Thread: map icons - sally Q - custom battle packs ?

Question map icons - sally Q - custom battle packs ?

Hi I’m playing RTW on CD (upgraded it to version 1.5) – just starting first campaign. (I played the demo many years ago, so I know the basic mechanics.)

How do you make icons larger on the map ? (Spy/Assassin/Armies/etc) I have a really hard time seeing them on the map (color deficiency). I know there is a larger version of the icons cause in the Prologue when starting it new the icons are bigger. When I quit and play later the Prologue icons are back to normal size like they are in Campaign mode. (Also I know I can scroll through the agents tab, but that’s not efficient cause it goes through all the family members and I still can’t see other faction’s agents.)

When sallying forth I’ve read the tactic about using wardogs and horse archers to harass the enemy, but when I tried to sally forth by attacking the siegers then I withdrew and I lost the city. Should I not be attacking ? Is there another way to “sally forth” ? Or do I have to move troops back inside and wait out the 15 minute timer ?

I’ve looked around for a custom battle pack to download and so far I’ve not found any … I know I could create my own, but I think it’d be interesting to fight other people’s challenging custom battles that they created. Anyone know where I can find some ? Or willing to zip them and add them as an attachment ?

Thanks ~

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: map icons - sally Q - custom battle packs ?

Hi Whistlingleaf and welcome to the .org!

I'm not sure which icons you are referring to, perhaps you can post a screenshot? As a rule of thumb I'd advise you to reduce your screen resolution and everything will become enlarged.

Regarding sallies - if you sally and retreat the enemy wins. If they have siege equipment in their army, they automatically take the city. You can only harass armies who have no means of getting in after you retreat. If you have horse archers you can likely win a field battle versus most AI controlled armies.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!