Thread: Can we talk about?

Default Can we talk about?

How about the Armenian Genocide that was banned a while back in France? Not sure but I think the French courts over-ruled the new law that made it an offence to deny that the Turks slaughtered millions of Armenians in 1918-20.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default Re: Can we talk about?

First post and I score a Godwin.

"No one remembers the Armenians."

Except the Kardashians.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

From past experience here, it is an emotionally charged topic for Org patrons from that part of the world. I do not have fond memories of moderating those discussions in the Monastery.
    This space intentionally left blank

The other topic ended predictably: censorship, or 'translation': 'I am the admin STFU'. The admin made it clear in that topic, it is not about the subject, it is about his personal safety. That is it - no holocaust denial because this guy is scared of being arrested for a site he does not own. It is a pretext.

Andre: the anthill becoming a mountain was entirely your doing. I am not the guy scared of being arrested because someone is posting something controversial on a kids gaming site. My advice? Pull the plug - it is safer still.

Some of the other admin guys made it clear from their replies that they did not want holocaust denialists doing their thing in the back room, because the holocaust happened and why deny the thing? Can you see the problem there? No I guess not.

What you have here is some 'wacko' is thinking outside the box, what you fellas call a 'loon' or whatever. The response is 'tinfoil hat', 'conspiracy theorist' and all that jazz. If you label every guy with a different opinion like that and treat them like a moron, it makes the forum less attractive and you have got nothing left to talk about. If you keep this up you will have every guy agreeing in a few years. Maybe he is a complete tool and is posting crap, but why not challenge it with facts or good debating rather than poking fun, labels and a stupid rule?

Andre you can cancel my registration here now. I was bored today, so decided to come back to harass you all LOL!

No hard feelings folks, just telling it like it is.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

The decision about holocaust denial was for the very specific reason that the staff doesn't want to be exposed to potential legal action. Unless a similar risk exists or arises for other historical events I don't think that the same will apply. We've had threads about the Armenian genocide (or... "incident") before.

thechicken, you're a troll. You registered to complain about a forum that you don't actually participate in and even had the gall to threaten "if you don't reverse this decision, I will simply not post in the backroom". Quite frankly that's a petty, sad thing to do, and nobody here is impressed by it.

Kralczk,

"if you don't reverse this decision, I will simply not post in the backroom"

This is not my quote, I think you confused me with someone else because I did not post in the back room in the first place.

As to me being a 'troll', yes go ahead, I will not take offense, ok well just a little, wait a second while I wipe away a tear and blow my nose, but consider that I have only blogged here a couple times, only in two topics and only in this forum. Like I said from the start, I am a lurker, read this board for years but never found the reason to write stuff before. I only started reading back room topics since they opened it, how long has that been? few months, a year? It makes interesting reading, but its now a shame that Andre, who never posts there, is looking to restrict what the guys can talk about. Anyway look, I am out, for real this time, no more 'troll' posting. Have fun.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Thechicken, you are a horrible person. I find it utterly disgusting that you cant put aside the notion that he is being selfish and realize that he only has to do this because he is afraid of legal action that would harm not only this forum but also his personal life.
    Now go away, we dont want someone here who cant take into consideration the very real concerns of another member.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechicken View Post
    I was bored today, so decided to come back to harass you all LOL!
    The nice thing about somebody who's trolling is that eventually, they will just go ahead and tell you, "Hi, I am trolling."

It's kinda thoughtful, actually.
    Last edited by Lemur; 08-17-2012 at 17:49.

Hi! I am a long time lurker and i couldn't help but see this drama unfold so i thought I should sign up and comment too

i am really loving this site up especially the new rome2 frontpage and already bookmarked the guide section for when the game comes out when beasteggfrog does one of his great guides again!!!

but i don't think thechicken is being representive of anyone who visits this forum infrequently he seems like such a horrible person and i think the fact even such a horrible person has a free right to speak in an adminstrative section in this site is actually a testament to its free speech as if he posted like that on other forums he would be instantly banned from the site and this is including those which are actually 'pro-free speech' which advocates holocasut denial as an active policy

so i wanted to say to the staff members well done for making this a nice place to visit and it is lovely to see members actually caring about eachother such as those expressed by hooahguy <3

aww those cute smilies don't work
    Last edited by Lurker Below; 08-17-2012 at 17:16.

Hoohahguy, you take life waaaaaay too seriously. sorry you were offended, I am however happy to take my horrible little ass and 'go away' leaving this site to you and your friends. no need to tell me twice. Really.

Lemur, do not feed the trolls.

Lurker Below, love it! now register a few hundred accounts like that, put the mods in control and you have the makings of a great site. at least it will look like there are some members here. seriously:

OMGWTFLOLKTHXBAI!!!!

Kids today eh?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker Below View Post
    so i wanted to say to the staff members well done for making this a nice place to visit and it is lovely to see members actually caring about eachother such as those expre
    Not sure if that was sarcasm, probably was. But thanks anyways for coming.
    Also Frogbeastegg is a woman, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by thechicken View Post
    Hoohahguy, you take life waaaaaay too seriously. sorry you were offended, I am however happy to take my horrible little ass and 'go away' leaving this site to you and your friends. no need to tell me twice. Really.
    It has nothing to do with being offended. Its the lack of courtesy. A long standing member and admin of this forum said that he was worried about legal charges being levied against him which would ruin his life. In light of that, he said that Holocaust denial will be forbidden because its not worth it to restrict one topic at the cost of a man's life. Then you come along and say that Holocaust denial on this forum is more important than someone's real life.
    Thats why Im angry.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

For crissake. You can discuss Holocaust happenings etc, but you can't say it didn't happen. End of ****ing story. Deal with it. Stop thread****ing.

Now, @Andres, or @Tiaexz or @Secura.

Is there an answer to the OP?

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Is there an answer to the OP?
    It's a tough one, but I would say it's fine to discuss.

The Armenian Genocide is in a similar situation to the Holocaust in that denying they happened in the face of historical evidence is quite silly, but differs in that the Holocaust is internationally recognised as having been genocide while what happened to the Armenians is not; the UK government, for example, states that the events in the Ottoman Empire do not qualify to be called genocide as evidence doesn't unequivocally suggest an "intent to destroy [the Armenian people]". It's not denying that many Armenians died, more that the actions of the Ottomans were not intended to wipe out the Armenians in the same fashion as The Final Solution was for Europe's Jews a few decades later.
    Last edited by Secura; 08-17-2012 at 22:07.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker Below View Post
    Hi! I am a long time lurker and i couldn't help but see this drama unfold so i thought I should sign up and comment too

i am really loving this site up especially the new rome2 frontpage and already bookmarked the guide section for when the game comes out when beasteggfrog does one of his great guides again!!!

but i don't think thechicken is being representive of anyone who visits this forum infrequently he seems like such a horrible person and i think the fact even such a horrible person has a free right to speak in an adminstrative section in this site is actually a testament to its free speech as if he posted like that on other forums he would be instantly banned from the site and this is including those which are actually 'pro-free speech' which advocates holocasut denial as an active policy

so i wanted to say to the staff members well done for making this a nice place to visit and it is lovely to see members actually caring about eachother such as those expressed by hooahguy <3

aww those cute smilies don't work
    This gimmick is tired and needs a nap.

Member thankful for this post:

Beskar 

Well at the risk of breaking the rules (in France) what would happen if someone asserted that the Armenian 'genocide' did not occur?

Hi, I am lurker long time. My name is Boris Kuturkockoff.

I am have problem with childrens gamer website. Some traitors in room of backs try to slander great leader Putin. I would very like much for traitors to mother Russia banned.

Much obligations in thanks to admins.

-Boris

Member thankful for this post:

Andres 

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Most discussions of the Holocaust happen in the Monastery.

Holocaust Denial is only one tiny sub-topic out of the whole Backroom.

We have the off the rack standards of Gun Control, Abortion, Liberal vs liberal, Octo-Squids and News of the Weird.

=][=

Children's game site... Ouch, electronic paper cut finished off with some lemon juice.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoFarSoGood View Post
    Well at the risk of breaking the rules (in France) what would happen if someone asserted that the Armenian 'genocide' did not occur?
    As a matter of fact, it was considered to include denail of the Armenian genocide into the same law, but eventually, it didn't happen, because Belgium didn't want to ruin its' (excellent) relations with Turkey.

It's a topic you can discuss, but keep in mind that general forum rules always apply. If you deny in a provocative way, just to hurt others people's feelings, then you'll violate our general rules, so your posts on the topic will have to be well thought out and respectful.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

It strikes me that politicians should have better things to be dealing with rather making insane laws on matters of historical debate. No wonder Europe is in a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by thcicn View Post
    If you label every guy with a different opinion like that and treat them like a moron, it makes the forum less attractive and you have got nothing left to talk about. If you keep this up you will have every guy agreeing in a few years. Maybe he is a complete tool and is posting crap, but why not challenge it with facts or good debating rather than poking fun, labels and a stupid rule?
    Oh yes, you're so right, so glad you want to contribute to good discussion.

Andre you can cancel my registration here now. I was bored today, so decided to come back to harass you all LOL!
    Wait, now you don't?

This is not my quote, I think you confused me with someone else because I did not post in the back room in the first place.
    Oh, so you never did in the past either? Interesting, go on...

As to me being a 'troll', yes go ahead, I will not take offense, ok well just a little, wait a second while I wipe away a tear and blow my nose, but consider that I have only blogged here a couple times, only in two topics and only in this forum.
    Blogged in a topic, only twice? Someone who really cares about contributing now.

Like I said from the start, I am a lurker, read this board for years but never found the reason to write stuff before. I only started reading back room topics since they opened it, how long has that been? few months, a year?
    Yes, you really, deeply care about adding the right content to the site, I can see it by now.

It makes interesting reading, but its now a shame that Andre, who never posts there, is looking to restrict what the guys can talk about.
    So people who don't post there shouldn't have an opinion on what can and cannot be posted there? Yes, what possible implications may that have? Why are you here again?

Anyway look, I am out, for real this time, no more 'troll' posting. Have fun.
    Aww no, now my reply is in vain and you will never read it and see the light.

Yaaaay, you're baaa...no you're not, but you didn't have to tell us twice. Really.

Lemur, do not feed the trolls.
    We don't like to see our kind being hungry and speaking for myself, I like to hear myself talk.

at least it will look like there are some members here. seriously:
    Spoken like a true parasite. Translation: "Make the other guys write things I can read for my enjoyment, but don't ask me to lift a finger and write something myself other than whining about the others not writing enough."

Not that people can't just read the site, but to then come and whine about not getting enough content out of a site where the content is decided by the contributions of all is quite rich.

Have a good life.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

So many lurkers are suddenly signing up just to discuss about banned topics.....and to think that recently there were problems (IIRC) with Org not getting enough traffic.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.