now remains as temporary governor of Taras until order has been restored.
    Immediately after removing the Epirote presence from Italia, King Phyrros agrees to trade and a ceasefire.

Year 271 BC - Summer
    Construction continues throughout the Republic, while peace is being maintained in all major settlements.
    Sold trade and map information to Makedonia for 500 mnai.

Year 271 BC - Autumn
    Consul Cnaeus and his army return to Roma with the help of a newly aquired drillmaster. There they are refitted, refreshed and joined by a unit of newly formed Equites Romanii. Construction continues throughout the Republic.
    Sold trade and map information to Konion Helion for 500 mnai.

Year 271 BC - Winter
    Cnaeus moves out of Roma and makes good progress north despite the harsh weather. Manius arrives in Capua as Taras is now under young Cota's control and risk of revolt has been avoided. The second consular army now spends winter in Rome's sister city and is refitted, while a new unit of Principes is gathered.

Term of: Consul Manius Curius Dentaus and Consul Lucivs Cornelius Scipio
    Player:
    The Celtic Viking
    Year 270 BC - 268 BC

Detailed strategical map of the world circa 268 BC
    [

Details on the term:

270 BCE – Spring
    The armies were changed and expanded upon with more recruitment from the Socii.

270 BCE – Autumn
    Тaras has grown enough to meet the milestone of 6000 able-bodied men.
    Cnaevs Cornelivs Blasio’s wife has given birth to a new boy and he has been named Lvcivs.

270 BCE – Winter
    An Italian Regional Government has been successfully installed in Ariminum.

269 BCE – Spring
    The campaign to reclaim Rhegion and punish the rebels has begun. The legion led by Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio will reach and besiege the city in the summer.
    A cease fire has been signed with the Arverni.

269 BCE – Summer
    An Italian Regional Government has been successfully installed in Segesta.

269 BCE – Autumn
    Rhegion has been assaulted and captured. Unfortunately, the treacherous captain Avlvs Decivs Ivbellivs was killed in action, and so escaped just punishment. At least he no longer plagues the air with his foul breath.

269 BCE – Winter
    Rhegion has been made into an allied state.

Term of: Consul Cnaeus Cornelius Blasio and Consul Lucius Cornelius Scipio
    Player:
    The King
    Year 268 BC - 266 BC

Detailed strategical map of the world circa 266 BC
    [

Details on the term:

268 BC – Spring
    Lucius Cornelius Scipio heading north towards the capital. The plan is to retrain and reinforce the Consular Legion. Spies sent to Lilibeo and Massalia.

268 BC – Summer
    All across the Republic engineers started constructing many new buildings. Finances are stable and people happy.

268 BC – Autumn
    The Senate decides that Massalia should be conquered to give a foothold in Gallia. From there it would be easy to plan the conquest of Gallic lands. Lucius Cornelius Scipio starts moving towards Massalia.

268 BC – Winter
    No records remain of this season.

267 BC – Spring
    Lucius Cornelius Scipio decides to reinforce his army with a local mercenary unit from Liguria.

267 BC – Summer
    Former Consul Manius Curius Dentatus dies. Lucius Cornelius Scipio finally reach Massalia and besiege the city. Cnaeus Cornelius Blasio, being envious of other peoples' success on the battlefield, decides to meet with his co-Consul near Massalia.

267 BC – Autumn
    Massalia is besieged and all preparations have been made. Lucius Cornelius Scipio is ready to attack the city but then receives the message from Cnaeus Cornelius Blasio and halts the assault. Decision is made to wait few more moths and attack the city together.

Last edited by Myth; 02-23-2012 at 10:02.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default Re: [EB succession game] Resurgere Romani Reipublicae (Rise of the Roman Republic)

I would love to join!
    As long as we play on M/M that is. I have played this mod a lot and wouldn't find the other settings too difficult, but the bonuses they give to the stats of ai units just ruins any immersion in the game for me in battles, and I hope we will be able to try at least a little diplomacy with other factions, whereas VH is just war war war we all kill the player.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

I left the settings out on purpose since other players requested M/M or H/M and did not like VH/M at all. I absolutely agree that VH battles are absurd, some dirty rebel farmers tearing trough units of Principes is just not fun or historical IMO.

VH on the strategy map is nice to give the AI a boost but I've been told that towards the mid-late game the stacks just never stop coming and it makes the game tedious.

Tell you what, we can make it a M/M game and I'll just use the console to give money to every faction we border so that we can't overrun them easily but the guys in the East don't massacre each other or have 25 stacks waiting when we debark in Africa or Asia Minor.

Regarding the two ruling consuls - every player can have a pair made via console. A consul cannot be younger than 35. Choose the pyhsical and mental traits and two positive traits at level 1, I'll add the necessary influence traits to make a character eligible to become a consul. once your term is up you can retire your characters as proconsul (governing a province) and hopefully if they're still around the next time your term comes up, you can have them reinstated as consuls once more.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I left the settings out on purpose since other players requested M/M or H/M and did not like VH/M at all. I absolutely agree that VH battles are absurd, some dirty rebel farmers tearing trough units of Principes is just not fun or historical IMO.

VH on the strategy map is nice to give the AI a boost but I've been told that towards the mid-late game the stacks just never stop coming and it makes the game tedious.

Tell you what, we can make it a M/M game and I'll just use the console to give money to every faction we border so that we can't overrun them easily but the guys in the East don't massacre each other or have 25 stacks waiting when we debark in Africa or Asia Minor.

Regarding the two ruling consuls - every player can have a pair made via console. A consul cannot be younger than 35. Choose the pyhsical and mental traits and two positive traits at level 1, I'll add the necessary influence traits to make a character eligible to become a consul. once your term is up you can retire your characters as proconsul (governing a province) and hopefully if they're still around the next time your term comes up, you can have them reinstated as consuls once more.
    In my experience the ai does pretty well at having enough armies on M in EB, but if it becomes an issue you can do money injections. Also, I like the idea of keeping consuls around, but I want random traits myself. I will pick a couple existing characters to use.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

I would play H/M if I were you, based on my EB experiences. I would also recommend using the Alex exe file as it seems to make the AI more competent.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

NB: Well yeah, though this is not an RPG and a player can still use all the resources available to a faction. The serving Consuls are mainly to have a coherent line of sucession between players and to see who did what and when.

We also have to decide who goes first, who second etc. That can be done via RNG.

Monkey:
    How do I make it use alex.exe? Thanks!

Monkey:
    How do I make it use alex.exe? Thanks!
    check this out

I played several campaigns with standard EB then tried using BI.exe but found it naval-invasion crazy to ridiculous degrees. Finally settled on Alex.exe and found it to be good. It's not miraculous but it is definitely better than vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    check this out

I played several campaigns with standard EB then tried using BI.exe but found it naval-invasion crazy to ridiculous degrees. Finally settled on Alex.exe and found it to be good. It's not miraculous but it is definitely better than vanilla.
    Well, i will have to find myself a copy of Alexander somewhere, but I'm fine with that. and would H/M be hard campaign, medium battles, because I would be okay with that. I just can't stand unit stat changes for the ai.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Well, i will have to find myself a copy of Alexander somewhere, but I'm fine with that. and would H/M be hard campaign, medium battles, because I would be okay with that. I just can't stand unit stat changes for the ai.
    I think you can get it for a few bucks these days. But don't do it on my account, I'm probably not going to join this game. Don't have EB installed and don't really have time for SP anymore...

yeah, I meant H campaign M battles. I can't stand the crazy stat bonuses either.

By the way you might consider using the whole minimod pack. I ended up using most of it. Sinuhet's formations are good and make battles against the AI more challenging and the win conditions mod makes the AI factions expand more historically.

oh, and the naval stratmap mod makes the water real perty like
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 02-09-2012 at 12:08.

Thanks guys. I added a title image, a map of the world which will be updated with Roman flags denoting conquests as well as indicators of notable battles. It will be updated very 2 in-game years.

Below each map we will see the term served by the player and his consuls and what transpired. I also added a Roman standard I made in a jiffy which can be used in your IC posts etc. if you want. Signatures are also available upon request.
    Last edited by Myth; 02-09-2012 at 13:34.

I'd love to join! But may I have a suggestion? Why don't we make it that Player 1 does turn 1, Player 2 turn 2, Player 1 turn 3 etc. It would reflect the somewhat competitive and sometimes conflicting nature of the dual executive. It could also lead to fun situations - one player being more cautious, but then having his patience wrecked by his more aggressive co-consul - a la Lake Trasimene.

Edit: Also pardon my ignorance, but why are you using an infinitive instead of a noun for rise?
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 02-09-2012 at 13:29.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Welcome Igno! The ignorance is all mine since I'm using google translate How is the proper way to say it? BTW how is it that you know Latin? Let me know so I can fix the image too while I'm still at work. (Romanii I suppose? I'll change it to Romanii, let me know if there are more mistakes)

I'd rather have each player get 8 turns simply to differentiate this from a hotseat where your turn comes up very frequently. Also, in 1 turn you can plan on doing something but your plans might be ruined or just not picked up by your successor. I want that history tab to show what each player accomplished - and each one will leave his mark when his term is up. It's hard to do something of note (good or bad) in just one turn really, at least it won't be completely your own effort but rather inherited by the guy before you.

The world map will be updated every 2 years (8 turns) and with the IC description I or the player gives we will get an idea of how his "rule" went. It is a succession game after all.

BTW Monkey can you change the thread name to "[EB 1.2][Succession Game] Resurgere Romanii Reipublicae (Rise of the Roman Republic)" please? I change the title but the name in the forum stays as it was.

That submod pack looks superb and I suggest we all use it for this game.
    Last edited by Myth; 02-09-2012 at 13:49.

I could play one session if you need players.

If I get lousy consuls, can I everything up to roleplay them? Like letting AI fight and lose horribly.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 02-09-2012 at 22:19.

Hi Stark, we have plenty of players from the thread in the RTW section. You are not encouraged to play badly on purpose unless you want to roleplay that extensively. Not simply taking the save, ruining it for the others and abandoning the game. Anyway getting consuls with bad character traits will take a good while since the starting characters are superb.

Also profanity is not allowed on the .org

Sign me up :)

Myth, you have a lot of courage using that image for a EB game. I don't want a flame war starting about "you know what" here.

Welcome Slysnake!

NB, well I don't care really. They did not earn my respect when not one of them stepped up for a RTW hotseat No but seriously, I gave them a disclaimer about the red colour and the lorica segmentata etc. The images are made on the fly while I was at work and they promote the SPQR "feel". I know we have an erroneous feel from popular media but it's still popular aye? Plus it's really hard to come across reallistic images of Roman legionaries using hamata and plainly coloured grabs, and downright impossible to find one worthy of a title image. I could yet again make it with a screenshot but the RTW engine is nowhere near as pretty as the M2TW one so they won't look as good as the image for WiC for example.

Overall though, not one of them responded to the two posts I made about this game, so I don't really count on them coming here. The EB section seems pretty closed off to me.

I don't really mind the image myself, I just find it amusing how big a deal gets made of that particular issue.

As to the people over at the EB forum, its too bad none of them showed interest, but from reading through your thread the offers you made were kind of lost amid the other discussion.

I posted in the "Post your EB empire" thread that gets a ton of views. There is another thread in the regular RTW forum as well. OK now we're waiting for the guys from the RTW section to come and give us their thoughts and we can start. Is everyone OK with using the submod compilation?

I guess i would be okay with that. which exe are we using?

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Yeah, I'm still up for this. As for the submod, sure. The city mod seemed to disable the Celtic reforms for me when I tried it, but since we're playing the SPQR that might not matter much anyway. Re: exe, I agree with Phonic's that in terms of gameplay quality, the alex exe is easily the best one. It has retraining for the AI and at times quite an aggressive eleutheroi (rebels) even at lower campaign difficulties.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 02-09-2012 at 22:16.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sign me up.

Edit: Myth, may I suggest the map I'm using in my game? It's much easier to edit that map than some other ones. Also, that antiquity styled map have couple of provinces missing.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 02-09-2012 at 23:38.

The King: this is the EB map made by the team and It's main advantage (apart from being adequate to the historical time frame and using historical names) is that it's large enough to be viewed nicely in full size. I won't add flags to each and every province we conquer, this is rather to notice the spreading of Roman influence as the game progresses. Larger flags for important cities - Rome, Carthage, Alexandria, Sparta, Seleucia, and smaller ones to encompass less important regions.

Which is the map you mentioned?

I propose we give H/M a try with Alex.exe what do you all think?

Oh, and apparently the morale bonus is bugged for temples, meaning the Temple to Ceres is by far the best choice available to the faction. Read here.
    Last edited by Myth; 02-10-2012 at 11:56.

That's not necessarily true. FMs get different traits depending on what temples you have and I'd bet Mars is still the best choice for raising military leaders. As for the bonuses given by Ceres I think they're rather "meh", actually, since as Rome there'll never be any want for money anyway. As such getting the bonuses to law that Minerva or even better Jupiter offer is more useful IMO.

Check the link, numerically Ceres is superior. Well in vanilla I used to pool all my slaves into the two Italian cities I had to get to the reforms at turn 20 or so. Not sure if there's a point to do this now Rome and the other type 1 cities. Might get to a point where we get negative growth for squalor if too many slaves are pumped into Rome without the corresponding +health/happiness/-squalor buildings.

Check the link, numerically Ceres is superior. Well in vanilla I used to pool all my slaves into the two Italian cities I had to get to the reforms at turn 20 or so. Not sure if there's a point to do this now Rome and the other type 1 cities. Might get to a point where we get negative growth for squalor if too many slaves are pumped into Rome without the corresponding +health/happiness/-squalor buildings.
    Due to the scripting of EB that would actually jsut give many other factions reforms, but not rome itself. So I definitely don't think we should pump rome's pop.

You might want to consider whether or not to use the city mod (included by default in the mini mod pack) - it restricts huge cities to just one or two that were historically big

I did check the link before I posted that, and I still say Ceres is inferior (though by no means useless). When I have more money than I can make use of anyway I'd take high happiness and high law over high happiness, + trade and + pop growth any day.

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey
    You might want to consider whether or not to use the city mod (included by default in the mini mod pack) - it restricts huge cities to just one or two that were historically big
    Yeah, that reminds me though, that when I used the mod pack with the city mod, the Celtic reforms never happened. That's something to take into that consideration.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 02-11-2012 at 23:30.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in! Not picky on the rules either, I'll go with whatever's decided.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast