Thread: Europe of the Barbarians: The Rise of the Massalian League

Default Europe of the Barbarians: The Rise of the Massalian League

This will be the second of my side aars, the first one being, Catalysm: Legend of the Haven

As I said before I have a few AAR ideas and I will write a few chapters of each in the beginning. Which ever AARs get the most positive feedback will be continued

This AAR is about the Massalian League

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Europe of the Barbarians: The Rise of the Massalian League

Setting

The Provinces and Colonies of the Massalian League

We are surrounded by enemies on every side. From the north, the great Aedui Federation have united most of Northern and Central Gaul. Now they turn their eyes south, at our beloved Massalia. To the west, are the Lusitanians, masters of Iberia. Their warbands ravage our lands and every year, more and more people flock to the safety of Massalia's walls. To the South, the Carthaginian Republic, their greed Insatiable. But it is too our west that our most dangerous enemy lurks. The Republic of Rome seeks to make us their slaves. With inexhaustible manpower reserves, their endless hordes pour into our lands every year

But not all is lost. We have our island colonies, bringing in Trade and Riches to pay for our troops. We have a wise leader, Ptolemaios, our hero and undefeated protector, the man who made Massalia masters of Southern Gaul and spread our influence as far as Sardinia and the Baleric Isles. Yes there is still hope, but we must act quickly. Our beloved leader has gathered our armies and now plans to seek revenge on the Romans and Iberians, who have caused us so much woe.

The First Army is composed of the veterans of Ptolemaios and led by his brother Helenos. This was the army that created the league. Composed of unwavering Greek veterans who are more than a match for the Legions of Rome. However our true strength lies in our veteran cavalry. Recruited from the Gauls and with the experience of 20 years of war, their charges decide battles and their mere sight brings fear to the hearts of our adversaries.

The Second army is composed of Hellenized gauls, mercenary Iberians and hoplites from Emporion. They Guard the southern border for now but soon they may be called into action

Our Kingdom stands at the Brink. Victory or Destruction? Only the future can tell...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; 08-31-2012 at 12:07.

Member thankful for this post:

Victory!

Massilia pisses off both the Romans AND the Carthaginians.

Nice work - let's see the Greeks try taking on both at once!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

I tried this once, similarly with a migrated Epeiros. I gave up in the end because I didn't take the islands and my economy was permanently in the toilet. Moreover, dealing with near-permanent Roman encroachment just got boring.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

On a more positive note, I tried this again starting with Alalia as well as Massalia, and it's much more feasible. I also fixed the Roman-encroachment problem by repeatedly spawning troops in the garrisons of Segesta, Bononia and Patavium to keep them bottled up in Italy and encourage them to go south first.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR