Thread: Cavalry charges revisited

Default Cavalry charges revisited

I'm not having any success with massed (several units) cavalry.

I form up on high ground, , I wait, my infantry is engaged with the target. My cavalry strolls into the enemy. Sometimes. Sometimes they charge.

I've been reading on this in the forum, and it's a lot, and some is old, but is there a final verdict on the best way?

Is it better to use all the same kind of unit? Or do them individually?

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Cavalry charges revisited

I suppose it depends on what version of the game you're using. Lined up perfectly on level ground, cavalry charges beautifully with a single click on the enemy.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am playing the Third Age LOTR mod to MTW2, and it does not work consistantly.

Try to press alt when you charge to enemy with cavalry. That should force cavalry use lances instead of swords (which ruins the whole charge).

Beware! Relentless Looter! Member Flavius Merobaudes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Band View Post
    Try to press alt when you charge to enemy with cavalry. That should force cavalry use lances instead of swords (which ruins the whole charge).
    The opposite is true. Pressing Alt forces the unit to use its secondary weapon - in this case swords.

To OP: It is almost impossible to have two or more cavalry charge the same target simultaneously and from the same direction. Reason: To perform the charge with lowered lances, the unit has to be in an orderly formation. It's pretty realistic too - you can't have two unit of knights charge without piercing each other.
    So I suggest you manage your cavalry units individually. Formation is everything...

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try practicing with quick battles, such as a single unit of Mailed Knights against a full stack of peasants. That should help with gaining an intuitive understanding of how they work.