Your Eminences,

You may have known my father, Mohamed Ali, as a great statesman. A man who led Egypt to its stature that it is now.
Some may also have known defeat at the hands of my armies. As I step into my father’s shoes as statesman, I aspire to continue the progress towards the great Egyptian nation my father had envisioned.

However, in order to do so, I may have to undo some works and deals of the great Mohamed Ali. My father was ill these last few months. It is entirely possible that some negotiators have taken advantage of the fragile mental state that had befallen the great Mohamed Ali. As such I don’t feel bound by promises made these last months.
I am, if nothing else, both realistic and accommodating. Everyone can reestablish talks and present their case to me. I’ll reconfirm past agreements if I deign them fair at the time they were made.

Furthermore, I like to stress that Egypt can be considered a separate entity from the Ottoman Empire. I do not deny the close bond history, religion and demography has posed on us. I intend to continue to act with this special bond in mind. I will NOT, however, let it endanger or curtail the progress to a greater Egyptian Nation.

On another note, I welcome the new peace. War has always been a high risk low pay-off affair. The Concert of Europe has, so far, been successful at keeping European soil free of the ravages of war.But let us not be ignorant to the fact that war itself has continued. Only the battlefield has shifted elsewere. The fight for influence, resources and land has continued outside of Europe relentlessly. My country is one of those places war had shifted to. As if directing your hunger and rivalries elsewhere is a solution for the powder keg that Europe still is. I assure you, only withholding from trying to trump one another will ensure lasting peace and prosperity.

With highest regards,
Ibrahim Ali
Khedive of Egypt
Protector of Crete and Cyprus