Thread: Avoiding negative traits

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Avoiding negative traits

In S2, I had little trouble avoiding negative traits. Most negative traits I've seen are caused by inactivity from the general/agent and my border was flexible enough that most of the time it didn't come to that. Besides most of the time those traits weren't that detrimental to the role of the particular general/agent. So I didn't actively try to counter gathering negative traits.

In FotS however, my borders are far more rigid and the game far slower. As such I found it very easy to get the negative trait that reduces campaign movement. On top of that, the impact seems far greater with the already reduced movement.
    It seems I'll have to use my age old MTW trick of moving my general/agent out of the castle and putting him/her back the next turn.

Are there any other ways to avoid negative traits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Default Re: Avoiding negative traits

I think the 'eye for the ladies' trait is given only if no movement points have been used by the end of the turn, so, yeah, move in and out.

Default Re: Avoiding negative traits

How about 'Self Interested' for metsuke? I see that one a lot since the FotS patch. It looks to be assigned when you recruit the agent. Supposedly it decreases farming wealth by -1. What does that mean? One multiplier level, like from meager to barren? If you mouse over the farming wealth in the town panel it doesn't give any indication that anything is affecting it though.

As far as avoiding them, except for the movement oriented traits for generals it doesn't seem so. Likewise for wives' traits that get imparted to your general; you can't see them ahead of time and they aren't always ideal, say for certain comissioner's posts. What I tend to do is develop the character based around those traits. So a fat, slow general goes down the skill tree that boosts bushido and/or defense. The difference usually isn't all that important (should be larger imho), but it does add some role-playing flavor.
    Last edited by Kurisu; 04-13-2012 at 20:30.