Thread: Coming Soon from GeneralHankerchief

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Coming Soon from GeneralHankerchief

The Presence sails again.

NOW IN DEVELOPMENT.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Re: Coming Soon from GeneralHankerchief

FIRST SECOND THIRD AND FOURTH

I must has in.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Fifth.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beeth
    Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Member Member Plasmanaut on Fire Champion Memnon's Avatar

I would like in, please.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After several long brainstorming sessions, I'm pleased to announce that the premise and balancing have been finished. I'll be rolling out some of the features you'll be seeing over the next month as we draw closer to game time. Here's the first one:

Individual treasure accumulation will once again play a part. Additionally, for every player you recruit to play, you will gain a moderate treasure bonus.

So it's worth it to pester your friends.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

DaveShack pesters DaveShack
    DaveShack is in

bonus?

Blog Entries

Townie PM? Townie PM. Oh yeah, you guys are gonna have fun in this game.

Your role is:

Able Seaman (townie)

"[Pirate Quote Here]"
    ~ [Quote Author Here]

Welcome aboard! You signed onto the crew of the Presence seeking treasure and adventure, and boy, are you getting both. You fought well in the boarding action against the Spanish Treasure Fleet and now possess a king’s ransom of treasure just waiting to be spent in Nassau… provided you get back alive, for it is apparent that the dreaded Guardacosta has snuck agents aboard. It is going to take some work if you ever want to see dry land again, but you’re confident in your abilities. Besides, history is on your side. The last time the Presence was in such danger, it was ordinary crewmen such as yourselves – not the officers - that was the biggest factor in the ship making it home, taking down four enemies in random vigilante hits. Not bad for the unwashed masses, eh?

Your goals: You have two main goals, each of which is equally important.

First of all, you want to eliminate every last threat on board the Presence. Naturally, this threat comes mainly in the shape of the Guardacosta but there could be other enemies looming…

Secondly, you want to acquire as much gold for yourself as possible. While there will most likely be a winning faction on Pirate Ship Mafia, in essence there can only be one *true* winner, and that’s whoever has the most gold. However, you will also score well if you survive and stay on board period, accumulate a lot of treasure before dying, or abandon ship with a lot of treasure and the Presence crew ends up losing.

You will not score so well if you die early on, abandon ship with little treasure, or abandon ship and later witness the Presence crew win.

If there is a Presence victory, the game will end the first night there are no kill attempts after all outside threats have been eliminated.

Powers: Each night, you may perform one of the following actions:
    - Sleep. This means you will do nothing for the night. However, still sending in the order will net you a small gain in treasure.
    - Protect a target with a group of at least three people, including yourself. The chances for a successful protection increase with numbers. All orders must match for a successful protection. You will be awarded the full amount of treasure if the target is still alive at the end of the night, even if he is not attacked.
    - Kill a target with a group of at least four people, including yourself. The chances for a successful kill increase with numbers. All orders must match for a successful kill.
    - Individually steal gold from a target of your choice. You will receive anywhere from 5-20 gold, unless your target is guarding his gold.
    - Choose to guard your stash of gold. Should anyone try to steal from gold the nights you are guarding, they will be unsuccessful and their identity will publicly be revealed.
    - If offered an event by me, you may choose to take part in that event as opposed to your normal night actions. Further details will follow in my “event” PM.
    - Abandon Ship: Leave the Presence with all of your treasure. Abandoning ship means you depart the game permanently, so choose wisely when you do this.

In addition, you may perform the following actions during the day:
    - Vote to determine who will walk the plank.
    - Vote for a new Captain on Day 1 and whenever else it is necessary.
    - In addition to this, you may also try to remove the Captain by voting for a mutiny. The proper way to do this in the thread is Vote: Mutiny. If 50% or more of living players vote for a mutiny, the Captain is removed from his position and executed along with whoever has the most votes. You automatically gain 10 treasure for a successful mutiny, plus the Captain’s entire stash of gold is evenly divided up among mutineers. In addition, only those who mutinied will be eligible to select the next Captain.

At any time, you may privately send me a Will detailing who your treasure goes to in the event of your death. You will automatically lose 50 treasure upon dying, but you can dictate who that treasure goes to, if anybody. Wills will only be considered valid if they are sent to me/updated at least three hours prior to your death.

Furthermore, you are allowed to transfer small amounts of treasure between crew members. The caveats to this are that is a maximum 10 treasure per person per day, the transfer must be for services rendered, and the services must be publicly available (in other words, no breaking the game by pooling all of your gold into one source).

Lastly… good luck!

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

That is a delectable PM, GH. I don't believe I played your 1st Pirate Ship Mafia. I'll be sticking around for this one no doubt.

Your role is:

Able Seaman (townie)
    You know, I was once part of a crew on a vessel filled to the brim with [nope].

Anyways, obligatory joke out of the way, it looks really promising so far.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 08-20-2012 at 05:57. Reason: too much male organic fluid

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You disappoint me, Chaotix. GH, on the other hand, has made me a very happy sailor.

It was just a harmless pun.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I will return to mafia for this one.

Blog Entries

Seeing as we're getting closer to the game's start date, I figured that now would be as good of a time as any to present you with the excuse plot to have a game on board a pirate ship.

May 23, 1720
    Aboard the Spanish Treasure Galleon Marquesa

The impact of the Spanish treasure fleet had on its country’s economy could not be overstated. Every year since the 1590s, a flotilla of the largest ships imaginable would make their way around the Caribbean picking up gold, silver, and other riches from all the Spanish colonies and then take them back to Mother Spain. Even though the Spanish Empire had been on the downswing for quite a while now, the amount of riches that the treasure fleet held was incalculable.

Naturally, the men on board the
    Presence wanted some for themselves.

One ship trying to take down the entire fleet would be folly, of course – only a Dutch admiral and a Category 5 hurricane had ever accomplished that – but it wouldn’t be too much trouble to pick off two or three ships, coming up from the rear. It would be risky and bloody, of course, but that had never stopped the pirates before. And so, it fell to the
    Marquesa, being the rearmost ship in the fleet, to be especially on the alert for pirate attacks.

Unfortunately for the
    Marquesa, the pirates quite literally caught the Spaniards napping. At around two in the morning, Diego Sanchez, the sailor who was supposed to be manning the Crow’s Nest, was instead sound asleep, and thus unable to spot the dark silhouette coming up on the horizon. The Presence took the Marquesa in complete surprise.

The ship was taken easily, but the next two closest ships in the treasure fleet had more alert sailors, and pretty soon a sneak attack had turned into an all-out battle on the high seas. The Spanish had the numbers, but the pirates had better men, and at the end of the fighting the men of the
    Presence triumphed in a very bloody victory.

The survivors of the battle quickly hauled as much treasure as they could off the three Spanish ships and onto the
    Presence, wanting to make a clean getaway before the rest of the treasure fleet could realize what had happened. And so, a little after four in the morning, the Presence sailed off in the direction of its base at Nassau with an incredible haul. The entire attack, wildly successful, had only taken a little over two hours.

However, the attack had not come without a price. Once the chaos had subsided, the men on board did an impromptu roll call and found out that their Captain and most of the ship’s officers had died in the fighting.

“Right, boys,” said the seniormost sailor on board after the roll call had concluded, “It’s been a long night and there be no sense in dragging it out any longer. Let’s all get some sleep now, and come morning we’ll be electin’ a new Captain. Sound good?”

He was met with a chorus of hearty “ayes”, and everybody went below decks to get some much-needed sleep. The mission had been completed, the attack an unqualified success.

The adventure, however, was just about to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Seeing as we're getting closer to the game's start date, I figured that now would be as good of a time as any to present you with the excuse plot to have a game on board a pirate ship.
    Is it possible for a mafia game to have something besides an excuse plot? The decision for a few people to represent the town, with the knowledge that the mafia have infiltrated these representatives, in order to brutally murder townspeople one by one until the mafia are eliminated while the mafia brutally murder townspeople one by one until the townspeople are eliminated is completely and utterly loony and nonsensical for both mafia and townspeople, regardless of the context.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zaccino View Post
    Is it possible for a mafia game to have something besides an excuse plot? The decision for a few people to represent the town, with the knowledge that the mafia have infiltrated these representatives, in order to brutally murder townspeople one by one until the mafia are eliminated while the mafia brutally murder townspeople one by one until the townspeople are eliminated is completely and utterly loony and nonsensical for both mafia and townspeople, regardless of the context.
    Well, it does actually work better in this setting. Confined space, everyone's represented, no actual law enforcement present, etc. etc. etc.

Hah! My game's more realistic!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Well, it does actually work better in this setting. Confined space, everyone's represented, no actual law enforcement present, etc. etc. etc.

Hah! My game's more realistic!
    I know, I'm just saying the entire concept of a mafia game is extremely unrealistic.

Blog Entries

How dare he speak the truth. To the brig with you!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaccino View Post
    I know, I'm just saying the entire concept of a mafia game is extremely unrealistic.
    That sounds like scum talk.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

YARRR!!!

Thar be nuthin' unrealistic transpirin' here, matey. Now watch as I feed my parrot a cracker using only my hook hand while balancing on my peg leg.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a game on board a pirate ship
    icwutudidthar