Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: National or European

Default National or European

Statement:

One cannot be [insert nationality here] without being European, rather [your nationality here] is how you are European.

For example, I'm Norwegian. I am a European. I cannot be just one of the two, I am Norwegian only as a specific form of European. An Englishman can never be just English, being English is his way of being a European.

Thoughts?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Default Re: National or European

There's this place called America... It's full of Swedes, Anglos, Norwegians, Dutchies. None of them are Europeans though.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    There's this place called America... It's full of Swedes, Anglos, Norwegians, Dutchies. None of them are Europeans though.
    Yeah... This is probably a rather dull thread for you yanks. Sorry 'bout that.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I am not European I am a Dutchie. The Netherlands lies in Europe that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Yeah... This is probably a rather dull thread for you yanks. Sorry 'bout that.
    No, not dull at all. I find the European preoccupation with their ethnic backgrounds rather interesting.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Member thankful for this post:

Hax 

No, not dull at all. I find the European preoccupation with their ethnic backgrounds rather interesting.
    They just happen to exist. America is a different place than Europe.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Europe is a continent, a geographic entity. It is not a mark of identity, for me anyway. Well, only in the sense that nations that are near each other are more likely to share some aspects of their culture. For example, I would share a lot of Christian heritage with a Polish person, that would be hard to find outside of Europe.

I also don't understand why a liberal lefty like HoreTore wants to identify as a European, isn't that just another man-made border? We are all just human beings, no?

Surely that is more of a political issue in American politics than it is in [most of] Europe?
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 10-19-2012 at 01:46.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Even within nations there are big differences, I can't understand the Frysian language they speak in the north of the Netherlands and the area's below the rivers that cross the Netherlands are really different, more like the Flemish. Europe is a very old place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfhylwyr View Post
    I also don't understand why a liberal lefty like HoreTore wants to identify as a European, isn't that just another man-made border? We are all just human beings, no?
    The argument isn't mine. It was made by the Norwegian foreign minister Espen Barth Eide in a lecture on European identity I attended on saturday.

Surely that is more of a political issue in American politics than it is in [most of] Europe?
    I'm not sure what you mean.

What does being a "European" mean?

This.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    What does being a "European" mean?
    That's what I wonder too...

I see myself as 100% Swedish and 100% Austrian. I act and even think differently depending on in which of my two home countries I reside in. I don't consider myself "European" though. It's not natural for me to, say, put Poland's well being before Brazil's. I don't feel more connected to Poland than I do Brazil, just because Poland is a neighbor and Brazil is way away.

Rhyf, however, had an excellent point.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

God put the English Channel there to remind us we are NOT European.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

If we resort to semantics - nationality is just a label indicating origin or identity.

In terms of origin I am English, British or European, based on the fact that England is a constituent part of the geographical assemblege that is the United Kingdom. The UK is located within Europe so ditto for that.

But I am also an Australian in terms of citizenship.

I beleive HoreTore was posing the question in terms of identity - but that is a fluid concept based on one's own identification and the views of those surrounding them. If you as an individual wish to identify as one or the other, it is irrelevant unless a sizeable number of others within a social context also accept that identification. If the majority of Norwegians identify themselves and their countrymen as Europeans then the Eide is strictly correct. Again though, he is merely stating is own views.

HoreTore: do you agree with Eide? More importantly, in your opinion do the majority of Norwegians?
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

What you see as "ethnic" divisions in the US are actual divisions here - case in point, farming co-operatives don't work well in the UK because the rain (although we could make them work better) and as a result British farming works differently to in France.

Europe is a continent, a geographic entity. It is not a mark of identity, for me anyway. Well, only in the sense that nations that are near each other are more likely to share some aspects of their culture. For example, I would share a lot of Christian heritage with a Polish person, that would be hard to find outside of Europe.

The idea of "Europeanness" is a political construct - just like the nation-state. Declaring Europe a superdentity is a way olitical statement - nothing more.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

The crucial feature of indirect democracy is the perception of representation, the collective trust in shared aims and expectations that allows the people to put their destiny in the hands of another, safe in the knowledge that even if ‘their’ man doesn’t get the job then the other guy will still be looking after their best interests.

The manner in which this trust is built is the knowledge that you and ‘he’ have a history of cooperation, and that your respective families likewise have a shared social and cultural history of cooperation, all of which allows you to trust that when adversity strikes ‘he’ will act in a predictable and acceptable way.

I simply do not recognise a sufficiently congruent set of aims and expectations to assent to being governed by the common will of the EU.*

Ergo, I recognise a British identity, and that our neighbours are european's of various flavours.

* This should not need saying, but; this does not mean that we should not strive towards harmonious cooperation and collaboration wherever a common viewpoint will bring a more effective outcome.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    What you see as "ethnic" divisions in the US are actual divisions here - case in point, farming co-operatives don't work well in the UK because the rain (although we could make them work better) and as a result British farming works differently to in France.

The idea of "Europeanness" is a political construct - just like the nation-state. Declaring Europe a superdentity is a way olitical statement - nothing more.

You have co-op's in the UK they just tend to look more like multinationals to continentals than co-ops.

this is a uk co-op with thousands of shareholder farmers, they have the same thing in France or Germany but they have co-op that share machinery or labour etc etc that you dont have.

The rain certainly plays a part in those not being usuable
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 10-19-2012 at 12:21.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    You have co-op's in the UK they just tend to look more like multinationals to continentals than co-ops.
    I was talking more about the sort of local co-ops where people share machinery etc - in the UK farmers complain that they can't do that because of the rain. Not quite true - but you can see the point after the famine rains we had this year (for those not aware, roughly 40-60% of British crops were ruined before harvesting this summer).

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Between different European countries I think the commonalities are more numerous than the differences.

English people might have more in common with Canadians and Australians than with Germans or French. But then again, all of these would fall under the umbrella of "western culture". A German or Frenchman would be able to integrate into Australian society fairly easily. Of course Australia doesn't count as European for obvious reasons.

I'm largely in agreement with Rhy's post, but if this is about the EU, I never saw cultural convergence as the most important reason. I would not object to Turkey's accession if and when they qualify.

Side note: I learned the other day that the Maltese language is Arabic. Imagine my surprise.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    I was talking more about the sort of local co-ops where people share machinery etc - in the UK farmers complain that they can't do that because of the rain. Not quite true - but you can see the point after the famine rains we had this year (for those not aware, roughly 40-60% of British crops were ruined before harvesting this summer).
    I edited my original post to reflect that yes i would agree with that.

on the rain you guys have no idea how bad a year it's being at all at all, we have people with there cattle in since the end of the summer and there are a few horror cases that I heard of anecdotally of june.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 10-19-2012 at 12:30.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Scribonius Curio View Post
    HoreTore: do you agree with Eide? More importantly, in your opinion do the majority of Norwegians?
    I am not sure, which is why I posted here to get more opinions. Eide further claimed that such an understanding was obvious in large parts of europe. He gave Italy as an example, and argued that it's unthinkable for an Italian to identify as Italian, but no European.

He further argued that a lot of Norwegians do not identify as Europeans, which he argued is impossible.

Lets try an ancient example; were Spartans and Athenians 'Greek'? Well not 'Greek' perhaps but they would have identified themselves as 'Hellenes' and shared many of the same festivals (Olympic games) and religious conceptions (both revered the Dephic Oracle). But that did not make a Spartan an Athenian or vice versa. They identified themselves with their own particlar type of Hellenism... what they called a polis. Yes they were both Hellenic but it did not make the the same; without a shared polis a shared politics is impossible. I am not Greek or Spanish or French and trying to make us all 'European' doesn't change the fact that identify myself as British.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    Between different European countries I think the commonalities are more numerous than the differences.

English people might have more in common with Canadians and Australians than with Germans or French. But then again, all of these would fall under the umbrella of "western culture". A German or Frenchman would be able to integrate into Australian society fairly easily. Of course Australia doesn't count as European for obvious reasons.

I'm largely in agreement with Rhy's post, but if this is about the EU, I never saw cultural convergence as the most important reason. I would not object to Turkey's accession if and when they qualify.

Side note: I learned the other day that the Maltese language is Arabic. Imagine my surprise.
    That implie that "European" is a purely geographic designator, though, because the Canadians and Australians have a culture which is about 90% European imports even more so than the Americans -Canada is actually more like Europe than the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I am not sure, which is why I posted here to get more opinions. Eide further claimed that such an understanding was obvious in large parts of europe. He gave Italy as an example, and argued that it's unthinkable for an Italian to identify as Italian, but no European.

He further argued that a lot of Norwegians do not identify as Europeans, which he argued is impossible.
    I think he's stretching the point - and Norway is a fairly bad example of "Europeanness" really - if Norway was more "European" is would likely look much more like the UK, which is really a Nordic country that got mugged by the mainland. If identity is a matter of self definition, and most Norwegians do not identify as European, then it follows that Norway is not really part of Europe.

Blog Entries

I think I am British, therefore I am.
    I do not think I am European, therefore I am not.

The only time there should be any other factor in consideration is determining legal citizenship.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I think I am British, therefore I am.
    I do not think I am European, therefore I am not.

The only time there should be any other factor in consideration is determining legal citizenship.
    And a quick test to see who has a British passport and who doesn't. Economic migrants can remain with indefinite leave to remain.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am a Homo Sapien which resides in a location called "Europe" on an off-coast landmass called "Britain". This is located on a planet called 'Earth' which orbits a star called 'Sol', which is located in the Milky Way galaxy cluster. I am as European as I am British as I am a Terran as I am Milkywayian.

Nothing more to it, really.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-19-2012 at 16:08.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    I am a Homo Sapien which resides in a location called "Europe" on an off-coast landmass called "Britain". This is located on a planet called 'Earth' which orbits a star called 'Sol', which is located in the Milky Way galaxy cluster. I am as European as I am British as I am a Terran as I am Milkywayian.

Nothing more to it, really.
    Not to you perhaps but europhiles don't see it like that. I do by the way. They are just like multiculti's, they have this sum that needs to be 100
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-19-2012 at 17:28.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean.
    The latino vote. The black vote. The Cuban vote. etc, etc. I'm not sure if there's still an Italian vote, Irish vote, German vote, etc.
    I've not seen the same behavior of naming and focusing, even with the larger and older immigrant waves in Sweden (that is people that can now vote), say Serb/Croats/Bosnians, Iranians and Irakians.

In a way, you're what Horetore is wanting Europe to be: US=Europe with subgroup=country.

I would say that Scandinavian is a stronger self-identification than European in Sweden.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    In a way, you're what Horetore is wanting Europe to be: US=Europe with subgroup=country.
    Is it impossible to post questions or arguments that interest you here, without everyone else assuming that it's your own opinion?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast