Thread: The Day Z mod for ARMA II

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Day Z mod for ARMA II

EDIT: Useful Info - install guide; http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2085
    Map of the game region - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33893957/Day...ayzhelper.html
    http://www.dayzmod.com/
    It's a persistent mod set in the zombie apocalypse where you fight zombies and other humans to survive, in a giant ARMA II map. You plop into the multiplayer world with a pistol and some food. There are people out there; some might try to help, others might kill you just to steal your meager supplies. If you die you lose everything you've gained. If you log out then log back in, you return to the same spot with the same gear you had.

And apparently it's awesome:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...ayz-part-zero/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...ay-z-part-two/

More videos:http://kotaku.com/5909970/the-terror...raze/gallery/3

ARMA II: CO sales are increasing 500%;
    http://kotaku.com/5910279/pc-zombie-...-happy-to-help

CR
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 05-19-2012 at 07:15.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: The Day Z mod for ARMA II

This has got to be the most incredible example of a mod reviving interest in a game i've seen in years. Due to the nature of Day Z (something in how the modder has altered files or the game's set up) you can't pirate the game solely to get the mod. If you want to enjoy it, you gotta buy the game, and people are voting with their wallets! Arma II has been in the top 10 for steam sales for weeks now. It even hit the top spot last night as the number 1 sold game on steam which it is still protecting proudly.

The Day Z recaps i've seen around the internet have been absolutely amazing. Whether it's the RPS posts Rabbit posted or it's just personal stories from players. I'm waiting to dive into this mod. It's still only in alpha state and while it sounds incredibly fun, I want to observe and wait until more features are added. But everything I have heard and seen from friends who are in it has me hyped and anxiously wanting to play.
    Last edited by Monk; 05-17-2012 at 01:31.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Holy ****, that sounds awesome. Looks like I will be buying Arma II soonish.
    Last edited by Lemur; 05-17-2012 at 17:18. Reason: Damn you, autocorrect.

I should still have Arma II somewhere, does it require Combined Operations or is the core game enough to play the mod?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

From Reddit:
    "Dear Developers: this is why you should make your games moddable."
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Very cool. I very much like the open world survival genre, I may have to pick this up eventually. I've been looking forward to Dead State for a long time, which has a similar concept by in an isometric RPG format. I'd never considered it from an action FPS standpoint, though it makes perfect sense. I'd love to see this turned into a stand-alone game of its own.

We should get an Org clan up on a server.

Blog Entries

You can get ARMA2:CO for $15 digital download at amazon (at least in the US).

Husar - you do need CO.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Okay, I broke down and purchased Arma II and CO as a pack. I even spent the extra ten bucks to have it on Steam. I have no self-control.

Any orgahs stateside want to meet up, maybe tonight, and see how fast we die?

Blog Entries

I got it yesterday. Once I get off work I need to install it then connect it to steam and then install the day Z Mod - which apparently is more complex than most mod installs.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Last time I tried ARMA 2 I hated it because I couldnt pass the basic training part: couldnt pass the firing range. Got frustrated, uninstalled the demo.
    Im going to try it again, to see how it plays.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Ja Mata, Tosa.

Ugh. Downloaded the demo, it was unplayable. Kept freezing up on me even though I can run it at highest specs, and looking online didnt help.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yah, installation is a bit of a bear, and getting started is rocky, but I have faith it will be worth it ...

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

This mod might be the reason I buy ARMA II when I have a better pc. Of course, by that time, nobody will be playing anymore.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Blog Entries

Well I've got it installed and running. Scavenging good guns is hard; I need to start using my mic and headphones and find some folks. I saw two people in my last life. The first I avoided. The second was a well armed bandit who saw me crouching the grass watching him approach. He went prone and aimed at me. I decided my only hope with my wimpy pistol was to get up and run to the side to show I wasn't a threat. He didn't kill me. Then a zombie killed me because I somehow selected a tin can to throw while in the inventory screen and until I was out of tin cups or went back into the inventory screen I couldn't use my pistol. Such is ARMA II.

I probably won't be on much more today, though. I'm headed to a park then a dinner tonight.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Voice appears to be somewhat borked anyway; it is an Arma II thing. Servers ate dying today. Almost impossible to get on.

Blog Entries

Gah, I am reminded of why I hate ARMA 2, even though I get a solid 60 fps; movement is just so clunky. When you press a key it seems you instantly lurch in that direction at full speed. It's just not smooth.

Ah well. The mod rises above. If only I had the ability to jump. Not the best thing to find out while attempting to jump between roofs.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

been playing for a while. Still have the .38 it used to start people with. Havent been on in a couple weeks but when I last logged I had food and drink in my coyote backpack and around 6 mags for my dmr and 4 for the akm in my bag. Might log in one day soon just to see how things are.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

A very strange report: I've been watching quite a few videos of gameplay over the past week, and it seems they're leaving me physically exhausted.

After an hour of Day Z spectatorship, I feel like I've done half a day of yard work. My upper back even aches. The fatigue is beginning to interfere with...

Has anyone noticed anything of the sort?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Most marked effects with videos featuring non-English commentary and 'un-American' English commentary.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

I've only managed a small amount of play, due to real life and server problems, but so far I am underwhelmed. Arma II is clunky, man, clunky. The PVP seems to be pretty much constant. And I never liked fast zombies.

Reading through the Day Z boards, I see the most common response to the PVP thing is "this is realistic," to which I say:

1. Realism should always serve gameplay, not the other way around
    2. and in a real total meltdown scenario, teamwork would be king. Lone wolves have shorter life expectany in genuine disasters.

But as it stands, the game inordinately rewards random murder and looting. I guess if that's the sort of thing you're into ...

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Been playing this a lot. Here's me and the crew killing a cow for the greater glory:

Attachment 5717

Attachment 5716

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I've only managed a small amount of play, due to real life and server problems, but so far I am underwhelmed. Arma II is clunky, man, clunky. The PVP seems to be pretty much constant. And I never liked fast zombies.

Reading through the Day Z boards, I see the most common response to the PVP thing is "this is realistic," to which I say:

1. Realism should always serve gameplay, not the other way around
    2. and in a real total meltdown scenario, teamwork would be king. Lone wolves have shorter life expectany in genuine disasters.

But as it stands, the game inordinately rewards random murder and looting. I guess if that's the sort of thing you're into ...
    Too a degree. Pack hunting is much safer and rewarding. Note how we all have automatic weapons above? We were able to hit the dangerous areas (airfields, military camps, etc) with more zombies and hostile players as a result of team-play. The problem is trust, no one trusts anyone, and I believe that is pretty accurate.

Hit-up Texas Server 7 (TX7) next time you play.
    Last edited by naut; 06-02-2012 at 17:33.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

If i had to sum my experiences with the mod in one word it would be simply: amazing.

Arma II is as rough around the edges as you can get when it comes to a gameplay experience, and the alpha nature of the mod doesnt do itself any favors either. But once you get passed how utterly annoying and back-ass the inventory system is (and it really IS, good god.) Day Z offers an amazing RPG experience. It's the kind of thing that's hard to explain other than talking about what you did IN the game itself.. so.. i guess thats what i'll do.

Decide to lone wolf it up because that's how i roll baby.

Hour 1: spent hopelessly starting over trying to figure out how to PLAY the game.

Hour 1.5: hit my stride, scavenge through a huge city. See player characters running about but none seem to be taking shots at me so its all good. Found an M1911, not bad!

hour 1.6: dodging sniper fire in between looting buildings, took a bullet to the leg but patch it up and continue to go. Lost some blood but nothing serious.

Hour 2: Running north, found a compass but I have no idea where i'm going as I haven't found a map. Figure that inland will be a bit less crowded!

Hour 2.2: Realize that two guys had been following me since i left the city. Turn around just in time as they were closing in, impromptu shootout is interrupted by Zeds swarming my would be attackers. Serves them right.

Hour 2.6: Scavenged an old Orthodox church, jackpot. Sniper rifle and 5 (!!) mags for this baby. That's what I'm talking about. Spied a huge spire in the distance, head to check it out.

Hour 2.8: Arrived at the Spire which turned out to be an old abandoned radio tower. Lots of bodies but no sign of any good loot. Friendly survivor shows up looking for blood (health) packs, i dont have any for him, but I remember passing some animals so I make him a deal - i'll do some hunting if he gathers firewood.

Hour 3: Arrive back at camp at the same time as my buddy does, suddenly a new survivor shows up on the scene. "Friendly or Die" I call out. No response for a good 20 seconds. My friend takes him out without a second thought. Cold blooded.

Hour 3.1: Cook up the freshly gathered meat and allow my buddy to get back some much needed health. Spend some time around the campfire talking about what we want to do next and decide to log to get some sleep. As a parting gift, give him the rest of my cooked food.

Day Z: The best RPG experience i've had in a LONG time. I need to find a regular server to play on because this was just too much fun.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-03-2012 at 12:35.

The Norwegian political drama Okkupert ("Occupied"), in Season 2 running now, has some pretty amusing scenes in which government officials conduct conspiracies and counter-conspiracies on Day-Z servers.

At least, it sure looks like Day Z.

It's so gratuitous, it makes you wonder whether the Day-Z publishers got a sponsorship deal.
    Vitiate Man.

The backpack the dude is wearing at the bottom reminds me of the Arma 3 model for it but Im probably wrong. Especially because the guy who hes shooting at looks like a zombie to me.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

To me that looks like ArmA 2, possibly one, I kinda skipped those.

Went from this to ArmA 3.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Its definitely either 2 or 3. I played both and depending on the map 3 can look like 2 so I have no clue.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Simple confirmation: yes, it's DayZ.

Still early access alpha? lol

It's been 5 years.
    Vitiate Man.