Thread: How to silence the new battle announcer?

Default How to silence the new battle announcer?

Does anyone to know to silence the new FotS battle announcer? The American cowboy guy. Please, save my sanity! I cannot stand his voice - it's awful, each time he opens his mouth it's like someone attacking my nerves with a cheese-grater. Half the stuff he says isn't even relevant, like warnings my men are about to rout as soon as I click "begin battle", or telling me my units can open fire when the enemy are miles out of range for everyone.

Muting all voices makes it harder to play. Having him shouting away destroys my concentration. Maybe there's a way to override the voice files or something.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Default Re: How to silence the new battle announcer?

Did they get Strike For The South to do some voiceover work?
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

I bet there's some way to just have FotS reference the vanilla announcer voice via mods.

I'd guess thats a sneaky way to increace difficulty.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Member thankful for this post:

Andres 

Blog Entries

is it that guy in the the story trailer?

Same voice actor but while he sounds kind of normal there, he sounds like a mix between a gunslinger and foghorn leghorn.

He sounds like Bill Clinton.

I'd like to deep six the floating red and yellow tower balloons, too. They need a toggle like the giant throbbing unit banners have.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    He sounds like Bill Clinton.
    When's the last time you heard Bill Clinton speak?

Oh happy days! There's now a mod to save my ears! :watches download progress like a hawk:

EDIT: Nope, my ears are still doomed. The mod said it didn't fix the advisor; I thought it meant the fellow I have turned off, the one with the newbie tips. Unfortunately, it seems that that's Yosemite Sam. He's still there, bawling away about being ready to attack non-existent allies who are running away from preachers when my general is in grave danger.

The units now all speak proper Japanese though, so that's a partial improvement. The new unit speech is correct for the period too - Armstrong gunners say "Armstrong [something in Japanese]" when you click on them. No idea why this wasn't included in the English release. If you dislike the Engrish units, try this mod.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 03-31-2012 at 14:17.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Thanks for the link to this mod, Frogbeastegg.

Yes, Bubba is still there but at least we hear Japanese from the Japanese now. That’s a good thing.

Now if I could just get rid of those annoying red/yellow tower indicators...
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I saw the film 'hidden blade' 2 weeks ago which is set in the time period of the bakumatsu. There is a cannon drilling scene where the instructor uses Dutch commands (in a Japanese accent of course). I found it great. If only thhey could mod these things in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Oh amazing =oooo

No more Engrish...
    /me downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    Bubba
    The 'Battlefield Voice Of Amphibian Irritation' is now officially renamed. Bubba: find him, silence him, dead or alive.

It is amazing how a certain person's voice or accent can drive you absolutely batty.

This is amazing, they do sound a lot more... authentic. Even more than in the original game.

Oh yeah, I'm finding Bubba annoying as well. I really despise how the stereotypical American used in media nowadays is usually a Southerner. Ugh.

It has been a while since I wrote on the forum, but I decided to break my silence and sacrifice 5 minutes of my time to write a few short lines.

What I write now may seem rude, offensive, or something similar, maybe it is to a degree ...

I have come to sort of accept C.A.'s approach of eyecandy the games since Rome Total War, even to trie to milk every product as much as possible for a couple of more Euros or dollars, I mean let's be realistic, we live in a world where money is God, period.

But I can't understand with my limited braincells whom came up with the "original idea" to milk the Last Samurai to the bone, as they even added "Bubba" or as I call him colonel Bagley.

I know my knowledge of Japanese history is limited, but as far as I recall the USA did not play such a huge role in Japans army modernization. It was actually the Prussian (Germans) whom influenced them the most. But then again, I could be wrong.

If some of you recall the 1st Shogun, they even had the option that allowed you to select if you wanted to hear the throne rooms advisors voice and all game sounds in Japanese or English with a Japanese accent. The choice was given to the player, not forced upon.
    Even the English was pleasing to the ears, as it seemed to be the voice of an elderly gentlemen, calm, whom was giving only some advice, sharing his experience with the Daimyo. It seems clear now that the good old days are long gone, and instead we have a pop culture, sell all you can, please the masses policy, after all Rome thought us, there is no need for culture, only panem et circum.

I admit I bought both games (Shogun 2 + Fall of the Samurai) with all DLC's, except the bloodpack which seems to only add gore to the game and splash blood the screen, perhaps good for more eyecandy ?

Alas, this is not meant as deconstructive criticism, just as a single players mild disappointment, whom finds that modders are the salvation : 250 MB file that saves me from most of the engrish.

Best regards, and long live the modders !
    Dex
    Last edited by Dexter; 04-05-2012 at 09:57. Reason: Spelling as always
    "One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
    One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
    One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle."

Deconstruction that certainly wasn't!

Blog Entries

You know I really wish the kept the advisors from Rome and Medieval 2, they were easy to the ears and I didnt even mind that high pitched teenager they got to say "the day is ours!"
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    Does anyone to know to silence the new FotS battle announcer? The American cowboy guy. Please, save my sanity! I cannot stand his voice - it's awful, each time he opens his mouth it's like someone attacking my nerves with a cheese-grater. Half the stuff he says isn't even relevant, like warnings my men are about to rout as soon as I click "begin battle", or telling me my units can open fire when the enemy are miles out of range for everyone.

Muting all voices makes it harder to play. Having him shouting away destroys my concentration. Maybe there's a way to override the voice files or something.
    Hi all. Inspired by this thread, I've created a mod that hopefully muzzles this guy. It's posted here in the mods section: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?141072-FotS-Aide-de-Camp-Silencer-%28beta%29

Give it a shot and let me know if it's working as intended or has any conflicts. I hated him too

Members thankful for this post (2):

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kurisu.

I'll test it out tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Hi all. Inspired by this thread, I've created a mod that hopefully muzzles this guy. It's posted here in the mods section: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?141072-FotS-Aide-de-Camp-Silencer-%28beta%29

Give it a shot and let me know if it's working as intended or has any conflicts. I hated him too
    Gasp! Downloading right away - I'll report back as soon as I've tested it. Thank you so much for making this!

I've taken to playing FotS in total silence. As much as I love the music and other audio, I just can't live with Bubba's shouting. Disabling all audio feels less strange than disabling voices only.

There are actually a number of alternate tracks present that never play for different triggers, which would make the Aide de Camp vastly less irritating. There's 4 others for troops routing in old S2 that don't contain "shameful display", for example. Either that's bugged or they needed to save audio memory.

It would be cool if your advisor's voice changed in FotS based on the presence of different foreign nationals (and didn't suck ).
    Last edited by Kurisu; 04-13-2012 at 20:03.

My test battle passed in battle silence, and lo, tranquillity was restored to my house and peace to my soul. Thank you for making this.

The original announcer is still present for Sengoku and RotS battles, in case anyone was wondering. The mod isn't a choice between all or none.

Ah, good to hear (pun!)

At some point I can put one together for S2 and RotS and maybe a combined pack, if there's any interest and someone else hasn't already.

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Ah, good to hear (pun!)
    [The Pun Council is investigating this post for possible misidentification of Pun.]

Blog Entries

[The union for the ethical treatment of the common word is pettitioning the Pun council to end the suffering caused by the aformentioned wordplay]
    :P
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-14-2012 at 17:52.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    [The Pun Council is investigating this post for possible misidentification of Pun.]
    The hearing will be held on Monday.
    This space intentionally left blank

Crap, I missed all of this.

Can I get an extension? I may wish to withdraw my hasty classification or at least come up with a really shoddy defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post

I know my knowledge of Japanese history is limited, but as far as I recall the USA did not play such a huge role in Japans army modernization. It was actually the Prussian (Germans) whom influenced them the most. But then again, I could be wrong.
    That's my understanding as well. I did read that Satsuma hired an American Civil War vet to train officers, but they fired him after a year because he was converting his students to Christianity.

"Damn lily-livered cowards!"
    (Read it in your head with the voice actor's voice, please.)