Thread: Introducing the Gameroom private forums

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Introducing the Gameroom private forums

That's right, a super-secret meeting place of your own on these very forums. Quicktopic just got owned.

If you're part of a faction that needs to do some behind-the-scenes strategizing, you can now do so in the Gameroom - and nobody else can see you! What you need to do is request access to one of the following private forums - 1, 2, 3, or 4, from the "Permission groups" page of your UserCP. Basically just follow this handy screenshot:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Or follow this direct link. PM a Gameroom moderator as well, for faster access (otherwise we don't see the requests!).

Once you are granted your own private forum, further levels of intrigue follow such as being able to post anonymously and being able to password-protect your threads so nobody else can see that... but you must be granted basic access first.

Let the fun begin.

"I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Default Re: Introducing the Gameroom private forums

Quick question: Why is this better then Quicktopic?

I mean, its on the Org, yeah, but what makes it better?

Fewer open tabs, and forum formatting.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Open tabs isn't really a problem. And I suppose forum formatting is a plus is some ways. But is that it?

(Not ungrateful, just curious)

Also, thanks to the people who did this.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Open tabs isn't really a problem. And I suppose forum formatting is a plus is some ways. But is that it?

(Not ungrateful, just curious)

Also, thanks to the people who did this.
    No additional logins or passwords, no need to remember links or go to a different site, when the games are done the threads remain on the Org so that they can be more easily viewed in conjunction with post-game analysis. You can also use all of the forum bells and whistles with the system, which means you can subscribe to threads, browse it on mobile devices with our mobile skins, etc.

Here's the full instruction sheet for the system, which shows off more of the basic features than the OP did:

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    The goal of these forums, as set up by the Tech Admins, is to provide an on-site private area for various factions in a game to discuss their affairs (in essence, we want to replace Quicktopic). These forums have several tweaks enabled to them that will be of use in providing for greater secrecy.

First of all, any post you make in here has the option of being done so anonymously. To do this, just click the check box before you make a post, like so:

If you're using Quick Reply, the button is found here:

Then your post will be made by this guy:

However, there are a few caveats when posting as Anonymous:
    • First, you are not logged in as Anonymous. Therefore, all of the usual warnings about using invisibility mode on your normal account if you don't want to be tracked apply.
    • Second, the system does not differentiate who makes which Anonymous posts. Therefore, if you want to want to give yourself a codename, make sure you identify yourself as something in every individual post you make as Anonymous.
    • Third, you cannot post an attachment as Anonymous. If you want to put an image in an Anonymous post, upload it somewhere on the internet and use the IMG tag. If you try to use an attachment, it won't show up.

Secondly, you also have the ability to create a password for a thread which prevents anyone who does not have the password from viewing it. If you would like this ability for a thread, PM a member of Gameroom staff and they will make you a Thread Master. Thread Masters can then change the password of a thread, like so:

You now have the ability to set passwords.

There are a few caveats about password-protected threads though:
    • First, staff cannot make someone a Thread Master before the thread in question exists. In other words, you have to create the thread first.
    • Second, part of the first post will always be visible through mouseover text from the forum index. Factoring into account these two issues, we advise you not to put any sensitive information in the first post of a thread.
    • Third, attachments within the thread are not protected. If someone somehow gets the exact URL of the attachment, they will be able to view it even though it is inside a password protected thread.

If for any reason you want someone else able to view a private forum (say, you just recruited him), contact one of the Gameroom mods or one of the Tech or Forum Administrators (preferably someone who is not playing the game!) and they will grant this new player access.

We hope you enjoy yourselves in these new private forums... discreetly.

All normal forum rules still apply in the private forums. If you have any questions, contact Gameroom staff.
    Last edited by TinCow; 05-11-2012 at 13:18.

Nice. I'll use it in my game then, if I can get it to work.

Is it possible to use a different name, like if you want to, use the characters name when posting in the link, so that you know who is posting, but just in case an outsider sees it they don't know who is who?

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    Is it possible to use a different name, like if you want to, use the characters name when posting in the link, so that you know who is posting, but just in case an outsider sees it they don't know who is who?
    No, unfortunately. That is one advantage quicktopic still has over our new toy. You can post as yourself, or as Anonymous.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    The best way to do this is to simply give yourself a new name when you post as Anonymous. Just put something like Posted By: Frankie Hot Fingers at the top of all your Anonymous posts. Sure, someone can try to impersonate you by doing the same, but you'll know it and be able to call them out. Plus, I don't think that would be very likely to occur in an already-private forum in the first place.

In some games you need to give out the QT to others or it might accidentally get leaked, so doing that does offer some protection. It just seems to me, not to be worth it when playing a gme, but i will reserve my opinion when I try it out.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Ok, we started a game with this feature, one question:

In my profile and other players', it's shown that given account has access to a private forum, isn't that a give away for the mafia?

I simply noticed this by accident checking the visitor messages, but nevertheless it's out there...
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-25-2012 at 21:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Ok, we started a game with this feature, one question:

In my profile and other players', it's shown that given account has access to a private forum, isn't that a give away for the mafia?

I simply noticed this by accident checking the visitor messages, but nevertheless it's out there...
    Hmm... I actually don't see you belonging to any groups right now, Arjos (besides the two public ones you are in). I'm not totally sure on this, but I think perhaps you can only see other members if you are in the group yourself? I have been removed from two of the private forums, so that would explain it.

At the same time, though, I can't see the other two groups from my own profile, but I can see the Backroom.

I'm going to check up on this with the TA's and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    Hmm... I actually don't see you belonging to any groups right now, Arjos (besides the two public ones you are in). I'm not totally sure on this, but I think perhaps you can only see other members if you are in the group yourself? I have been removed from two of the private forums, so that would explain it.

At the same time, though, I can't see the other two groups from my own profile, but I can see the Backroom.

I'm going to check up on this with the TA's and get back to you.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053460677

Ok, I completely removed that info box from the profile section. Doing this allows me to restore the ability for Gameroom Moderators to give access to those fora, while still keeping membership in those groups hidden. If you notice any information about membership in those groups being displayed anywhere else, please let me know immediately.

Member thankful for this post:

Looks like I was late to the punch...