Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

SFSG may disappear,, popes may retire ...

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

Announcement:

To facilitate the bettering of relations with China, joint ownership of the British district of Hong Kong has been declared, both nations flags will be raised above the district and a representative of the chinese Emperor and British Crown will attend future local government meetings. This will not cause any real changes for the local laws currently being used but Britain hopes that it will be seen as a good will gesture to accompany a request of britain to negiociate over the matter of thier new opium laws.

HM Government.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

We graciously accept this well intended gesture and we invite the British Ambassador to discuss terms for our mutual benefit in the future.

Chinese Emperor

We do not sow.

I am still waiting for Kival to finish this round.
    My mailbox is filled and I fear that I will not have much time next week. I promise to do my best.

Do not hesitate to go on with your diplomacy!

Blog Entries

OOC: Hm... how to conduct diplomacy when I have no idea what everyone else thinks is worth talking about...

..."Hey France, that's a nice colonial empire you got there, shame if something was to happen to it."

Yeah, that works.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

the game is indeed kind of silent :S

We do not sow.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

How about we all go conquer the expansionist revolutionaries against whom the british were too weak to even defeat militias?

~ Basileus Othon
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Blog Entries

OOC: Eh, no thanks letting you lot take that chestnut would mean I'd have to share the land gained, or worse yet not get a piece at all.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-18-2013 at 17:08.

Well, one thing I still owe you is an answer about the north america agreement. Well, obviously, there is none. I suggest to discuss the future borders between the US, GB and Russia. I guess Mexico is out of the game.

There is still the affair about Denmark. And do not forget that next year is 1848 - historically the year of revolutions. Ireland, England, Hungary, the Balkans.

And remember the old wisdom "after war make alliances"

i hope you do not mean that usa gets ALL of mexico =_=

We do not sow.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I hope you mean the US gets none of Mexico. They have no claim to any of Mexico's lands.

~ Basileus Othon
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Blog Entries

They're fighting over Texas and the rebellion in California means they'll end up taking the historical USA territory if we do nothing.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Well, one thing I still owe you is an answer about the north america agreement.
    As far as Sankt-Peterburg is concerned, the matter was resolved and Russia will make sure it is respected.

Blog Entries

I dont think the Alaskan border was ever under dispute in this game.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

I should be able to write my orders until friday. Not sure if i can manage it earlier.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I dont think the Alaskan border was ever under dispute in this game.
    Do I really need to link all the treaties, leading to the Anglo-Russian Convention?

Blog Entries

...What has any of that got to do with British claims on the Oregon territories?

Nothing, in as much Britain doesn't have any, while the US were granted the rights by the Spanish Crown...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Nothing, in as much Britain doesn't have any, while the US were granted the rights by the Spanish Crown...
    ...so? The Spanish crown's claims are just as flimsy as mine, transferring theirs to the USA means as much as Greece's.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-19-2013 at 19:36.

The Vicar of God, granted them to Spain.

So today and me as myself, sure I agree. Then and in the game, completely different picture.

Blog Entries

The policy of Great Britain is and has always been that the vicar of god has no claim to anything but his chair.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-19-2013 at 19:51.

Looking at the dates, that papal bull, was before the Act of Supremacy. Also I'm not entirely sure, but the latter should all come down to ecclesiastical matters only and not legal.
    In any case, President Polk answered "Fifty-Four Forty or Fight!" and Russia recognizes the US rightful claims.

Blog Entries

OOC: Aww, cute, he thinks he matters. He's also a bit dense if he thinks he can intimidate me while his armies are a year away from finishing the Mexican war
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-20-2013 at 04:14.

Blog Entries

All right gents, I'm once again faced with an interesting situation, I want to set a minimum wage so my guys don't starve as easily over the coming years of famine, something you guys might also be thinking about, unfortunately with that comes the usual "business owners will go elswhere in search of cheap labour" problem everyone will be dealing with over the next few decades.

Now I dont want to lose jobs or industrial expertise to more profitable american/chinese/whoever's labour any more than you do so we can do what everyone else did when they finally caved to minimum wage historically: start giving tax cuts and other goodies to businessmen so they'll find it as profitable in our nation as anyone else's, or we could go with an idea that has been kicking about in my head the last few days: every player nation agrees to a world wide minimum wage and preassure the rest of the world into adopting it, say require them to be baned from doing buisness with us if they dont or something, with nowhere to get cheaper labour in places without a minimum wage we could improve our working class' quality of life (subsiquently making them less likely to rebel) and not have to worry about our middle classes outsourcing labour.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-25-2013 at 04:26.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Or, you know, it could do what it historically did, and push up inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    All right gents, I'm once again faced with an interesting situation, I want to set a minimum wage so my guys don't starve as easily over the coming years of famine, something you guys might also be thinking about, unfortunately with that comes the usual "business owners will go elswhere in search of cheap labour" problem everyone will be dealing with over the next few decades.

Now I dont want to lose jobs or industrial expertise to more profitable american/chinese/whoever's labour any more than you do so we can do what everyone else did when they finally caved to minimum wage historically: start giving tax cuts and other goodies to businessmen so they'll find it as profitable in our nation as anyone else's, or we could go with an idea that has been kicking about in my head the last few days: every player nation agrees to a world wide minimum wage and preassure the rest of the world into adopting it, say require them to be baned from doing buisness with us if they dont or something, with nowhere to get cheaper labour in places without a minimum wage we could improve our working class' quality of life (subsiquently making them less likely to rebel) and not have to worry about our middle classes outsourcing labour.

Thoughts?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Blog Entries

Please explain why that would be better, historically we are still dealing with this problem with no success due to said non minimum wage nations being uncooperative.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-25-2013 at 13:41.

Declaration of the President of the United States of America:

The occasion has been judged proper for asserting, as a principle in which the rights and interests of the United States are involved, that the American continents, by the free and independent condition which they have assumed and maintain, are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European powers.

We owe it, therefore, to candor and to the amicable relations existing between the United States and those powers to declare that we should consider any attempt on their part to extend their system to any portion of this hemisphere as dangerous to our peace and safety. With the existing colonies or dependencies of any European power we have not interfered and shall not interfere. But with the Governments who have declared their independence and maintained it, and whose independence we have, on great consideration and on just principles, acknowledged, we could not view any interposition for the purpose of oppressing them, or controlling in any other manner their destiny, by any European power in any other light than as the manifestation of an unfriendly disposition toward the United States.

Interview of James Polk:

We are taken by surprise and alienated by the latest announcings from Europe. Although we do not intend to interfere or comment the internal affairs of any European country, we must declare that neither our nor any other government of the United States of America will ever have the intention to support any communist ideas. We declare that we will neither introduce something similar as a minimum wage for workers nor will agree to such an international treaty.
    We will go on offering workers and businessmen endless opportunities.

Blog Entries

...dang it, I must remember to state when my posts are supposed to only go to the player countries.

Also polk needs to update his definition of communism.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-25-2013 at 14:10.

OOC: eh... were in 1847 there is no such thing as communism yet =_= marx just posted (yes posted, like on an online forum XD) his manifest but it is hardly something known to the great public i guess, nor seen as a threat to a nations such as 'Merica!
    Last edited by The Stranger; 02-25-2013 at 15:35.

We do not sow.

The United States of America comdemn each kind of socialism. Of course the United States Government knows everything about this socalled Communist Manifest. We will fight it, as it is in clear contrast to our idea of freedom, which we believe is given by God. Of course we know that other countries have governments which do not share the idea of freedom and these may be more attracked by these strange new ideas.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast