Thread: Hippeis Thessalikoi as KH General Bodygaurd

Default Hippeis Thessalikoi as KH General Bodygaurd

I am trying to give the KH a cavalry bodyguard. I previoulsly attempted with Arche Seluikia's cataphracts and failed miserably. I was hoping to use the mercenary Hippeis Thessalikoi or AS cataphracts but get a fail when loading any battle. What is it that I'm missing. I don't have a copy of the edu I attempted to use available anymore. Thanks.

Default Re: Hippeis Thessalikoi as KH General Bodygaurd

I think it's getting complicated because you tried to use a mercenary unit, then a unit belonging to another faction.

My advice is to try another unit. One that is available to the KH faction natively, and has a large recruitment area.

Try:
    Hippeis Xystophoroi (Greek Noble Cavalry): http://europabarbarorum.heimstatt.ne...tegory=cavalry

Greek Noble Cavalry are almost as good as the Thessalian Heavy Cavalry, and have a much wider recruitment area.

P.S. Don't forget to add 'general_unit' onto the attributes line for the changed Greek General's Bodyguard, as Hippeis Xystophoroi won't have it by default.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 02-19-2012 at 00:31.

If I use the Hippeis Xistophoria, will I still be able to recruit the hippeis xystophoria as normal units?

You will if you copy the entry for Hippeis Xistophoria (ONLY from the type line downward, don't include the number above that), then paste it over the default Greek General's Bodyguard (greek_infantry_greek_general)
    and add in general_unit onto the attributes line. You might want to take out the slave ownership too.

Make sure you change '722' to '0' under stat_cost so you don't end up paying more upkeep on the unit than you should - family member bodyguards pay upkeep in a different way to normal units.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 02-19-2012 at 00:47.

Working awesome so far only 2 issues I have, 1 is pretty cool, the 2nd I feel is cheating. My 3 starting Spartan Generals all kept their spartan bodygaurd. The athenian and Rhodes general both got cavalry. How did this happen, although I really like it. 2nd is that while my spartan generals have ~120 troops in their unit (which is proper), my cavalry has 120 as well which is quite a bit more compared to Mak's 80 for a faction leader.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

if u want to change those 3 generals you have to go to the descr_strat in the campaign map. they are "special" generals and have a different bodyguard than regulars.

also they have 120 because thats the number in the descr_strat.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 02-20-2012 at 01:27.

We do not sow.

I think the situation is like this:

If you change the bodyguard of the KH fms, you do so without "notifying" the game(like with MoT BG reform). It's similar to changeing a texture without doing any fancy code magic, by just editing the texture file(and exporting it into the correct format), the texture ingame changes without any other changes.
    The Spartan BGs come from a script that replaces the standard BG with these "Special" ones, you however changed the standard one so it overwrites them as if they were epilektoi(the standard KH BG).

For the increaced unit size I may have some theories but they neither help you solve the "problem" nor base on much RTW modding knowledge^^
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

I think he was referring to his non-spartan bodyguards and wants to reduce the number of riders with them to match the numbers with the other factions' cavalry bodyguards. I have no real idea how to do this, except maybe if there is something like a "base count" value in the EDU entry you created for the new bodyguard unit...? In that case, you could try lowering it, like, if it is 80, put it to 40.
    BUT I must stress that I have never edited my EDU like this and don't really know what I am talking about.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Quote Originally Posted by tujo33 View Post
    Working awesome so far only 2 issues I have, 1 is pretty cool, the 2nd I feel is cheating. My 3 starting Spartan Generals all kept their spartan bodygaurd. The athenian and Rhodes general both got cavalry. How did this happen, although I really like it. 2nd is that while my spartan generals have ~120 troops in their unit (which is proper), my cavalry has 120 as well which is quite a bit more compared to Mak's 80 for a faction leader.
    Change this:

soldier hellenistic_cavalry_xystophoroi_thessalian_kleruchoihippeis_extraordinarii, 25, 0, 1

to this:

soldier hellenistic_cavalry_xystophoroi_thessalian_kleruchoihippeis_extraordinarii, 10, 0, 1

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Of course when you recruit them now they will only have 20 men, unless you create a separate entry for them.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

That looks like it will work. Thanks alot. I will try it as soon all my original spartan FM's have died.

This is working well, but the issue i have now is that the sons when they come of age have a libian mercenary bodygaurd unit?

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tujo33 View Post
    This is working well, but the issue i have now is that the sons when they come of age have a libian mercenary bodygaurd unit?
    Sadly your faction ran out of money, thus you get what you get for bodyguards. My suggestion is raise taxes!

But seriously, you must have made a mistake. The correct way to make this change is to change this:
    Code:
    ;435
    type             greek infantry greek general
    dictionary       greek_infantry_greek_general      ; Greek General's Bodyguard
    category         infantry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       General_1
    soldier          hellenistic_infantry_epikletoi_hoplitai, 20, 0, 1.22
    officer          ebofficer_hellenic_standardbearer
    mount_effect     elephant -1
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, general_unit, hardy
    formation        0.7, 1, 1.6, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 1
    stat_pri         17, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 0 ,0.13
    stat_pri_attr    light_spear
    stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 0 ,0.1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  14, 11, 4, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        5
    stat_ground      0, 0, -3, -3
    stat_mental      16, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 2077, 0, 60, 504, 2077
    ownership        greek_cities
    Into this:

Code:
    ;435
    type             greek infantry greek general
    dictionary       greek_cavalry_hippeis_xystophoroi      ; Hippeis Xystophoroi
    category         cavalry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       General_1
    soldier          hellenistic_cavalry_xystophoroi_thessalian_kleruchoihippeis_extraordinarii, 10, 0, 1
    mount            saddle horse heavy
    mount_effect     elephant -1, chariot +2
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, general_unit
    formation        1.5, 4, 3, 6, 4, square
    stat_health      1, 1
    stat_pri         4, 34, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 180 ,0.38
    stat_pri_attr    ap
    stat_sec         9, 15, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, slashing, sword, 0 ,0.11
    stat_sec_attr    ap
    stat_pri_armour  13, 9, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        4
    stat_ground      0, 0, -4, -2
    stat_mental      14, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 3088, 0, 80, 120, 3088
    ownership        greek_cities
    If you copy and paste the above you should be good to go. I changed the unit size, added general_unit, changed ownership to only greek_cities and zeroed the upkeep.
    Last edited by fallen851; 05-19-2012 at 21:22.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Is it possible that it was because my faction was at - 2000 when he came of age? As for the above entry mine was exact. Thanks.

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Shouldn't this be in the mod section?

@Moros ?

~Jirisys ()
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because we all need to compensate...

Note to self: Stop mentally confusing 'Hippeis' with 'Hippies' - whenever I see Greek cavalry in EB I instantly imagine hippies on horseback - I can't think of a less effective cavalry unit...

Note to self 2: Shut up.