Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Gun Shogun: A Self-Proclaimed Suicidal Campaign in Futility

Default Re: No Gun Shogun: A Self-Proclaimed Suicidal Campaign in Futility

Good news: I become Vanguard. Bad news. That didn't bring any sympathy.

On the west, land is still quiet but naval pressure is getting higher because they run away from my ships and blocking my ports in the next turn. It badly affects my income, but I will hold.

On the east, the thing I was dreading become reality: Turns out Edo was abandoned his own settlement to the enemy only to attack me. They easily took Shimosa. Moreover, an enemy stack landed on Kazusa, in order to assault next turn.

Then I got angry, and to get my only chance to become vanguard, risk all the rebellions and pushed to the west. I invaded Kai, Suruga and Totomi, forced light green to become my Vassal. and now I am officially become Vanguard.

But, so what? All Shogunate clans are still hostile. In legendary, they don't bargain before they lose all their armies. Plus there are 2 rebellions on my lands. I should be asking my vassals to attack my enemies though.

There is only one good news: The Edo marched on Kazusa, and captured it too. This sent back the landed army to his homeland I am delaying Edo with my Geisha to take my time building another army to hold him at bay.

The army of the dark green doesn't look so scary though. Only levies and spearmen. But I don't know what else is waiting as a surprise.

If I won't be able manage to hold the line, I will go frenzy and try to hold only a small portion of the map, and destroy all other clans by crushing their cities and left them to rebellion. We will see what happens.

On the sea, I am still losing ships. In 7-8 turn I will have armor piercing shells which will bring naval superiority and another window of opportunity until they catch up.

I am still fighting Shogunate more than Imperial. God, that's such a turmoil!
    Last edited by Yesugey; 01-28-2016 at 11:00.

Member thankful for this post:

Here is an extremely important knowledge that I found out while searching forums:

"Every province has a citadel and a military port with 1 gun boat in it. This is important because it prevents the AI from doing naval invasions. A port with cannons prevents the AI from doing land invasions, but without that 1 ship in port the AI will simply attack the port and disable it. With the ship inside they would have to go into battle, and the AI is reluctant to do so. Even if they do your port cannons can do a lot of damage and win the match. Just keep that lone gunboat alive and the AI will often stop in its tracks and you can just wait for time to run out."

That makes perfect sense! If anyone blocks the port, you can go to battle screen with your gunboat and let the land cannons do the job. Wish I knew that before!

Excellent news! Turns out I wasn't Vanguard yet. It was offered next turn. Now I am officially the Vanguard, everyone who supports Shogunate is rallied around me. I took all the trade agreements, destroyed Edo by taking what's left of his cities.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vanguard.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	17403

Only exception is: I didn't forgive the Shogunate clan took my beloved Fukushima yet. They offered me peace for almost every turn, but I turned them down, and cut down their 1700 men-strong army in a small castle. Here is the start conditions and replay of the battle.

Name:	BattleStatus.jpg 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	17402

RevengeForFukushima.zip

He has many +4 experienced Levy Infantry, but I have Armored Katana Kachi and everything. I lost 5 units in this battle, because I preferred to climb the walls instead of burning the castle. Huge mistake on my side.

Name:	SwarmingCastle.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	17404

Name:	BadResult.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	17405

There is only one army left between me and Aizu, in few turns I will get my capital back and accept their peace request.

To focus crushing the Imperials.

But the problem grows in the west: Satsuma has been chosen as Vanguard, and while he doesn't bothering me, he pushed through the mainland, and crushed 2 of my allies on the way by capturing 7 provinces. When I become Vanguard, Imperials were not much of a threat and the odds were highly on my side. But now I think the my chance of victory is 50-50. Maybe less.

Let's hope my blind ambition for Aizu won't cost me the game.

Since my armies are all far away from them, I am planning to train many ships and block all the docks of the Satsuma and the other Imperial rebels. This way they will leave my economy alone, and won't courageously send invasion fleets. Let's hope my allies hold before I get there.
    Last edited by Yesugey; 01-29-2016 at 16:14.

P.S. : For a short moment, I thought of choosing independence and play "No Gun: Republican"
    I wonder how would that be? It may be possible with Jozai or Satsuma?

I finally managed to beat Satsuma. No Gun Shogun on Legendary, with Aizu, is possible.

It was a lot of fun playing with swordsmen, thanks to AI can't handle with gunpowder warfare, I was able to get close and give the enemy a bloodbath. I like to share few memories:

Name:	2016-01-29_00009.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	318.8 KB 
ID:	17446
    I was trying to eliminate Edo, while Satsuma press his charge on mainland and crushing two of my allies with Yodo, the other Imperial Clan.

Name:	2016-01-30_00001.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	17445
    The revenge battle, to recapture my beloved Aizu. They literally begged me to become ally for 10 turns. I always rejected them. Even that might cost me the game.

Name:	2016-01-30_00002.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	17444
    Recapture of Aizu.

Name:	2016-01-30_00003.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	358.4 KB 
ID:	17443
    Situation after making peace with all other Shogunate clans, in order to focus on the invasion of Satsuma.

Name:	2016-01-30_00004.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	17442
    Well I don't think the Shogunate thinks the Slavery is barbaric, but since it's the choice against modernization, I chose it. Only negative thing I get for being against westerners is a -%25 trade penalty for 12 turns. Not a big deal.

Name:	2016-01-30_00005.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	17441
    To stop Satsuma advance, I cut the connection between Kyushu and the Mainland. That helped a lot. Also I blocked all his ports, sent all my Shinobi and Shimotsuke to create chaos in his hinterlands. At the end, Satsuma was a place in ruins.

Name:	2016-01-30_00006.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	289.4 KB 
ID:	17440
    My first foothold in Kyushu. Satsuma was still well guarded.

Name:	2016-01-30_00007.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	282.2 KB 
ID:	17439
    General situation between me and the others. I had 3 vassals, and they were suprisingly helpful, especially by invading small islands.

Name:	2016-01-30_00008.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	17438
    It was a great battle! Satsuma besieged my foothold with many Armored Line infantry and Parrott guns. My army was half Spear levies, and the enemy have large number advantage. (More than %50) I sallied and cut both armies with a devastating charge, which you can watch it from the replay.
    ShimazuLanding.rar

Name:	2016-01-30_00009.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	17437
    For an army and general this inexperienced, it is a great result.

Name:	2016-01-30_00010.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	17436
    The destruction of Yodo! They gave me a lot of worry, thank to the naval blockade they couldn't set foot to my small island. And they destroyed few stacks of Wakayama before being overrun. Now they are gone, and Satsuma is almost alone with his two island allies.

Name:	2016-01-30_00011.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	17435
    Another push from Satsuma, after that they lost this battle, they lost the upper hand and get defensive.
    CounterAttack.rar

Name:	2016-01-30_00012.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	17434
    The ninjas and my fully upgraded Shingensumi wreaking havoc behind enemy lines.

Here is a replay from a battle I played in order to help the advance of my allies. I was still worried about then getting annihilated by the experienced soldiers of Satsuma, (They took like 8 provinces in 10 turns) so I created a stack and sent to battle without a general. They did good job though.

Name:	2016-01-30_00013.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	17433
    Noticed the small island at the southwest? Sado got it. Sado is the small island at the northeast! When I landed to capture it, I saw that Sado was also came all the way to get the island for himself, but just couldn't find the guts to do battle, hanging around. After my landing, the Tanegashima attacked my army and defeated. And before I get control, Sado just marched into the capital and captured it! I didn't even get mad!
    Unfortunately Tsu lost the province captured, because the most experienced Satsuma stacks were positioned there. Putting your Shingensumi to new captured city gives you the chance to advance forward, catch the enemy unguarded. Here is the replay:
    IslandInvasion.rar

Name:	2016-01-30_00014.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	17432
    My nice half-stack consists of armored Katana, Shogitai and a Samurai Hero. Unfortunately the game was over before I use the Hero.

Name:	2016-01-30_00015.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	17431
    Seems like the fate of the war is almost certain. Even Jozai took a bite from Satsuma.

Name:	2016-01-31_00001.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	17428
    The last stand of Satsuma. They have around 1400 highly experienced Line infantry there, but me with my allies were marching with more than 5000 men in total. Here is the replay:
    SatsumaLastStand.rar

Name:	2016-01-31_00002.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	17429
    Some of those poor guys fighting for Satsuma have +8 experience.. But couldn't stop overwhelming numbers. They were the stacks I was afraid most. I don't know what would be the result if I wasn't landed to their back, and not assassinate their 5 star generals.

Name:	2016-01-31_00004.jpg 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	17430
    That's the total result screen. (By the way I didn't do any naval bombardment nor battlefield bombardment during the game. I only bombarded a military port, which was blocking me from landing my troops.
    Last edited by Yesugey; 01-31-2016 at 03:20.

Congratulations Yesugey!
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Congratulations Yesugey!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123