Thread: If you suffer from crashes and you have a 64bit system, this may help.

Default If you suffer from crashes and you have a 64bit system, this may help.

Hello there chaps!

It's your friendly neighbourhood potatodude here with a public service announcement.

So you suffer from periodic crashing? Then read on!

RTW has been out for a number of years now and at the time it was only designed to be able to use a maximum of 2 gigs of ram as per the restrictions of windows XP and the 32 bit operating system therein.

With the highly modified and substantially more taxing use of custom scripts for EB, it uses a lot more ram. As a consequence, once we go over the 2 gig threshold... BAM. Crash.

The answer is to make EB "Large Address Aware".

This is what is required...

1. DL CFF Explorer from here http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php and install it.

2. Locate your EB executable.

3. Right click on your .exe file and select "Open with CFF Explorer" in the drop down box.

4. You should now be faced a screen with a selection of expandable headings down the left hand side and an info tab on the right.

5. From the left hand side of the expandable headings you need to select "File Header" under "Nt Headers"

6. You should now see a table with "Member, Machine, NumberOfSections" etc in the left hand column. What you want is "Characteristics"

7. On the very right hand side highlighted in blue will be a "click here"

8. Click it.

9. It will bring up a list of tick boxes. Look down the list until you find "App can handle >2gb address space"

10. Tick it. Press Okay and then go to File, save and exit.

Enjoy playing EB.

Like a BOSS.

Cheers.
    potatodude

Members thankful for this post (3):

Default Re: If you suffer from crashes and you have a 64bit system, this may help.

If you suffer from crashes and you have a 64bit system, Put this one fix and CTD after the battle will be lost.

http://rghost.ru/11424321

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: If you suffer from crashes and you have a 64bit system, this may help.

I can say that using my tweak as well as using Chernish's modified file has completely removed CTDs for my EB alex campaign. I've played for more than 200 years and EB is smoother and more delicious than creamy vanilla butter ice cream.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

I have tried these as well ad so far not a single CTD on RTW.exe!

Highly recommended!!!

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    I have tried these as well ad so far not a single CTD on RTW.exe!

Highly recommended!!!
    I really hoped this would help but I'm still plagued with CTD's

So what was the game doing when your game crashes? Can you describe the steps leading up to the crash as well as the nature of the crash? For example, is it a dumping back to desktop or a hard hang?

It won't let me overwrite the original .exe file, why?

edit: Never mind, I had to run it as an administrator.
    Last edited by The Computer Illiterate; 12-24-2012 at 15:08.

This fixed everything for me no pre or post battle crashing or just other random crashing, except crashing in the case of 'cities rebelling with a game field in them.' But that's OK because I know how to manage that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernish View Post
    If you suffer from crashes and you have a 64bit system, Put this one fix and CTD after the battle will be lost.
    Am I allowed to necro this post to say thank you?

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by potatodude View Post
    RTW has been out for a number of years now and at the time it was only designed to be able to use a maximum of 2 gigs of ram as per the restrictions of windows XP and the 32 bit operating system therein.
    Wasn’t Windows XP 32bit always able to use 4 GB of RAM?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Visadio View Post
    Am I allowed to necro this post to say thank you?
    Certainly. It's always good to thank useful posts.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Here is something that I found helped, running EB on one processor only, with affinity with cmd. In the shortcut of EB paste this (where it says target):

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "EB" /affinity 1 "C:\RTW\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -show_err -mod:eb -noalexander -ne -nm

-ne is no borders
    -nm is no movies

Of course, change the path to your alex exe. And you can change the icon too.
    Last edited by Visadio; 12-09-2017 at 09:47.