Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fix for resolution problems.

Talking Fix for resolution problems.

Hello everyone, this is my first post to 'The Org' but I have been browsing the forums for many years. I have written what should be a fix for the 800x600/640x480 resolution cap on higher end cards. This should mean an end to the rebooting shenanigans that were previously required. I do not yet have the ability to attach links to posts, but I can provide the fix on request and I will amend this post when I have the privileges required for attachments/links.

Update:

The download can be found here: Removed link as the file has become available in the forum download section.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions you may have.

-----------------------edit by drone---------------------------------
    Uploaded locally to the Org, link here
    Last edited by Sepheus; 07-27-2012 at 00:31. Reason: Site link removed

Members thankful for this post (7):

+ Show/Hide List

Default Re: Fix for resolution problems.

This is the most exciting thread title I've seen on the Org, including TW:RII. It works beautifully. Thank you Thank You THANK YOU!!!

Now I've got to change my signature......
    Currently day dreaming about having the funding and man power to port MTW to mobiles. Whole and unaltered.
    Having a nightmare getting it to run on more than 2GB of RAM

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

My MTW setup never had the problem, glad to see it worked for you. I wonder if this fix works with Shogun, I think I'll post this in the Sword Dojo as well...

I'll be uploading the fix to the Org download section soon. I would like to rename the file to something a little more descriptive if that's ok with you, Sepheus?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

This is the most exciting thread title I've seen on the Org, including TW:RII. It works beautifully. Thank you Thank You THANK YOU!!!

Now I've got to change my signature......
    I am glad you have found it of some use! Please let me know if there are any issues. It is my first time doing anything like this, hopefully I have not overlooked anything.

My MTW setup never had the problem, glad to see it worked for you. I wonder if this fix works with Shogun, I think I'll post this in the Sword Dojo as well...

I'll be uploading the fix to the Org download section soon. I would like to rename the file to something a little more descriptive if that's ok with you, Sepheus?
    It should work with Shogun, I have not tested that, but I do believe Medieval Total War and Shogun Total War used the same engine. If not - I could certainly make it work. You may rename the zip file, the DLL needs to remain named ddraw.dll. Once the fix is in the download section is it possible to update the file, should I release any more fixes (such as a windowed mode or a fix for Intel/GeForce 8000/9000 cards)? If I have the time I would like to make fixes for more issues and hopefully add a configuration file for the DLL.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepheus View Post
    It should work with Shogun, I have not tested that, but I do believe Medieval Total War and Shogun Total War used the same engine. If not - I could certainly make it work. You may rename the zip file, the DLL needs to remain named ddraw.dll. Once the fix is in the download section is it possible to update the file, should I release any more fixes (such as a windowed mode or a fix for Intel/GeForce 8000/9000 cards)? If I have the time I would like to make fixes for more issues and hopefully add a configuration file for the DLL.
    I'll have to ask the admins about replacing/updating files in the downloads. If the board software doesn't allow it, I could just apply a version number to each update's filename. For this fix, I was thinking of calling it something like: "Sepheus_ddraw_fix_v1.zip".
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I'll have to ask the admins about replacing/updating files in the downloads. If the board software doesn't allow it, I could just apply a version number to each update's filename. For this fix, I was thinking of calling it something like: "Sepheus_ddraw_fix_v1.zip".
    Very well, that is fine with me! Hopefully people with the issue will be able to find it easily enough.

File uploaded to the Org, local link added to the OP.

Thumbs up Re: Fix for resolution problems.

@ Sepheus - A big thank you for your brilliant fix. I've had the Vista OS now for almost 4 years and my computer couldn't run MTW until this ultimate fix. So many people were trying to get this game to work with high end computers and then you come along with this? I pretty much gave up trying to get MTW to run with my Quad core i7, Vista 64-bit OS, and ATI Radeon HD 4850 Video card, but tonight I had the game running flawlessly for about 2 hours. I only shut it down so I could post a thank you to you, LOL. Amazing!!!

Once the fix is in the download section is it possible to update the file, should I release any more fixes (such as a windowed mode or a fix for Intel/GeForce 8000/9000 cards)? If I have the time I would like to make fixes for more issues and hopefully add a configuration file for the DLL.
    If you could make a fix for GF 8XXX/9XXX cards it'd help a lot of people (like me ). Those cards are a little outdated but if you mostly play old school games like MTW they are still enough.
    I haven't had any problems with resolutions but anyway thanks for the fix. It may be very much needed when I'll buy a new PC.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Sepheus:

That site is showing as malicious to my antivirus software. If I PM you my e-mail address, would you attach that file to a message?
    Last edited by Geezer57; 07-26-2012 at 22:54.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer57 View Post
    Sepheus:

That site is showing as malicious to my antivirus software. If I PM you my e-mail address, would you attach that file to a message?
    Same; the .org link worked for me though.

Thank you Sepheus; works as advertised and has cut my crashes going to the Main menu from game :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Hello everyone, I am glad that the fix has been of some use to you! Geezer57, I have removed the original link and recommend that you use the link that drone inserted into my post. If anyone is interested in the source code, please feel free to message me privately and I will see what I can do.

It is possible to fix that? Really? It'd be... like another resurrection of Jesus...
    Sorry for my bad English.

No sticky or addition to useful links?
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    No sticky or addition to useful links?
    I've been debating where to put it. I've added it to the wiki technical FAQ and popped it to the Org front page, but I've been pondering how to organize the stickies. There is some duplication already, I probably need a fresh thread with links to the relevant discussions (which get then unstuck).

Hello Sepheus,
    I have had some problems with this fix. In combination (everything works fine individually) with the Redux mod's MapTex.tga and MapTex2.tga I get an error and crash to In-Game menu.
    So my question is, is this fix dependent on Vanilla MTW's campaign map files? And if so, could it be fixed to work with modded campaign map textures as well?

-Nagnar

Edit: Link to some discussion about this problem: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...5-Redux-amp-W7
    Last edited by Nagnar; 10-19-2012 at 01:10.

Hopefully Sepheus still lurks and will chime in.

For grins, could you try the old workaround for the resolution problems specified here? I believe Sepheus set the max memory to 2048 Mb in his ddraw wrapper. So without the ddraw.dll, try both the larger setting (2560 Mb) and smaller (2048 Mb) with Redux to see if both work. Maybe Redux needs more than 2Gb?

Welcome to the Org, Nagnar!

oo my god. forum is alive.
    i look almost every day to forum but it used to die...
    no new thread no new message.
    ı play MT XL 2 or 3 times in a weak. ı ca't give up it.
    one day my thesis other day MT XL.
    so hi to every one.

Quote Originally Posted by ferdi View Post
    so hi to every one.

I check every day, but most of the Main Hall denizens/lurkers are old timers so there's not much new to discuss. New discussion is always welcome, and will usually drag a couple of us out of the woodwork.
    The game is 10 years old now, should have posted a Happy Birthday shout in August, my bad.

Member thankful for this post:

ferdi 

Thanks for the welcome drone :)
    2560 doesn't work with with Redux or vanilla for me but 2048 does, I suppose It's workable despite being a huge pain what with the restarting.
    I did actually know about that other fix but didn't want to use it because of the annoyance but oh well, it works I guess...

-Nagnar

Quote Originally Posted by ferdi View Post
    oo my god. forum is alive.
    i look almost every day to forum but it used to die...
    Ditto. I had been logged out, forgot my password, got a new one and - silence out there. I thought the logging out had somehow changed my settings so new posts won't filter in. Drone, you might post an empty message every now and then to let everybody know there are some survivors on the island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Drone, you might post an empty message every now and then to let everybody know there are some survivors on the island.
    Piiiinnngggg!

Seems odd that Redux works with the old fix at 2048 MB, but not with the ddraw.dll which does the reports the same amount of memory. Maybe there is a disconnect between the code that checks memory strictly for the resolution choices, and how the actual memory gets allocated with all the necessary textures, which Redux will definitely tax more heavily.

today is my off day
    hmm now I'm gonna play another game...
    which faction I'll choose
    long live my king...
    lets start

We're still here, just waiting for someone to ask a question or post some screenshots of their campaign...

Hello Nagnar, the fix does not depend on any vanilla files but I am not surprised it does not work with an extensive mod. Mods may change the memory requirements in such a way that the hard-coded limit may no longer be compatible. I may consider creating a configuration file where one can manually set the amount of memory that ddraw.dll should report to the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    We're still here, just waiting for someone to ask a question
    Ok, but remember, you were waiting for it. This seems to be a wrong thread for it and the problem was broached in my very first post at this forum, but caravel is so starved for questions...
    Well, it is about attacking from different provinces. It has been elucidated by Asai that if two armies attack from different provinces the same province of the enemy thus combining into a single army, it (the army) will be headed by the general with more stars. But what if the generals have equal number of stars? What determines the appointment of the joint army's leader - piety, dread, hidden v&vs or random choice of the AI?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Well, it is about attacking from different provinces. It has been elucidated by Asai that if two armies attack from different provinces the same province of the enemy thus combining into a single army, it (the army) will be headed by the general with more stars. But what if the generals have equal number of stars? What determines the appointment of the joint army's leader - piety, dread, hidden v&vs or random choice of the AI?
    I imagine it would be the same with multi-unit stacks (which I haven't really looked at). Pile a bunch of 1-stars into a stack and see which one gets the nod.

I'm going to take a complete and totally unevidenced guess: date of rank since all militaries I know of have done it that way forever. If saluting goes back to the middle ages (raising the visor to acknowledge friendly intent), then other such customs may well date back to then.

I've tried this fix with BKB Supermod, XL Tiberious version, MedMod, Fall of Rome, and others, and it does fix the resolution problems. I always get crashes though and it's usually the next "end of turn" after fighting a battle. Is this related to the ddraw.dll when transitioning from the battle mode to the strategy map? Do you think the button fix would help? It does get annoying crashing after battles but I hate to auto resolve them.

If you have any problems involving strategy map (especially CTDs) you should try button fix.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast