Thread: weird family member...

Default weird family member...

I thought that fms could only be of the culture of the faction in question. Playing as the Romans I noticed that Pontos had been reduced to one city (Sinope) and (seeing as I want to keep as many factions alive as possible, and I was overflowing with mnai at the time) I thought that I would rescue Pontos by bribing the Seleucid army that was besieging them. This was a Seleucid fm, who turns out to have been a bribed Pontos fm (so he's effectively been bribed twice), Antipatros Kianos, or some such.

The weird thing is he's turned up on my family tree in all his eastern glory, and started picking up Romani traits and ancillaries. Anybody else had this happen to them? And, is it going to cause me problems?

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Default Re: weird family member...

No problems AFAIK. For example, I've had a Germanic FM, who served some time as an Aedui FM before I convinced him to join my side. He went on to become Consul. Another of my best generals was "Enemnogenos Gallicus", a celebrated Triumphator...

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

The trait system of EB is enormous and amazing but it was never fully finished from what I saw in the trait files. And it seems to me that there're some parts are far older then other ones what isn't really surprising but because of that there're different ways of getting to similar results. Some triggers/traits use specials traits that mark a FM as member of certain faction or even tribe/city but other triggers/traits only look up if a FM is member of a certain faction or culture. As far as I understood it, the engine doesn't remember from what faction your bribed FM came from and now recognizes them as member of the faction that bribed him, so he now can aquire traits that are assigned to his new faction only.

I hope you understand what I want to say. When I was writing I could hardly find the words to say what I wanted to say and my personal english translator isn't online atm.
    And there's also the possibility that I'm completly wrong...

for a small moment i was thinking this was a call for a linching mob against me :\

well if the dude is that dishonest you should just have him killed i mean he was bribed 2 times already what stops someone else from bribing him a 3rd time ? (altough it isn´t historically inacurate considering how spartans and athenians kept switching sides everytime it suited them or even hannibal finishing his late life comanding the seulekid army )

for a small moment i was thinking this was a call for a linching mob against me :\

well if the dude is that dishonest you should just have him killed i mean he was bribed 2 times already what stops someone else from bribing him a 3rd time ? (altough it isn´t historically inacurate considering how spartans and athenians kept switching sides everytime it suited them or even hannibal finishing his late life comanding the seulekid army )

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post

Well, I pretty much decided the same thing. I thought I'd use him to besiege a couple of key provinces for Pontos and either gift them the cities (though without FD factions seem very reticent to accept such gifts...) or let 'them' (Amaseia) rebel back to Pontos - and am role-playing it as Roman interference by proxy, with the idea that Antipatros will eventually get killed by the Seleucids. I should point out I've hardly even entered Greece yet, and don't have any real presence in Asia at all.

And Rahl, your English was absolutely perfect - I understood exactly what you were saying.

(>^_^;)> move it! Member Hotseat_User's Avatar

only thing that will cause you serious problems is - if want him to have childs, they'll get other family-names attached by the game. so that kianos guy probably will just get an Aemilius son or smth.

biggest issue is, that you shouldn't decide to make him your faction-leader in advance. I remember some really weird things happend with Sarpedon Syriakos in one of my Pontos games - ughhh - as far as i remember, with turning fl the game skrewed up my old pontos-fm's-tree and instead i was presented with the wonderful tree of the seleucids from that second on. in fact it's playable but you can't really manage your fm's anymore.

ohh. and there should be an AAR from Megas-metuselah(sp?) roleplaying Massalia with Epirus and having a bribed Ptolemaio son. think he changed the newly-attached names for the ptolemaios-sons to ptolemaios in some of the files.

gahh. if you're only roleplaying some rampage in asia-minor and him or his childs won't get close to lead your romani-faction - everything should be fine
    Last edited by Hotseat_User; 04-15-2012 at 21:21. Reason: spelling...
    orationes tuas ego laudare soleo, imitari neque possim, si velim, nec velim fortasse, si possim. [M. T. C.]

bribed fms will have children with Roman names however their ethnicity will remain the same. Ive had this one game were i bribed a Pontic general and all of his children were of the Pontic royal line despite having Syriakes or Ionikes as surnames

Quote Originally Posted by seleucid empire View Post
    bribed fms will have children with Roman names however their ethnicity will remain the same. Ive had this one game were i bribed a Pontic general and all of his children were of the Pontic royal line despite having Syriakes or Ionikes as surnames
    That's easy enough to explain away. They are of Pontic descent, but have been Romanized.

Just discovered this! lol that situation is funny!