Thread: Game of Thrones game, Where for art thou?

Blog Entries

Default Game of Thrones game, Where for art thou?

It's been months since beskar closed the game of thrones game thread for some reason, Mafia's have lost all appeal and my addiction hasn't abated. As there is no game request thread I am making my shaking and sweating appeal here: Please, will someone let the Lion of Lannister back onto the field of battle?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Game of Thrones game, Where for art thou?

Ah, that was a fun game. The highlight was definitely killing Double A (Renly) and getting the blame pinned on you, Greyblades . That said, I think the sheer scale of it would probably overwhelm any single host - you'd really need at least two very dedicated people, and it's a lot to ask of somebody to run a game like that indefinitely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Ah, that was a fun game. The highlight was definitely killing Double A (Renly) and getting the blame pinned on you, Greyblades . That said, I think the sheer scale of it would probably overwhelm any single host - you'd really need at least two very dedicated people, and it's a lot to ask of somebody to run a game like that indefinitely.
    I thought that too, until I discovered the chapter house's Interactive History games and aparantly in "the good old days" of this forums they had loads of games like this running for years.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

If it's that easy, host it yourself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    If it's that easy, host it yourself.
    I didnt say it was easy, I just said it was doable, and I dont want to host it because I wouldnt be able to play it.

Buy Crusader Kings II. Download Game of Thrones mod. Play said mod for said game.

Blog Entries

Bought it, played it, game starts at roberts rebellion, Tywin died of age at 39, just not the same.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 10-11-2012 at 00:11.

I don't think you even have an idea of the workload those game's were for Beskie and myself, Greyblades. From what I've seen of the IH's, they are a different kettle of fish altogether, with each player controlling a faction. When each player controls a person acting within a faction, and all those character have separate orders the scope increases dramatically. That's not to say hosting an IH isn't a lot of work, by the way, just that the two can't really be compared. To give you an example, the last turn I did, with the battle at Whispering Sound, I spent virtually ten hours straight sitting at my computer doing the results, that's not even counting the night before when I did the actual calculations. Then when I ballsed up and people got upset, I flipped. My fault for taking on more than I could handle and letting down the players, who were a joy to work with most of the game.

So please don't describe it as "doable", belittling the efforts of Beskar and myself, when you really don't appear to have any idea what you are talking about. Not to sound melodramatic, but the org has never been the same for me since hosting it. I was disappointed with myself for not being able to keep it going, embarrassed at childish response to criticisms, annoyed that I fell out with members that I liked (though it's fine now), and frustrated at a lack of empathy for the effort I put in.

Blog Entries

I don't think you even have an idea of the workload those game's were for Beskie and myself, Greyblades. From what I've seen of the IH's, they are a different kettle of fish altogether, with each player controlling a faction. When each player controls a person acting within a faction, and all those character have separate orders the scope increases dramatically. That's not to say hosting an IH isn't a lot of work, by the way, just that the two can't really be compared. To give you an example, the last turn I did, with the battle at Whispering Sound, I spent virtually ten hours straight sitting at my computer doing the results, that's not even counting the night before when I did the actual calculations. Then when I ballsed up and people got upset, I flipped. My fault for taking on more than I could handle and letting down the players, who were a joy to work with most of the game.

So please don't describe it as "doable", belittling the efforts of Beskar and myself, when you really don't appear to have any idea what you are talking about. Not to sound melodramatic, but the org has never been the same for me since hosting it. I was disappointed with myself for not being able to keep it going, embarrassed at childish response to criticisms, annoyed that I fell out with members that I liked (though it's fine now), and frustrated at a lack of empathy for the effort I put in.
    1. Don't get defensive with me, it's unwarrented and my rebuttle is not worth the damage it would do to our aquaintance.
    2. It's doable because several people pulled it off in the Chapter House, Sofarsogood is doing it right now in the concert of europe game, they found a level of complexity that they could/can keep up with while keeping the game engaging, indicating that it is possible with a SOIAF game.
    3. I am not here to piss all over your GM skills. If you want to take another stab at it, Great! If someone else wants a go, Great! If a group of people want to do it together to spread the load, Great!
    I'm here to say that there is at least one person here who would like to play a game of thrones Interactive history style game. Dont jump down my throat over a percieved lack of grattitude.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 10-15-2012 at 15:24.

I wasn't expecting gratitude, anybody hosting any type of online forum game for the gratitude is not going to have a good experience. I'm jumping down your throat over an apparent lack of knowledge of the effort that actually goes in to such a thing. Perhaps I'm wrong, but again, from what I've seen the complexity of Concert of Europe, faction vs faction, does not come close to what the Game of Thrones game tried to achieve. Of course, if I'm wrong my apologies to the hosts of CoE, I'm not trying to take anything away from them. The failure of the first game was my fault, I was much too ambitious, even when Beskar tried to simplify some of the more unwieldy aspects it was a huge task, making it more even simple would not have been a real ASoIaF experience. Well, in my opinion anyway.

Ten hours? That's impressive. I can empathize, even if my output per hour isn't comparable.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post

What about your Ireland CK game or the two European murderfests Ibn hosted? How do they compare to your ASOIAF game?

The ASoIaF game was basically an expanded version of the CK game.