Thread: Is there any mod that has realistic firing power

Default Is there any mod that has realistic firing power

I just tried darth mod i know that many praise darth mode but really shooting isnt realistic its really worse than vanillia

I mean rifled guns had like 100 per cent accurancy and high lethality in Darth mode 150 men shooting at 150 charging in less than 20 meters should cause obliteration

Thing that doesnt happen any suggestions ??1!

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Default Re: Is there any mod that has realistic firing power

Quote Originally Posted by Jo the Greek View Post
    I just tried darth mod i know that many praise darth mode but really shooting isnt realistic its really worse than vanillia

I mean rifled guns had like 100 per cent accurancy and high lethality in Darth mode 150 men shooting at 150 charging in less than 20 meters should cause obliteration

Thing that doesnt happen any suggestions ??1!
    One thing to remember is that that FOTS does not model fire by rank. In other words--if you have your line infantry in the standard 50 x 3 rank and file formation, then only the front rank of 50 men are firing. The other ranks are not firing and only fill in the spaces when somebody on the front rank gets hit. Also, unless you have elite line infantry, all of your troops are still firing single shot muzzle loaders, which of course affects the rate of fire.

The one thing the game does model is the military tech achievement of "kneel fire". This effectively doubles your fire power by allowing the two front ranks to fire at the same time. This only works for line infantry or above and not militia or levy units. Unfortunately this tech takes the third level of clan development, so it takes a while to get. However, it is a massive upgrade in infantry fire power--almost like getting cheap gatling guns.

Incidentally, you have to remember that once you put your infantry in "kneel fire" mode they are in sort of a "guard mode" and will not respond to any move commands unless you uncheck the mode. They will still respond to enemy contact however.

Line infantry have a reload skill and accuracy level that is about three times that of levy infantry. Elite line infantry and foreign Marines will have about double the skills of regular line troops, since they are supposed to be using breech loaders, but of course they are expensive. The other factors are that infantry recruited in provinces with a blacksmith shop have a higher rate of accuracy.

Lastly, you can also increase accuracy and reload skills though some of the traits choices when leveling up your imbedded Western advisor.

There may be mods that change some of this, but you will just have to look through what is available to find them.

Cheers

P.S. anybody feel free to correct me if I made any mis-statements
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 10-17-2012 at 15:59.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Thanks for reply well if you consider that they use rifles and a rifle could be accurate at 500 meters the game is a bit inaccurarte

Blog Entries

Thanks for reply well if you consider that they use rifles and a rifle could be accurate at 500 meters the game is a bit inaccurarte

Its a Game, if you want realism go and find yourself a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    Its a Game, if you want realism go and find yourself a war.
    People get in this kind of games cause of REalism insteand of Playing Age of Empire plus mods had from the start as purporse realism the Greatest mods of Total war had Realism first and historical Accurancy

As far you offensive reply

i have to say i dont what kind problems you have but you may are in wrong kind of games go and play Red alert or something

We can disagree with each other without getting snarky.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Hi Jo,

I might also point out that the rifles modeled in the game are supposed to represent mostly post US civil war era rifles, i.e., 1863 Springfield's and 1853 Enfield's---firing .58 and .577 caliber Minnie balls respectively. The ammunition was interchangeable in combat situations. On a target range, a trained marksman lying prone might get 500 meter hits, but on the battlefield under combat conditions the effective combat range was closer to 180 --240 meters. Remember that combat firing conditions are immensely different than firing range conditions.

The elite troops would have the breech loading versions of the same weapons, which would be the Trapdoor conversion of the Springfield and the Snider conversion of the Endfield. While much faster to load, these were still single shot rifles, so the soldier had to eject the spent round and manually load a new cartridge for each shot.

Of course these rifles had 3 to 5 times the effective range of Napoleonic smooth bores, but unfortunately military tacticians of the period were still using outdated Napoleonic tactics----concentrating on volley fire and not individual aimed fire. However, this was still deadly since most troops were simply standing in a line firing at a similar enemy line firing back. This was nerve wracking stuff and only experience, a steady hand under fire, and of course pure dumb luck counted toward survival. Cover, concealment, and small squad tactics were still many decades away for the majority of organized military.

Another factor in effective range is that while a muzzle loader can be fired from a prone position (greatly improving one's aim), it is difficult if not next to impossible to re-load while prone. One generally has to stand up to load or reload---hence troops standing in line firing volleys. Breech loaders solved this problem, but military commanders of the day were still stuck in out-moded Napoleonic tactical ideology.

There is all of that--and of course the fact that this is a still fundamentally only a game with a historical base, and not a true simulation of actual combat. As a game the developers have to sometimes have create what may seem like artificial levels of expertise to give the player goals to achieve to progress--or to "level up" if you want to use gaming vernacular.

However, IMHO, the TW games still do a pretty good job of simulating the difference in effectiveness of raw untrained troops versus hardened veterans through battle acquired combat experience for both units and their leaders-- along with occasional tactical advancements such as "kneel fire" or "suppression fire"

I do question the developers giving archers what appears to be the same effective range as riflemen, but that is another discussion.

Cheers

P.S. I forgot to mention that until the wide spread use of chemically formulated smokeless gunpowder much later in the century (around 1880 and on) all the weapons of this period were using black gun powder--even the breech loaders. Black powder is basically a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate (salt petre). I creates huge volumes of smoke--plus it leaves a fouling and corrosive residue behind in the weapons. Unless there is a strong wind present--after one or two volleys of rifle fire and/or artillery, the entire battlefield will be covered in a thick layer of smoke much like an equally dense fog.

I've done some ACW re-enacting and believe me, if it's a still day, the smoke can hang over a battlefield making it hard to see people only 10 or 15 meters away--and impossible to see anything 100 or 150 meters away. Directing units was made equally made hard by this problem. That's why commanders of the day usually removed themselves to any high ground available in an attempt to just see was going on.
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 11-12-2012 at 17:19. Reason: add post script
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    Hi Jo,

I might also point out that the rifles modeled in the game are supposed to represent mostly post US civil war era rifles, i.e., 1863 Springfield's and 1853 Enfield's---firing .58 and .577 caliber Minnie balls respectively. The ammunition was interchangeable in combat situations. On a target range, a trained marksman lying prone might get 500 meter hits, but on the battlefield under combat conditions the effective combat range was closer to 180 --240 meters. Remember that combat firing conditions are immensely different than firing range conditions.

The elite troops would have the breech loading versions of the same weapons, which would be the Trapdoor conversion of the Springfield and the Snider conversion of the Endfield. While much faster to load, these were still single shot rifles, so the soldier had to eject the spent round and manually load a new cartridge for each shot.

Of course these rifles had 3 to 5 times the effective range of Napoleonic smooth bores, but unfortunately military tacticians of the period were still using outdated Napoleonic tactics----concentrating on volley fire and not individual aimed fire. However, this was still deadly since most troops were simply standing in a line firing at a similar enemy line firing back. This was nerve wracking stuff and only experience, a steady hand under fire, and of course pure dumb luck counted toward survival. Cover, concealment, and small squad tactics were still many decades away for the majority of organized military.

Another factor in effective range is that while a muzzle loader can be fired from a prone position (greatly improving one's aim), it is difficult if not next to impossible to re-load while prone. One generally has to stand up to load or reload---hence troops standing in line firing volleys. Breech loaders solved this problem, but military commanders of the day were still stuck in out-moded Napoleonic tactical ideology.

There is all of that--and of course the fact that this is a still fundamentally only a game with a historical base, and not a true simulation of actual combat. As a game the developers have to sometimes have create what may seem like artificial levels of expertise to give the player goals to achieve to progress--or to "level up" if you want to use gaming vernacular.

However, IMHO, the TW games still do a pretty good job of simulating the difference in effectiveness of raw untrained troops versus hardened veterans through battle acquired combat experience for both units and their leaders-- along with occasional tactical advancements such as "kneel fire" or "suppression fire"

I do question the developers giving archers what appears to be the same effective range as riflemen, but that is another discussion.

Cheers

P.S. I forgot to mention that until the wide spread use of chemically formulated smokeless gunpowder much later in the century (around 1880 and on) all the weapons of this period were using black gun powder--even the breech loaders. Black powder is basically a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate (salt petre). I creates huge volumes of smoke--plus it leaves a fouling and corrosive residue behind in the weapons. Unless there is a strong wind present--after one or two volleys of rifle fire and/or artillery, the entire battlefield will be covered in a thick layer of smoke much like an equally dense fog.

I've done some ACW re-enacting and believe me, if it's a still day, the smoke can hang over a battlefield making it hard to see people only 10 or 15 meters away--and impossible to see anything 100 or 150 meters away. Directing units was made equally made hard by this problem. That's why commanders of the day usually removed themselves to any high ground available in an attempt to just see was going on.

This is some detailed information, thanks for sharing.