Thread: HOF 2011 FAQ thread

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Default HOF 2011 FAQ thread

1) Say, what's this about, anyway?

Please see the other stickied thread.

2) Can New Members participate?

New Members may nominate, but cannot vote, even if they are promoted to Member during the process. This is to prevent people creating multiple accounts to influence the voting procedure. New Members can be nominated and win an award.

3) What happens if there's a tie?

In case of a tie, all nominees tied for first place get the award.

4) What about if there's only one nominee? None?

If there's one nominee, then that nominee wins the award by default. If there are no nominees, then nobody wins the award and the category will probably be retired next year.

5) I feel as if Category X should be included.

Feel free to make suggestions for additional categories in this thread or through PM. If enough support exists, the category will be added.

6) When will the nomination period close?

Nominations will run for about two weeks. The nomination period closes on March 23th 2012, at 12.00 pm GMT+1.

7) What is the time frame and procedure for determining the winners?

After the nominations close, all valid nominations will be gathered and added to polls for each award. The polls will be put up (it usually takes a day or two to get from the closure of nominations to the start of the voting, so don't panic if you see this subforum disappear for two days after nominations are closed). Voting will last for approximately ten to fifteen days. After the voting is closed, the results will be announced and the awards will be distributed as soon as possible.

8) Where is the "Senior Member" category?

The appointment of senior members has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame. Senior members are chosen by staff, not voted by anyone.

9) I am the greatest! Can I nominate myself?

We're glad you have such high self-esteem, but no (This extends towards events you have hosted as well, such as Gameroom games, Hotseat campaigns, and interactive histories). Besides, Andres is the greatest. Claming otherwise is considered blasphemy and you'll end up burning at the stake if you claim to be the greatest and you are not Andres.

10) I don't want an HOF award. HOF awards are for losers!

If you are nominated, but you do not wish to receive an award or to participate in the poll(s), please send a PM to one of the organizers and we'll happily fulfill your wish.

11) I can't see how the polls are going!

Good, this means the software is working. All polls are secret.

12) After the voting has been closed and the results been published, can you see who voted for who?

Nope.

13) Am I allowed to bribe the organizers?

But of course! You're even encouraged to do so! Keep in mind that you will not be receiving anything for this donation, but it will be greatly appreciated by Andres the mighty and you will be allowed to carry the title "Grand Donater to good causes".

14) Gah! I have another HOF 2011 .Org Awards related question!

Just post here.
    Last edited by Andres; 03-08-2012 at 23:58.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: HOF 2011 FAQ thread

Just to clarify - we can nominate more than one. When the time for voting comes, we can vote only once and only for one option (person) right?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Just to clarify - we can nominate more than one. When the time for voting comes, we can vote only once and only for one option (person) right?
    That is correct. You can nominate more than one person, but you can only vote for one person in the polls.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

In honor of certain players in the MP field, I respectfully request the following be added on into the MP side of the HOF.

Most flamboyant player

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Jan III Sobieski View Post
    In honor of certain players in the MP field, I respectfully request the following be added on into the MP side of the HOF.

Most flamboyant player
    Could you give us some reasoning behind the suggestion? What do you define as flamboyant? :3
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Andres - I can see the poll results. Not who voted but how many votes someone have. Is this intentional? I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    @Andres - I can see the poll results. Not who voted but how many votes someone have. Is this intentional? I guess not.
    I noticed it as well. I can't seem to figure out how to make the results hidden, so I've asked our TA staff for help.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it's an option you can tick while you're creating the polls. You may have to do the entire thing over again.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

I unchecked the box "make votes public", but apparently, it only hides the names of the persons who voted, not the results themselves. There's no other box that indicates that the results can be made private.

EDIT: ok, problem should be fixed now. Thank you @TinCow
    Last edited by Andres; 03-28-2012 at 22:25.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Can one vote for themselves or in a poll they are nominated in?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Can one vote for themselves or in a poll they are nominated in?
    It's not the most sportsmanlike thing to do, but yes, it's allowed.

Ja mata, TosaInu