Thread: What's the consensus on TW Shogun 2?

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

Default What's the consensus on TW Shogun 2?

Hi all,
    I've been away A LONG TIME, but just caught some vids of Shogun 2 and it looked like the game-play has gotten back to the control an play-ability of the old Total War. Is that the case? How are the multiplayer battles? I couldn't stand the speed and complete lack of control that was happened in Rome and wondered after all these years has it gotten better.

Recommendations to start playing again?
    Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: What's the consensus on TW Shogun 2?

Hello Mitch

Don't want you to feel completely alone in here although I have no personal experience with MP. I have seen some of the old players like it and others who hate it. IMO it is still too fast and MP has AFAIK all kinds of abilities and whatnot.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Hiya Mitch!

Very good to hear from you

There have been so many changes in Total War over the years, the only remnant of what we knew before, would be what is now known as “Classic”. Classic Battles multiplayer is what was standard up until Shogun 2’s Avatar system, which raises the startup learning curve by scientific notation multiples. There are very few Classic players, the option is mostly only used for community competitions, but it is still there, and can furnish AI opponents for practice.

Would I recommend you start playing again?

Total War games are the best on the planet, but if you are looking recapture the original Shogun, you won’t find it now. On the opposite side of that is that if you did not like what happened to the game when Rome came out, the next Rome may be to your liking. In my humble opinion, the nature of Total War gaming being what it is now, it is best to get on board when a game is first released, and suffer through the start-up phases. There is just too much to learn to get to a place of enjoyment for most folks.

If you wanted to buy Shogun 2 now to start to get familiar with what Total War is today, that would be beneficial. But it will be the next game release that should be your real intention. Get ramped up with S2, but start with the pack in earnest with the next one.

In either case you will need a top of the line computer to play properly, so be ready for that (now at about ¼ the cost of what they use to be).

Even though things have changed considerably, there is still a lot of fun to be had!

Good Luck and Have Fun in whatever you choose
    Last edited by Tomisama; 06-24-2012 at 15:23.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Hi guys-- thanks for the notes. Yeah besides gameplay the other reason I dropped out was that my comp couldn't handle the game. Bought TW empires? I think it was. Wasn't fond of having a steam account and then my comp just couldn't hack the requirements.

That Dell subsequently died so I have only my "graphic design" computer -- MacBook pro -- running. And would likely have to buy a new PC to get going again. A 2.5 year old and infant twins also curtail my time a bit :-)
    Last edited by shingenmitch2; 06-25-2012 at 17:30.

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

CBR -- It's my usual rant, but I don't get why they can dial in a feature that allows for both game-speed adjustment and kill-rate/lethality adjustment. What do i know? but it would seem like a simple add ons and would solve so many old school complaints/issues.

I know that starting with Rome they sped things up because they wanted players to race through battles and make the "world" map the more important part of the game ala Civ -- which ironically was the direct opposite of the original game intent -- where the battles were "the game" and the world was just there to give some purpose/meaning to those battles.
    Last edited by shingenmitch2; 06-25-2012 at 17:34.

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Blog Entries

Well, STW was the fastest, MI was already slower and Rome was even slower than MI.

This said, everyone has his personal feelings and likings, for me the speed is fine. Id rather would like to see a little bit more speed.

Back to the question. I played it a few months and after all, its not bad. CA addressed many bugs and problems with the first big patch, which made the game okay.
    The real Problem, at least imo, are all those extra abilities, different clans, different talent trees...

In the end its more about what lvl your units are and which upgrade you got (you have to take the right things, there is no choice), than its about timing and how good you are with that.
    Its a lot less about movement, tactical momentum and real skill.

In the old days it was a lot about how you move your army and a good timing, today its a lot of frontal clashing, like we had already in btw and all the other TW versions.
    In STW you had to flank and rear to really win something, thats not so important anymore. I don't say, it has no effect, it has some.... but its a minor effect.

All in all, the game is okay, but there are too many things and effects around, which has nothing to do with how you move and command your army.
    TW is a niche game, while back in 2000 we had not many choices, today we have a lot.

In SP the game is pretty good, while in MP the game is no good. There are tons of other much better games out with a lot more tactical gameplay than TW.
    its a pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    In SP the game is pretty good, while in MP the game is no good.
    Are you playing Classic Battles?

Total War multiplayer has always been Classic since day one, are you playing any Classic Battles?

Come back to the fun!

Join the revolution turning the tide back to “real multiplayer”.

Classic Battle Players Association (started today)
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/

(Shogun) Classic Map Competition (in progress)
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/mapcomp

State of the August map as of today (updated daily).
    http://clanwars3540.yuku.com/topic/1...-Updated-Daily

If you do not do anything to try to save Classic Battles, we will lose them forever (almost already happened).

Last edited by Tomisama; 08-05-2012 at 19:26.

MITCH!!!!!

God i thought u were gone for good, GREAT to see you god we had some amazing fun battles in our time! missed u loads!

STW2 is a great game you will love it in mp, its got an expansion now i have not tried but if u want to come back ill definitely give it a go with u and we can steamroller teams like the days of old or get steamrollered also :p

Hope your still around mitch, thread seems abit old i dident even know i won a HOF award been away so long

Send me a PM quick gogo :)

Mitch did u know u can now play a fully functional multiplayer campaign? 1v1 that is or coop.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 08-16-2012 at 19:20.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    Well, STW was the fastest, MI was already slower and Rome was even slower than MI.

This said, everyone has his personal feelings and likings, for me the speed is fine. Id rather would like to see a little bit more speed.

Back to the question. I played it a few months and after all, its not bad. CA addressed many bugs and problems with the first big patch, which made the game okay.
    The real Problem, at least imo, are all those extra abilities, different clans, different talent trees...

In the end its more about what lvl your units are and which upgrade you got (you have to take the right things, there is no choice), than its about timing and how good you are with that.
    Its a lot less about movement, tactical momentum and real skill.

In the old days it was a lot about how you move your army and a good timing, today its a lot of frontal clashing, like we had already in btw and all the other TW versions.
    In STW you had to flank and rear to really win something, thats not so important anymore. I don't say, it has no effect, it has some.... but its a minor effect.

All in all, the game is okay, but there are too many things and effects around, which has nothing to do with how you move and command your army.
    TW is a niche game, while back in 2000 we had not many choices, today we have a lot.

In SP the game is pretty good, while in MP the game is no good. There are tons of other much better games out with a lot more tactical gameplay than TW.
    its a pity.

Kocy most of those concerns are old hat and have been addressed :) like flank hits etc now more powerful.

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Things that are better mitch:

Speed of units is fine
    Controls are fine and allow for grouping of single units or small soft groups as well as mass groups.
    Debug Camera still in so can unlimited zoom out.
    Its far far beyond rome totalwar in everyway mp, think a kind of mtw1 type game.. back on track.
    Multiplayer campaigns, coop campaigns. Great
    Map editor Great
    Ladders: 2v2 and up really for those. Abit dissapointing but matchmaker good for quick battles or team battles.
    Clan campaign: Awful

Overall a really solid totalwar similar to the titles of old, stw1 mtw1 with alot of whacky stuff thrown in for example your general has abilities he can pick like last man standing (always last to die in the unit) quick march for faster movement etc.
    Also you have a veteran army that increases in ability as you level each unit in multiplayer or you can just have standard units (can colour and rename the veteran units and choose your mon etc)

Buddha

Please forgive the liberty taken in taking this thread a bit off topic for this next post. The opportunity was just to ripe and timely to refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    Clan campaign: Awful
    If you are talking about the multiplayer Clan Competition map game, I have taken on the quest to build a better one as a personal challenge. My success with map games so far is fair to dismal, but what I am talking about now is far and beyond anything I have, or CA has presented to date.

For starters it incorporates all of the 37 battlefields, 8 seas, and 14 castles, of the pre-Fall of the Samurai game. These are all configured in such a way as to provide 8 battlefields as dedicated sea ports, with all sea ports and castles separated from all other sea ports or castles by at least one other land or sea battle map. The object of the game is to own at least seven castles or the direct access to them (a key point), with one of those possessions being Koyoto, for a period two weeks straight.

Earning ownership, challenging ownership, and the strategy in doing so correctly, are combined with battlefield tactical skills and persistence of character, to make this Clan Competition map game worthy of the name “Ultimate”! Or at least that is the plan.

The only real draw back so far is that only one battle win will be allowed per week per Clan, and all challenges must be fought in the week following the voiced challenge, or lost by default. There is also the requirement that all battle replays and property challenges must be emailed to be properly registered. One more thing; the right to challenge comes with the ownership of an adjacent property, and the loss of a challenge battle will cost you that adjacent property.

There will be a limited administrated message board to make match arrangements, and the map itself visible at all times, updated daily, with a first come first serve ownership or challenge basis.

Currently considering that this will be a 3v3 Avatar Clan Contest competition.

Swoosh, if you or any others who are knowledgeable about the failings of the current Clan Competition map game (if I am understanding you correctly), are interested in reviewing the rules and map for this proposed new Clan Contest map game, please let me know (pm). I am looking for experienced folks, passionate about the game and the community to advise me in the creation of this little (hopefully) masterpiece ;)

Its pretty good now! :) i just dont play much,but still fun ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama View Post
    Please forgive the liberty taken in taking this thread a bit off topic for this next post. The opportunity was just to ripe and timely to refuse.

If you are talking about the multiplayer Clan Competition map game, I have taken on the quest to build a better one as a personal challenge. My success with map games so far is fair to dismal, but what I am talking about now is far and beyond anything I have, or CA has presented to date.

For starters it incorporates all of the 37 battlefields, 8 seas, and 14 castles, of the pre-Fall of the Samurai game. These are all configured in such a way as to provide 8 battlefields as dedicated sea ports, with all sea ports and castles separated from all other sea ports or castles by at least one other land or sea battle map. The object of the game is to own at least seven castles or the direct access to them (a key point), with one of those possessions being Koyoto, for a period two weeks straight.

Earning ownership, challenging ownership, and the strategy in doing so correctly, are combined with battlefield tactical skills and persistence of character, to make this Clan Competition map game worthy of the name “Ultimate”! Or at least that is the plan.

The only real draw back so far is that only one battle win will be allowed per week per Clan, and all challenges must be fought in the week following the voiced challenge, or lost by default. There is also the requirement that all battle replays and property challenges must be emailed to be properly registered. One more thing; the right to challenge comes with the ownership of an adjacent property, and the loss of a challenge battle will cost you that adjacent property.

There will be a limited administrated message board to make match arrangements, and the map itself visible at all times, updated daily, with a first come first serve ownership or challenge basis.

Currently considering that this will be a 3v3 Avatar Clan Contest competition.

Swoosh, if you or any others who are knowledgeable about the failings of the current Clan Competition map game (if I am understanding you correctly), are interested in reviewing the rules and map for this proposed new Clan Contest map game, please let me know (pm). I am looking for experienced folks, passionate about the game and the community to advise me in the creation of this little (hopefully) masterpiece ;)
    Sorry Tomi i don't visit my beloved org that much these days and did not see your reply, Its best i don't get involved in such a thing as recently the TWC site asked me to spearhead a vs multiplayer push on the site which i agreed to then quickly backed out of as i don't have the energy for such things ATM. You should maybe speak with magyarkhan who was heavily involved in the creation of the old clan campaigns and always up for a chat on such things. My totalwar energies ill reserve for u know what ;)

Buddha

Hi Mitch and Fast long time.

Late reply I know I've just come back after 5 months off TW, I like its MP game tbh best one since MTW imo. Well worth a try.

Game speeds fine its similar to MTW but slower then Shogun.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li