Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kalashnikov Dead

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Kalashnikov Dead

Kalashnikov Dead at age 94

http://news.yahoo.com/rifle-designer...iacontentstory

What do you say about someone like this?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kalashnikov Dead

I say: Meh.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-25-2013 at 00:19.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Not christmas yet? Design is stolen, the Kalashnikov is the Sturmgewehr 44 that was developed in Germany.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-24-2013 at 16:29.

Member thankful for this post:

Fragony is ofc wrong again.

Brilliant guy, hero of his nation when it mattered..

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Fragony is ofc wrong again.

Brilliant guy, hero of his nation when it mattered..

RIP
    Nope, I am not, google will solve things very fast.

Looks familiar? http://www.efour4ever.com/sturmgewhe...ncross_920.jpg
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-24-2013 at 19:22.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Someone like what?

He was a weapon designer, he didn't force anyone to use them.

He had a job and he did it very well.

"Blame the Nazi Germans for making me become a gun designer," said Kalashnikov. "I always wanted to construct agricultural machinery."
    Although I don't care much for gun designers and would have preferred if his inventiveness was focused on agricultural machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Nope, I am not, google will solve things very fast.

Looks familiar? http://www.efour4ever.com/sturmgewhe...ncross_920.jpg
    You really have no clue what you're talking about, do you?
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 12-24-2013 at 20:46.

Members thankful for this post (5):

Kalashnikov's AK was not all that brilliant of a design. It has only become iconic due to its patron state. The Warsaw Pact should have adopted Jiří Čermák's vz.58, but the Soviet Union never would have accepted non-Russian derived weapon system at a level so central to its propaganda efforts.

It depends how you look at it. There were more precise rifles out there, with better range and a rate of fire but Kalash did what it supposed to do. Simplistic design, easy to maintain, easy to use, cheap, reliable, functions properly even in extreme weather conditions...

I'm not an expert on rifles by any means, vz.58 could be a better rifle than ak 74, Czechs had/have a quite good armaments industry...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    You really have no clue what you're talking about, do you?
    Sure I don't. What does it matter that he admitted it himself.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Sure I don't. What does it matter that he admitted it himself.
    Frags:

There is at least one source claiming that he denied such. This wiki suggests that the AK-47 inherited features from the M1 Garand and the Remington 8 (an antecedent of the BAR) as well as using a gas-operated system akin to that of the STG-44, but also akin to that of the SVT-38, a soviet automatic rifle that the Germans encountered (and snatched and used against the former owners). Implying that he "stole" the design is a little silly -- when enough features/ideas are taken from different places it's called research.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Now now, Seamus. It's rude to confuse Frags with this whole knowledge thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Frags:

There is at least one source claiming that he denied such. This wiki suggests that the AK-47 inherited features from the M1 Garand and the Remington 8 (an antecedent of the BAR) as well as using a gas-operated system akin to that of the STG-44, but also akin to that of the SVT-38, a soviet automatic rifle that the Germans encountered (and snatched and used against the former owners). Implying that he "stole" the design is a little silly -- when enough features/ideas are taken from different places it's called research.
    The AK47 was build in cooperation with the Germans who made the Sturmgewehr 44. It isn't the revolutionary design people take it for. It's an evolutionary build based on the Sturmgewehr 44.

He admitted this, you know better than the man himself?

@Kadagar_AV, stop falling in love with me, I said no and I mean it. I am not into that.
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-02-2014 at 07:20.

The AK47 was build in cooperation with the Germans who made the Sturmgewehr 44. It isn't the revolutionary design people take it for. It's an evolutionary build based on the Sturmgewehr 44.

He admitted this, you know better than the man himself?
    Just because rifles look alike externally doesn't mean that they use same mechanisms internally. The rifle PJ mentioned, vz.58 looks almost exactly the same as AK-47 but it's totally different inside.

Just because rifles look alike externally doesn't mean that they use same mechanisms internally. The rifle PJ mentioned, vz.58 looks almost exactly the same as AK-47 but it's totally different inside.
    Ffs he even admitted it. The AK47 was developed in cooperation with Meinfeld who developed the Stg44 and was flown into Russia after the war. Just like the USA did fly out german scientists on their parts. Germans may have their mistakes but they sure are excellent engineers.

Ffs he even admitted it. The AK47 was developed in cooperation with Meinfeld who developed the Stg44 and was flown into Russia after the war. Just like the USA did fly out german scientists on their parts. Germans may have their mistakes but they sure are excellent engineers.
    It. Is. A. Different. Rifle! Simple as that.

Wherever you read about that, it was bollox.

Fragony's post here is the third link on Google when you search for "Meinfeld AK-47", so there goes my attempt to find anything about that...

What I can find are theories about Hugo Schmeisser having developed the rifle instead, the Moscow Times calls it a fringe theory however, while the only sources claiming that Kalashnikov admitted that Schmeisser did it are apparently blogs, like this one.

Of course both sides have an agenda, some people hate the soviets and do not want to attribute such a wonderful rifle to them or they just love the Nazis so much that they do not think Russians were capable of coming up with anything decent (which is wrong of course). On the other hand the Russians wouldn't just admit if a German engineer helped design their iconic rifle just as Americans like to forget that they needed German technologies to get to the moon and to break the sound barrier.

Quite frankly I don't think it's important, I find it far more debatable and worthy of debate whether the development of that rifle or any other weapon is a good thing that ensures peace or makes one indirectly responsible for all the deaths this weapon causes. To me this doesn't seem really clear cut. Unless one considers the unlikely option that all humans would stop developing weapons, someone will always make the tools to kill people anyway, so why wouldn't he try to give his people an edge? What seems far less moral is giving them to shady people for money but even that seems inevitable.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

It. Is. A. Different. Rifle! Simple as that.

Wherever you read about that, it was bollox.
    Just not exactly the same

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Fragony's post here is the third link on Google when you search for "Meinfeld AK-47", so there goes my attempt to find anything about that...

What I can find are theories about Hugo Schmeisser having developed the rifle instead, the Moscow Times calls it a fringe theory however, while the only sources claiming that Kalashnikov admitted that Schmeisser did it are apparently blogs, like this one.

Of course both sides have an agenda, some people hate the soviets and do not want to attribute such a wonderful rifle to them or they just love the Nazis so much that they do not think Russians were capable of coming up with anything decent (which is wrong of course). On the other hand the Russians wouldn't just admit if a German engineer helped design their iconic rifle just as Americans like to forget that they needed German technologies to get to the moon and to break the sound barrier.

Quite frankly I don't think it's important, I find it far more debatable and worthy of debate whether the development of that rifle or any other weapon is a good thing that ensures peace or makes one indirectly responsible for all the deaths this weapon causes. To me this doesn't seem really clear cut. Unless one considers the unlikely option that all humans would stop developing weapons, someone will always make the tools to kill people anyway, so why wouldn't he try to give his people an edge? What seems far less moral is giving them to shady people for money but even that seems inevitable.
    I thought we stole most of our sound barrier stuff from the Brits, just like we adopted their implosion calculations for Fat Man. The rest of the Moon program, as you rightly note, was Werner and crowd -- who actually bothered to read Goddard, unlike most of the U.S. establishment prior to the V2.

Frags:

There are simply too many antecedent concepts from too many directions, ALL of which went into Kalash's development of the AK-47. Significant direct German involvement is unlikely because of timing (indirect plenty of course based on captures). While the weapon was adopted in 1947, that was following nearly 2.5 years of development, trials, and provings. German weapons design was certainly one influence, but by no means the only one.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

RIP, I feel sad for him for having to sit back and watch his invention become hijacked by undesirable types... I suppose even turned against his own countrymen in Afghanistan and the like.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

I thought we stole most of our sound barrier stuff from the Brits, just like we adopted their implosion calculations for Fat Man.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swept_wing#Development

I just remember reading in a book about how you (Anglos ) had problerms breaking the sound barrier because of structural problems at such high speeds. That was until one of the designers had a look at older German designs and found the solution in swept wing designs. Been a while since I read that and I do not have the book anymore but at least wiki seems to agree that German engineers figured that out relatively early before breaking the sound barrier was even a reachable goal.

Basically seems like we had a solution without really having the problem and you (the British/Anglos) then copied our solution when you actually had the problem.

Germany also designed the first stealth airplane in WW2 already, it took you years after the war to come up with such a design, although yours more sophisticated of course.

I thought we stole most of our sound barrier stuff from the Brits, just like we adopted their implosion calculations for Fat Man. The rest of the Moon program, as you rightly note, was Werner and crowd -- who actually bothered to read Goddard, unlike most of the U.S. establishment prior to the V2.

Frags:

There are simply too many antecedent concepts from too many directions, ALL of which went into Kalash's development of the AK-47. Significant direct German involvement is unlikely because of timing (indirect plenty of course based on captures). While the weapon was adopted in 1947, that was following nearly 2.5 years of development, trials, and provings. German weapons design was certainly one influence, but by no means the only one.
    Not the only one, but the the model is based on the original design. After WW2 Russia imported German weapon experts, so did you. That shouldn't be new to anyone, I thought it was common knowledge.

Not the only one, but the the model is based on the original design. After WW2 Russia imported German weapon experts, so did you. That shouldn't be new to anyone, I thought it was common knowledge.
    You seem to know everything about it, so why don't you start with explaining who Meinfeld is? Google obviously cites you as the only source on his work on the StG-44.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

The success of the Kalashnikov is due to its resilience and it simplicity. I learn to dismantle one just in looking at the mechanism. It s simple. If you try to do this with a FAMAS, you will go for big trouble (especially with the extractor system). The M.14 was inferior and the M.16 (and later) too sophisticated. At the time of the AK47 (47 being the year or production) look at what the others had to offer. About the Stgwhr 44, if it was so good, why no country used it?
    Kalashnikov is the equivalent of Henry, inventor of the Winchester. He created a weapon that will be the symbol of the fight for freedom and independence for some and horrible dictatorships for others.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    About the Stgwhr 44, if it was so good, why no country used it?
    Err, silly question. Some are still in use today in third world countries, but not many were produced in the first place.
    Not one piece of German WW2 equipment was produced after the war but quite a bit was used, Panzer IV and V were used in some countries and their 75mm guns continued to be useful for a while. The "problem" was that Germany was neither supposed nor allowed to build weapons anymore. That doesn't mean the AK-47 was bad, but there were definitely political reasons why the StG-44 wasn't used by any army after the war, there were probably not nearly enough to equip an entire army and have replacement parts left anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    You seem to know everything about it, so why don't you start with explaining who Meinfeld is? Google obviously cites you as the only source on his work on the StG-44.
    Frags is just giving too much weight to dubious blogs. Even a layman could see the differences if both rifles were disassembled in front of him.

Seamus is right, AK-47 was influenced by various previous designs, but it isn't a copy of any single one.

RIP
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

a“Err, silly question”: Nope. The French did use the Panther after WW2, And Japanese planes as well, at the start of the Indochina Wars, but not the Stg44. The AK was simpler and that is it. It was better suit for fighting that the Stg44. Could be a problem of munitions. 7.92 mm was not the usual one.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    a“Err, silly question”: Nope. The French did use the Panther after WW2, And Japanese planes as well, at the start of the Indochina Wars, but not the Stg44. The AK was simpler and that is it. It was better suit for fighting that the Stg44. Could be a problem of munitions. 7.92 mm was not the usual one.
    Well, you didn't use the AK, but you did actually use the StG-44 according to wikipedia.

There is however still the problem that it was not in production anymore, Iran also still uses F-14s but they are becoming fewer and fewer because they have to cannibalize them to get spare parts. In most cases armies also do not want to give rifles to half of their infantry and completely different rifles to the other half of their infantry. With fewer than 500,000 StG-44 produced and probably even fewer available after the war, no serious nation could have equipped its entire army with StG-44s and thought that this was a somewhat future-proof equipment. I wouldn't even say the AK-47 is worse, it has quite a few advantages, but to cite the number of users as proof given that one rifle was basically limited in the numbers available is quite odd. It's a bit like saying the VW Golf must perform better than a McLaren F1 because it has more users.

was influenced by various previous designs
    Every single invention in the history of mankind is.

We're standing on the shoulder of giants, ya know.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Also this:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast