Thread: Can the Medieval executable be altered for a mod?

Question Can the Medieval executable be altered for a mod?

Hmm.. I've found out how to change event dates like Compass, Gunpowder, Mongol Invasion, etc. but it involves modifying main exe file. I'd like to know is it legal? Can I add modified exe to my mod or eventually a small program that will change user's exe?
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Default Re: HEX Editing

Stazi,

Absolutely negative. Off limits. No. Non. Njet.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

I've asked the rest of the staff about this, and am awaiting responses. I will also need to parse through the EULA when I get home. My uneducated guess is that this is not illegal, but might be against the license agreement. I have seen mods/user patches on other games that modify the .exe in this manner before, but there may be agreements in place that allowed them.

Been searching the .data/.cinit segments, have we?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I've asked the rest of the staff about this, and am awaiting responses. I will also need to parse through the EULA when I get home. My uneducated guess is that this is not illegal, but might be against the license agreement. I have seen mods/user patches on other games that modify the .exe in this manner before, but there may be agreements in place that allowed them.
    O RLY? Well, that's news to me. When it comes to modding, I've always believed firmly that modding the main exe of a game is piracy, and as such strictly forbidden - "anything but the exe". Can't say that I have seen anything like that outside of the torrent scene. Or it may as you say, be a matter of agreement and/or abandonware.

Anyways, the more ways to improve MTW in, the better.

Ok, checked the EULA off the VI disk. The paragraph on mods:
    Quote Originally Posted by EULA
    THE PROGRAM UTILITIES: The Program contains certain design, programming and processing utilities, tools, assets and other resources (“the Program Utilities”) for use with the Program that allow you to create customized new game levels and other related game materials for personal use in connection with the Program (“New Game Materials”). The use of the Program Utilities is subject to the following additional license restrictions:
    • You agree that, as a condition to your using the Program Utilities, you will not use or allow third parties to use the Program Utilities and the New Game Materials created by you for any commercial purposes, including but not limited to selling, renting, leasing, licensing, distributing, or otherwise transferring the ownership of such New Game Materials, whether on a stand alone basis or packaged in combination with the New Game Materials created by others, through any and all distribution channels, including, without limitation, retail sales and on-line electronic distribution. You agree not to solicit, initiate or encourage any proposal or offer from any person or entity to create any New Game Materials for commercial distribution. You agree to promptly inform Activision in writing of any instances of your receipt of any such proposal or offer.
    • If you decide to make available the use of the New Game Materials created by you to other gamers, you agree to do so solely without charge.
    New Game Materials shall not contain modifications to any COM, EXE or DLL files or to any other executable Product files.
    • New Game Materials may be created only if such New Game Materials can be used exclusively in combination with the retail version of the Program. New Game Materials may not be designed to be used as a stand-alone product.
    • New Game Materials must not contain any illegal, obscene or defamatory materials, materials that infringe rights of privacy and publicity of third parties or (without appropriate irrevocable licenses granted specifically for that purpose) any trademarks, copyright-protected works or other properties of third parties.
    • All New Game Materials must contain prominent identification at least in any on-line description and with reasonable duration on the opening screen: (a) the name and E-mail address of the New Game Materials’ creator(s) and (b) the words “THIS MATERIAL IS NOT MADE OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION.”
    So I'm guessing no on changing the .exe.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Ok, checked the EULA off the VI disk. The paragraph on mods:
    So I'm guessing no on changing the .exe.
    Sad news but I'd like to thank you for your time and efforts. I really appreciate it.

• New Game Materials shall not contain modifications to any COM, EXE or DLL files or to any other executable Product files.
    So..I'm not allowed to include in my mod anything that modifies com, exe or dll but may I add external link to a file or program which will do it? Eventually, may I add a detailed guide "how to do it" saying something like "you do it at your own risk"? It's not a rocket science, just hex editing.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    So..I'm not allowed to include in my mod anything that modifies com, exe or dll but may I add external link to a file or program which will do it? Eventually, may I add a detailed guide "how to do it" saying something like "you do it at your own risk"? It's not a rocket science, just hex editing.
    This becomes a "spirit of the law" vs. "letter of the law" kind of thing. A guide on how to do it might be ok, whereas distributing a modified .exe or program to modify the .exe might not be.

I think I'll break this discussion off into a new thread. The staff will try to get a CA rep to chime in as well.

Seems that the matter is almost clear then. My intention wasn't to alarm anyone by strongly advising not to bring this up in the forums, but merely to stave off any unwanted....reaction. I know that some game and mod forums I've frequented in the past had a policy to warn or even ban members who bring up such topics. Glad the .org is not one of them, though.

Default Re: Can the Medieval executable be altered for a mod?

Understandable, Durango. The forum rules are pretty clear on warez/piracy, but Stazi's question isn't about cracking the game. Given the age of the game and it's well-researched, hardcoded quirks, I suppose this kind of question was inevitable at some point.

The pertinent section of the Org rules FAQ:
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Posts containing addresses of warez sites or anything piracy-related: note that this includes "hacks" designed to enable Total War games to run without a CD. The administration is aware of the fact that some use a "no-CD hack" for the purpose of enhancing their system performance, but we feel that the possible illegal benefits from these hacks outweigh all other considerations. Such hacks also require reverse engineering of the game, and this is in violation of the End User Licence Agreement. Anything pertaining to software piracy in general is highly discouraged.
    We know Stazi isn't trying to circumvent the copy-protection scheme, but the alteration would still violate the EULA. So at this point, I am inclined to allow this discussion (the question of "can I?") continue until we get some more feedback. I would strongly discourage the posting of methods/guides or links to modified .exe files until we get a decision though.