Thread: legendary imperial game

Default legendary imperial game

hi all, love the game,wasn't too keen on shogun 2 as am a big napoleon TW fan but now with added firepower i find that FOTS is a great game with mix of guns and steel and i have already spent way too many hours on it.

i like the battle realism mode and always use it now as find it far better although can be annoying with no map when chasing down the scurrying enemy and they get stuck somewhere in the forest that u cant see and have to wait for ages, which brings me to my first question. when you beat an enemy in battle and it gives u the opportunity to end battle, i tend to always continue so i can take as many down as possible so to avoid any annoying remainder loitering in my provinces and causing trouble, this can take a while though so is it worth it? or if you end a battle do you take a fair amount of those left on the map? anyone know?

i completed a aizu long campaign on very hard with battle realism on. am now tackling imperial on legendary but DAMN its hard. i find the hardest part the first twenty or thirty turns while you are trying to get two or three provinces and some decent income going. i made it through this period with stasuma and was doing well (so i thought) until about turn 90 when my neglected navy was beaten in one turn by hordes of other navies who destroyed all my ports and left me in an untenable position in which i could not build a navy because i had no money or ports and if i did manage to build a few ships they would be swiftly trounced by one of the enemies, had to quit that campaign to much annoyance.

i think i have found TOSA incredibly difficult to get going on due to lack of funds and CHOSA because everyone around you declares war and slowly grinds you into dust.

so anyone else got any thoughts on legendary imperial games and how and with who to gain a foothold(ideally with chosa or tosa), i have learnt that i need a good navy by turn 90 or so as i found with SATSUMA and also with SAGA, its so annoying when you have no seapower by the time the enemies have a big force
    thanks

P.S: on the total war forums someone was moaning about the game being too easy and then when on to say that he didn't like the idea of not having a map during battle or the fact that you cant save in legendary so i assume he didnt play legendary, surely those two things make it harder (especially the no saves bit!) so what's he moaning about!! some people

Default Re: legendary imperial game

If you return to the campaign map straight away the game destroys some of the defeated armies troops. Sometimes all of them. I find there is no need to manually hunt my enemy (unless I'm feeling bloodthirsty).

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I think all the routing units on the field are destroyed. The ones who were able to leave the map before you push end battle will escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

You can actually just quit the battle if you get bored after choosing to continue and still get the win, unlike (I seem to remember) certain previous versions. It'll just do the same destruction of routing enemy calculations it normally does from the point you quit.

I don't know if there's any information about how those calculations work. I thought it would make more sense for there to be fewer enemies escaping if you had more cavalry in your army, but I don't know how it's implemented at all.

Some run away and if there are enough, they reform into an army that you can/have to fight again but the second fight, if it happens in the same turn is an automatic auto resolve win that destroys all remaining enemies and usually means no losses for you.

jeez i just tried with jozei, effectively dead in the water by turn 21!! enemies were going through provinces that they were at war with just to get to me while 5 friendly clans wont trade with me unless i pay em but i cant beacuse another faction has come round and destroyed my ports and i cant afford to fix em because other clans keep sending armies!! has anyone had any luck/completed it on legendary with any factions? it seems ridiculous as im getting stuck into no win situations by turns in the early twenties, by that time i wouldnt have thought i would have had time to make that many mistakes. there are only so many ways u can go, things u can do

Returning to the OP - I am currently knees deep in a Legendary Chosu campaign - it is my 5th attempt and it is one of the most brutal STW experiences I've had to date. I've found that unlike the previous games you actually want to get to RD as quickly as possible - as this will stop fellow Imperial clans declaring war on you seemingly at random. It is usually Satsuma - who get penned in down the bottom of Kyushu then decide to land a stack on your shore. So if you can manage to survive long enough to reach RD - you are doing very well. By the time RD hits expect to be the Eastern most Imperial clan - so you will take an absolute beating as EVERY Shogunate clan (usually everything East of Kyoto) starts bombarding you with ships, stacks, and naval invaisions. A strong navy is absolutely critical to protect you income, and stop the AI from landing troops in your interior provinces. Develop the railway for quick reinforcements, and aim to use Bizen as a key recruitment center with their smith. In my campaign now I am pretty stable, and at the gates of Kyoto - I think I ought to be able to crack this one but there is a lot of fighting left. Once Kyoto is secure I will be recruiting myelf a warrior and setting sail for Tokyo bay ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Rhino View Post
    Returning to the OP - I am currently knees deep in a Legendary Chosu campaign - it is my 5th attempt and it is one of the most brutal STW experiences I've had to date. I've found that unlike the previous games you actually want to get to RD as quickly as possible - as this will stop fellow Imperial clans declaring war on you seemingly at random. It is usually Satsuma - who get penned in down the bottom of Kyushu then decide to land a stack on your shore. So if you can manage to survive long enough to reach RD - you are doing very well. By the time RD hits expect to be the Eastern most Imperial clan - so you will take an absolute beating as EVERY Shogunate clan (usually everything East of Kyoto) starts bombarding you with ships, stacks, and naval invaisions. A strong navy is absolutely critical to protect you income, and stop the AI from landing troops in your interior provinces. Develop the railway for quick reinforcements, and aim to use Bizen as a key recruitment center with their smith. In my campaign now I am pretty stable, and at the gates of Kyoto - I think I ought to be able to crack this one but there is a lot of fighting left. Once Kyoto is secure I will be recruiting myelf a warrior and setting sail for Tokyo bay ;)
    It does happen to me too, extremey frustrating. Enemies ignnores all other and only attacks you..