Thread: Help please? Seeking XGM 'Amazon' Archers!

Default Help please? Seeking XGM 'Amazon' Archers!

I so thoroughly lack modding skills to do this one myself else I might have never registered here in the first place, though am a huge fan of the site and the hosted mods. In particular, XGM for RTW.

I use the Athenian Hoplites with the 'A' which was a mod for them on the battle map. This is not a complaint on them when I say it still shows the old shields on the unit card, that's fine.

What I am looking for in particular, and this does not have to be portrayed on the unit card either, is a female Cretan Archer model. I don't want to change any stats on it, just replace the C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\xgm\Data\models_unit\textures\UNIT_GREEK_ARCHER_CRETAN.TGA.DDS model like in putting in the reskinned Athenian Hoplites. This would be the path on my particular computer, others might not match it. Something close to the vanilla amazon chariot archer unit but on foot would be pretty. Maybe if its not too difficult add a little strawberry tint to their hair.

I realize this might take some realism out of the game but its just for me.. and isn't the Amazon contemplations born from Greek tales? Further I like my women to fight in the battle with my men! If any modder can make this and have it working with XGM, or send me a link where such is and could work with XGM already, I'll be thankful. All I want is the battlemap look changed, not campaign map/unit card or anything else. It's look should be an XGM look.. as in different mods of the game units can have varying looks about them. I've had Amazon mod before, and once I tried switching one of the xgm textures with one from the Amazon mod and .. well that didn't work. I no longer have the Amazon version of the game cause this is a new computer and I played XGM far more.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Help please? Seeking XGM 'Amazon' Archers!

Hello Maddy, welcome to the .Org .

It's been a while since I modded myself, but replacing the graphics from a unit should be fairly straightforward. Check out Epistolary Richard's guide on how to add units - that should contain the information you need. Just make sure that the Cretan model is not shared with other units.

The XGM has its own forum here, but by look of it, it has been abandoned. You are probably better off checking out their TWC forums.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Help please? Seeking XGM 'Amazon' Archers!

Thank you for the welcome, response, and in offering me a sense of direction on my pursuit.
    Not that it has further concern to this cause, I'm using Rome: TW 1.5, not the BI expansion. I do have it but that CD got badly scratched over the years. :-(

Yes, I tend to rant on and on, I'll hush now and go on with the leads you provided for me, thank you again Ludens.