Thread: Republican campaign?

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Default Republican campaign?

Anyone conducted a successfull Republican campaign, turning their backs on the anachronisms of Shogun and Emperor?

I've been trying it as the Saga but feel i need to save-scum and get my navy a bit better prepared for when I become everyone's biggest enemy. I think the realm divide threshold is lower in FotS than vanilla S2 so my relative strength is lower and the challenge hence greater.

Any pointers?

Also, if anyone has done it, how long does one need to conquer the requisite number of provinces? I thinking about how long I can turtle for befoer needing to make the big push. Kyushu is a good base for a republican campaign (i think) as holding the whole island and its outlying 3 single province islands leaves you 1 province short of triggering the realm divide.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Republican campaign?

Backroom!

Obama is the Shogunate vanguard. Intend to defeat Obama in my Republican campaign.

It's not out of any love for it but all my imperial compatriots were idiots and got themselves wiped out. I guess that would make me a Neocon?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Yeah, Obama is giving me headache too. Seems only fit when going Republican. Harr harr. Harr... Erm..

I would suggest either a spy rush... Hang on, what spies you got once you go republican? Still ishin shishi? Anyway, the tip is to either incite revolts in their provinces when there is no army in the capitals, or try to bribe their big army stacks and then conquer their cities, demolish them (don't loot for the honor penalty) and move on, leaving the province to the rebellion that will probably break out the next move. The idea is to destroy their infrastructure completely so you can overwhelm them with better, high tech units. Other possibility would be to switch to the navy and wreak havoc along the shores.

There is a problem with the rebellion inciting when there are generals and armies to combat them, you might end up inadvertently training the enemy general.

OT Pardon my klatchian? Pure WIN.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

What's a republican campaign? Like domination?

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    I would suggest either a spy rush...
    You don't get any political agents when going republican - don't fully understand why but it adds further to the difficulty. You can build the political buildings (secret societies in this case) but no agents...

Other possibility would be to switch to the navy and wreak havoc along the shores.
    That's probably the way to go. I launched my realm divide without drydocks or even frigates, let alone a Warrior/Ocean.

OT Pardon my klatchian? Pure WIN.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    What's a republican campaign? Like domination?
    Nope, it's the choice you get when you get to realm divide -either support the shogun/emperor or break with the past and go a-historic with a republic of Japan. Presumably with your Daimyo as not-so-elected president or just a straight people's dictator.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by al Roumi View Post
    You don't get any political agents when going republican - don't fully understand why but it adds further to the difficulty. You can build the political buildings (secret societies in this case) but no agents...
    Bummer... No ninjas, either, I suppose... How about foreign agents and sabotage?

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Bummer... No ninjas, either, I suppose... How about foreign agents and sabotage?
    You only loose political agents.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Sardonic Antipodean Member Trithemius's Avatar

Shinobi are trained in Traditional Dojo, so as long as you have them it's all good. Just no rebellion-provoking propagandists. (Republics have their own propaganda building tree but no agents)
    Trithemius
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Ouch! The realm divide is a pain!

I didn't think I'd miss the propaganda agents as much - but they are really handy for making newly conquered provinces become economically productive quickly; and I had to stop taxing most of my lands while my new propaganda buildings slowly built up pro-Republic sympathies. I should really have budgeted more for the Secret Society buildings - I didn't realise I'd need so many!
    Trithemius

Quote Originally Posted by Trithemius View Post
    Ouch! The realm divide is a pain!

I didn't think I'd miss the propaganda agents as much - but they are really handy for making newly conquered provinces become economically productive quickly; and I had to stop taxing most of my lands while my new propaganda buildings slowly built up pro-Republic sympathies. I should really have budgeted more for the Secret Society buildings - I didn't realise I'd need so many!
    I've put mine on pause because it's so tedious and I'm sure I'll run out of time. Took too long to tech up and selected domination. It's still a worthy goal if none of your allies survive and you'll be at war with everyone anyway.

Down with dried flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    I've put mine on pause because it's so tedious and I'm sure I'll run out of time. Took too long to tech up and selected domination. It's still a worthy goal if none of your allies survive and you'll be at war with everyone anyway.
    Mine clanks on - I am pretty much defensive and am not sure how to break out of that. I think I should be able to push out soon, but I really really really mis-timed that realm divide, and spent too long fighting off waves and waves of alliegance-switching jerk neighbours! As the Nagaoka, even before divide, the Edo stabbed me; then just when I thought I could relax a bit, the Odawara stabbed me. I ended up huge! With all that land and some heroic battles I triggered divide far too fast! Next time I think I beeline for Musashi, Sagami, and Kazusa and work from there!

Is there any way to relocate your capital? Echigo ends up really far away from where I want to end up!
    Trithemius

I don't think there is a way to relocate your capital without loosing it. I believe it becomes your capital once you recapture it.

There was a thread or question about it in the S2 thread and the result was that you don't really have a choice.

Down with dried flowers!

Have people gone ultra-modern for their Republic games, or have they tried to keep some balance. I have been using yari kachi and line infantry (in a formation oddly reminiscent of the Gustavian brigade!) mostly so far. I have been thinking about adding some katana kachi too, or moving the yari kachi to my reserve/anti-cavalry line, but was wondering if MORE GUNS was a better idea. Anyone had much fun out of mixed formations?
    Trithemius

I've only ever tried fully modern, so I don't know for sure whether you can still recruit shinobi -but i guess you ought to be.

I'd not actually faced a high level traditional army until recently and it has left me suitably impressed with the charge/melee prowess of Katana Kachi. Without a defence in depth or an incline/hill to deploy on for overlapping fire zones, a modern army can be vulnerable. I did kill alot of them though and was facing 2 full stacks with only 1, deployed on a plain (in fog).

Quote Originally Posted by al Roumi View Post
    I've only ever tried fully modern, so I don't know for sure whether you can still recruit shinobi -but i guess you ought to be.

I'd not actually faced a high level traditional army until recently and it has left me suitably impressed with the charge/melee prowess of Katana Kachi. Without a defence in depth or an incline/hill to deploy on for overlapping fire zones, a modern army can be vulnerable. I did kill alot of them though and was facing 2 full stacks with only 1, deployed on a plain (in fog).
    I found even yari kachi to be pretty horrible in defensive sieges! I had one enemy katana kachi unit kill three hundred men in stand-up fights at a parapet!
    I'm going Nagaoka, so my rifles are reloading pretty fast - but I find some yari or katana can be good to take the edge off an enemy charge. It does require a bit of micro to avoid them being cut to shreds by "friendly" rifle-fire though!
    Trithemius

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trithemius View Post
    I found even yari kachi to be pretty horrible in defensive sieges! I had one enemy katana kachi unit kill three hundred men in stand-up fights at a parapet!
    I'm going Nagaoka, so my rifles are reloading pretty fast - but I find some yari or katana can be good to take the edge off an enemy charge. It does require a bit of micro to avoid them being cut to shreds by "friendly" rifle-fire though!
    The trick is to get the yari or katana kachi on the rear flank of the enemy so there by you reduce the friendly fire casualties, by micro managing your riflemen to bayonet charge after 2-3 volleys, after the yari or katana engage the enemy from the rear.
    I'm currntly playing as Milanese on H/H