Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

Intro

It is January 1847.

During the last years it became more and more evident that the Concert of Europe came to an end. Although the five Grand Powers came to an amicable arrangement in the Balkans affair, Great Britain soon played its own melody, which was guided by the trade interests in the Eastern Mediterranean. Other conflicts like the Schleswig-Holstein affair or the future of Italy kept unsolved. Nationalistic and social problems are ignored.
    So in 1847 the new order seems to be that England does not care any longer about what is going on on the continent and concentrates on her colonies and the oversea trade. The remaining four Grand Powers form the HOLY ALLIANCE to keep order on the continent and to free the Balkans from the heathens.
    The growth of the industries is still unbroken and so is population growth. Never before it was so simple to get rich. Investments in railroad companies fly high on the stock exchange market. On the other side, many artisans cannot keep up with the new speed of production and poverty spreads even faster than richness.
    The performance of this alliance against the Turks and their ally is amazingly poor. The war consumes an enormous amount of money and even the neutral states suffer from it. Furthermore the apparent incompetence of the governments and their staffs raises the unhappiness of their people. Many European countries saw a bad harvest in 1847 and the increase of the food price makes life harder for the poor.

Due to the investments in new industries and the war, it is getting harder to borow money, esp. for countries with high debts and small growth.
    The United Kingdom under the government of Queen Victoria is getting stronger year by year. It left the struggles about Ireland and India behind. England is the leader in technology, it has the biggest railroad net and its industrial production is beyond any comparison. Although many say that the quality of the new machined products is poor compared to the traditional goods, the prices are ridiculous low. English goods flood the markets of Europe and the world.
    Although England is in an excellent position, not all English are satisfied with the government. Part of the middle class is concerned about the isolation and fear that England will lose the European market. Others blame the Queen for the passive attitude in the Eastern Med. The war cut off important trade routes, esp. those for cotton. These let to an enormous increase in the price of American cotton. Several textile factories already released thousands of workers, the rest decreased wages. This, combined with the increase in food price, mobilizes political parties and unions. In December, more than 20,000 workers and their families gather at St. Peter's Filed near Manchester. They send a note to London demanding minimum wage, reduced price for food, the right to go on strike and changes in the voting right. The administration sends thousands of police and army forces, but it hesitates to attack. This upsets the contractors. They send a note to London demanding to arrest these bunches of criminals and threaten with forming their own securities.

France is the strongest power on the continent and in many things the antipode of England. If England has the biggest industrial production, France has the biggest market. And it does everything to improve in technology and industry. Due to the national railroad program Etoile de France the countries railroad net is growing faster than anywhere else. This gives trade and industry a kick. France produces almost as many steam engines as England these days and the textile industry is growing too. The owners of factories may not make as much profit as their English competitors, but working conditions and wages are much better. Paris is developing to the most shining and glamorous capitol of Europe.
    Although the government of King Louis-Philippe was very liberal and improved the living conditions a lot, it failed in the war against the Turks. Although almost 200,000 soldiers were sent to the orient, there is almost no progress. News about the latest battles decreased the popularity of the King and his ministers drastically. After the so-called “Spanish Wedding” affair and the scandal at the Netherlands about 50,000 demonstrated at Paris. The Royal Guard moved into the capitol to restore order, the protesters built barricades and it seemed as if there was once again a political bloodbath at Paris. However, Louis-Philippe decided to give in. He retired and before he left to his English exile he laid the power into the hands of the parliament. Within one week the national parliament passed a republican constitution – once again – and nominated Napoleon, a nephew of the former emperor, to become president of the Republic of France.

Prussia is ruled by King Friedrich Wilhelm. He does not fulfill the expectations of his subject. Many had hoped that after the liberation from Napoleon, Friedrich Wilhelm would unite Germany and lead the country into a new democratic era. The Schleswig-Holstein affair decreased his popularity and after his unsuccessful engagement in the war against the Turks the liberals blame him for sending the army into the wrong war and for being the servant of Austria. The new tax system and the railroad programs develop the industry, but the country is still far behind England and France.
    The government tries to protect the economy with import fees, but nevertheless cheap products from England and France threaten the existence of many artisans. The increase of food price makes this even worse.
    In December hundreds of Silesian weavers organize and assault factories to destroy the machines. They demand a stop of textile imports, lower food prices and to stop the building of new railroads.

Ferdinand, the ruler of Austria, moved the focus of is policy from the former Holy Roman Empire to the Balkans, where he wants to become heir of the Ottomans. However, this policy is not accepted by all Austrians. Basically, three groups oppose the policy of the Emperor. First of all, there is the German majority, which things that Austria has a holy mission to rule over Germany. Then there are the Hungarians, which fear that new provinces on the Balkans will decrease the already small influence of Hungary. And finally there are the liberal, which think that it is a waste of resources to try to conquer some undeveloped regions instead of modernizing the country. All three think that the failures of the campaigns are nothing but a just sentence by God.
    Although the government tried to support the development of the country, progress is slow. Cheap imports from England and rising food prices decrease the happiness of the people, although it is still quiet in the realm – with one exception: south of the Alps, the Italian subject of his majesty protest. They suffer most from the breakdown of the Mediterranean trade. They block the ports and the roads across the mountains.

The Russian Czar Nikolai Pavlovich Romanov is the ruler of 85 million subjects. This giant realm is hard to rule and even harder to develop. Although the Russian made some remarkable progress, the war against the Ottoman Empire discovers the weakness of the huge Russian army. Maybe the alliance with the Western European countries may help to accelerate the development.
    The Czar gives the Poles a lot of independency and so far this has avoided many problems. The Kremlin has to worry, however, about the growing influence of the English at Asia. Russian participation of the Black Sea trade and the Mediterranean trade broke down completely.

The Ottoman Empire is very isolated and there is little information. Of course, the war against almost all European countries is the main problem of the Sultan. He struggles for the survival of his realm. But even if this war is successful, he has still more than enough trouble. Egypt is demanding more and more parts of his realm and the trade across the Ottoman Empire is getting more and more unimportant and unprofitable. And the gap in technology compared to the Europeans is getting bigger.

Egypt managed to defeat the French hordes and this certainly boosts moral of the population. But Alexandria and most of the coast is still occupied by the Christians. If Egypt wins, it may raise to a new Great Power in the southwestern Med. If not, it may soon disappear.

Greece is more or less a puppet in the game of the Great Powers. The war against the Ottoman Empire may make the country grow drastically or it may destroy the nation. Unfortunately, Greece has little input on the outcome of the war.

China is the new superpower in the east, at least regarding size. But it may not be able to keep pace with the west.

The United States of America are a still rising star in the western hemisphere. Some say that it is going to be a future Great Power, but this is certainly a bit too optimistically. Right now it has to solve a couple of problems, first.

England has 27 million citizens (including Ireland, but not the other colonies), tax income is 123 million per year, the nation has a debt of 317 millions. The British Army is about 100,000 soldiers, the Royal Navy has about 120 warships all over the world.
    France has 35 million inhabitants and a tax income of about 124 million. The debt is 275 million. The army has about 600,000 men and the navy about 40 ships.
    Prussia has 15 million people. The income is 38 million and the debt 125 million. The army is about a quarter of a million and the navy has just a handful of ships.
    Austria has 32 million people, 78 million income and a national debt of 235 million. The army has about half a million soldiers and the navy has a dozen ships.
    Russia has 60 million people, with an income of 85 million and a debt of 195 million. The army has 600,000 men and the navy about half a dozen ships.
    Ottoman Empire has 11 million subjects, an income of 9 million and a treasure of 50 million. It has 150,000 soldiers and fleet of about 20 ships.
    Egypt has 3 million people and an income of 3 million. The treasure is still 20 million. The army is about 100,000 and the navy about a dozen ships.
    Greece has a population of 1 million. Income is 1.5 million and debt is 10 million. It has less than 50,000 soldiers and only a couple of ships.
    China has a population of 430 million. Income is 70 million and it does not have debts. The army has 2000000 soldiers and the fleet is not worth mentioning.
    USA have a population of about 17 million. The army has 150,000 men and the navy between 30 and 40 ships. Income is 30 million, debt 50 million.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 12-10-2012 at 17:42.

Default Re: LA BELLE EPOQUE (a sequel to the CONCERT OF EUROPE)

Player list:

England Greybaldes
    France Csargo
    Austria Prince Cobra
    Prussia Swordsmaster
    Russia Arjos
    Greece rickinator9
    Ottoman Empire Kival
    Egypt Peasant Phill
    China The Stranger
    United States of America Celtic Viking
    Last edited by Franconicus; 12-10-2012 at 18:12.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I still need to catch up with the last thread.
    Give me some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

this should make it more readable :P we start this weekend? (should be enough time to read up eheh)

i noticed that UK and France list as Tax income while the others just have income, does that mean that the UK and France have more income? or did you just not bother to write tax for the other nations?

England has 27 million citizens (including Ireland, but not the other colonies), tax income is 123 million per year, the nation has a debt of 317 millions. The British Army is about 100,000 soldiers, the Royal Navy has about 120 warships all over the world.

France has 35 million inhabitants and a tax income of about 124 million. The debt is 275 million. The army has about 600,000 men and the navy about 40 ships.

Prussia has 15 million people. The income is 38 million and the debt 125 million. The army is about a quarter of a million and the navy has just a handful of ships.

Austria has 32 million people, 78 million income and a national debt of 235 million. The army has about half a million soldiers and the navy has a dozen ships.

Russia has 60 million people, with an income of 85 million and a debt of 195 million. The army has 600,000 men and the navy about half a dozen ships.

Ottoman Empire has 11 million subjects, an income of 9 million and a treasure of 50 million. It has 150,000 soldiers and fleet of about 20 ships.

Egypt has 3 million people and an income of 3 million. The treasure is still 20 million. The army is about 100,000 and the navy about a dozen ships.

Greece has a population of 1 million. Income is 1.5 million and debt is 10 million. It has less than 50,000 soldiers and only a couple of ships.

China has a population of 430 million. Income is 70 million and it does not have debts. The army has 2,000,000 soldiers and the fleet is not worth mentioning.

USA have a population of about 17 million. The army has 150,000 men and the navy between 30 and 40 ships. Income is 30 million, debt 50 million.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 12-11-2012 at 16:14.

We do not sow.

You are right, income is income. Well, it is a kind of netincome = income of taxtes and customs minus cost for admin. From this you pay army, fleet, research, social programs etc.

You have all freedoms a real ruler has: change taxes, promote people, make treaties with other countries, declare war etc. But watch out, this is 19th century, there are papers and public opinion counts.

I suggest to have a diplomatic phase to discuss the relationship between the players and their nations until Christmas and then one week to send me your orders.
    All non-players-factions are controlled by me!
    Of course you can post every question and noncofidential stuff here.

I will send a pm to everybody asap, to tell him the real army and navy size.

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    But watch out, this is 19th century, there are papers and public opinion counts.
    not in china.

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

New map as of 1847, with the domains of Egypt separated (I think by the ceasefire with the Ottomans, it is now independent):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I hope this will help the new players ^^
    Last edited by Arjos; 12-14-2012 at 01:22.

(I hope it will help new hosts too)

Patuleia

Civil war breaks out at Portugal. Queen Maria asks the Concert of Europe for militaty help!

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    New map as of 1847, with the domains of Egypt separated (I think by the ceasefire with the Ottomans, it is now independent):

I hope this will help the new players ^^
    It certainly helped me. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

I thought Crete was Egyptian!

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

That would have been an even worse decision from the Sultan. He'd have no connection between west and east of it's empire left.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

(I hope it will help new hosts too)

Patuleia

Civil war breaks out at Portugal. Queen Maria asks the Concert of Europe for militaty help!
    maria vs miguel?

ps @Arjos can u put the pic in a spoiler? it takes me ages to scroll :P
    Last edited by The Stranger; 12-14-2012 at 00:45.

We do not sow.

Iirc, no allied (frech, greek, austrian or russian) forces ever "liberated" it and an egyptian fleet was simply spotted near it...
    Then a ceasefire was reached and it stated that the Sultan ceded the Levant...
    For example I know that I fought with those Egyptians, the following year, so I figured Crete remained part of the Ottoman lands...

Ofc I can change that asap, just let me know :)

Emperor TS of China invites all nations to start peaceful diplomatic relations. If no delegation of diplomats can be sent to China, then China will send diplomats to them if they wish.

We do not sow.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Emperor TS of China invites all nations to start peaceful diplomatic relations. If no delegation of diplomats can be sent to China, then China will send diplomats to them if they wish.
    I would like to send diplomats to the barbar-peaceful chinese tribesme-people, but I cannot afford to send them. I would like to ask the evil-kind emperor TS to either send compensation for their journey or send his own diplomats to Greece.

- King Otto of Greece
    Last edited by rickinator9; 12-14-2012 at 20:25.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

*Host, how do we know the cost of such things?

We do not sow.

Joyful news for Europe and Asia!

His Imperial Majesty, Czar Nikolai; His Imperial Majesty, Kaiser Ferdinand; His Imperial Majesty, Sultan ‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel and His Majesty, Basileus Othon have signed a peace treaty, ushering a new era of peace and prosperity for all!

Quote Originally Posted by Second Treaty of Edirne
    - Austria is granted and recognized possession of Bosnia, Serbia and Albania.
    - Russia is granted and recognized possession of Moldavia, Wallachia, Bulgaria and Armenia.
    - Greece is granted and recognized possession of Epirus, Thessaly, all the Aegean Islands and Northern Greece.
    - Ottomans, will maintain possession of Istanbul and the european adjacent territory.

- Muslims and Jews in the ceded territories, will be allowed to emigrate to Ottoman lands, if they wish so.
    - Christians (particularly Greeks and Armenians) in Anatolia, will be allowed to emigrate to their homeland regions in the christian empires, if they wish so.
    - All Prisoners of War will be exchanged, irregardless of their number.

- Austria and Russia will each pay 5 milion talers to the Sultan, as compensation for the lost territories.
    - Religious freedom must be granted in the ceded territories and in Ottoman lands.
    - In the Aegean Sea, free trade must be assured and no military vessels permitted.
    May God bless this newfound friendship and understanding!

His Imperial Majesty, Czar Nikolai, hopes that a peaceful negotiation between France and Egypt can be reached and offers the services of State Chancellor, Aleksandr Gorchakov, to help in any mediation.
    Last edited by Arjos; 12-15-2012 at 12:25.

i want to see the new map :D

We do not sow.

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

- Russia is granted and recognized possession of Moldavia, Wallachia, Bulgaria and Armenia.
    - Greece is granted and recognized possession of Epirus, Thessaly, all the Aegean Islands and Northern Greece.
    - Ottomans, will maintain possession of Istanbul and the european adjacent territory.

- Muslims and Jews in the ceded territories, will be allowed to emigrate to Ottoman lands, if they wish so.
    - Christians (particularly Greeks and Armenians) in Anatolia, will be allowed to emigrate to their homeland regions in the christian empires, if they wish so.

- Austria and Russia will each pay 5 milion talers to the Sultan, as compensation for the lost territories.
    - Religious freedom must be granted in the ceded territories and in Ottoman lands.
    - In the Aegean Sea, free trade must be assured and no military vessels permitted.
    The Austrian Empire welcomes the peaces treaty and hopes peace and stability will endure!

Prince Klemens von Metternich, Chancellor of Austria and servant of His Imperial Majesty Ferdinand von Habsburg

OOC: if Ferdinand is back then so should be Metternich. :P
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Austrian Empire welcomes the peaces treaty and hopes peace and stability will endure!

Prince Klemens von Metternich, Chancellor of Austria and servant of His Imperial Majesty Ferdinand von Habsburg

OOC: if Ferdinand is back then so should be Metternich. :P
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Let it be known that the current Sadrazam Mehmed Emin Rauf Pasha stepped down from his office of Grand Vizier because of his failures in the current Balkan crisis. Koca Mustafa Reşid Paşa will be called back from his post as ambassador in Paris and as the former Vizier of Foreign Affairs will be appointed the new Sadrazam to start a new era of Tanzimat and reformation. Mehmed Emin Aali Pasha will be called back from his post as ambassador in London to aid as the new Vizier of Foreign Affairs.

In the name of 'Ala Hazrat-i-Aqdas-i-Hümayun (His Sacred and Imperial Majesty) Sultan ‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel, Padishah and Hünkar-i Khanedan-i Âl-i Osman.

EDIT: PS: New ambassadors will be sent, just don't know their names (yet).
    Last edited by Kival; 12-15-2012 at 12:29.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Greece is very happy with the treaty. We wish to thank everybody who helped us in this war. May we liberate everyone from the Turk!

- Basileus Othon
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Blog Entries

Britain would like to see an actual map of the changes to the region this treaty's dictating, if only because there is quite a bit of contention in real life of the borders of the balkan states being mentioned.

Also on the new map: the area around the future Suez canal is British.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-15-2012 at 15:46.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Blog Entries

Hang on.
    France was going through this last turn:
    French Strike

While the French workers in the south are no longer 'revolutionary' as such their ports have been closed and shipping taken and a large part of the south has declared itself 'on strike'. Some civil disturbances have been reported and when the Foreign Legion has attempted to restore order barricades have been built. The leaders of the strike demand land redistribution, a Parliament and compensation for the losses of trade due to closed ports and some 'impressed' shipping. They are not anti King but anti his advisers who they think are making money at their expense.

Economics

It has been an unstable year for France in general. New taxes have decreased French exports (as they are now more expensive) and taxes on trade from non French colonies have cut imports (as they are now also more expensive). France is relying on it's domestic market to take up the slack but with shipping nearly extinct in the French Mediterranean and ports closed and the strike it has been unable to do so. The interest on debts has risen sharply since the news of the retreat from Homs was heard. In general France is regarded as a 'risky' investment.
    How did France go from this to making more money than me in a turn? Having a bigger market doesn't mean that it can not only shrug off but grow from a year of being cut off from naval trade and having half its workers on strike. And what happened to my 10 million investments in the industry and rail companies in Britain if it's not affected my income from last turn? It worked out the last two times I did it.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-15-2012 at 19:31.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

I put the input of investments in industry and research very low. Sorry for this, but the change of host leas always to losses, tried to minimize them. There had been only little strikes in the south of France and they ended before the new year started. France made some good business last year.
    England was affected by the lack of cotton. It has the biggest textile industry and depends on mass production. No cotton from Egypt and less and more expensive cotton from the USA is a problem.

I am amused to see that the big war ends as soon as real players take responsibility. Gives some hope for the world peace. However, I wonder where France and Egypt are going.

Blog Entries

Bah, the whole point of putting 40 odd ships in the med was to make sure that the cotton kept flowing,
    I am amused to see that the big war ends as soon as real players take responsibility. Gives some hope for the world peace. However, I wonder where France and Egypt are going.
    Well should everyone agree to that peace treaty they should really have no reason to keep fighting.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-15-2012 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Bah, the whole point of putting 40 odd ships in the med was to make sure that the cotton kept flowing,

Well should everyone agree to that peace treaty they should really have no reason to keep fighting.

Blog Entries

Gonna have to explain the smilie there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Also on the new map: the area around the future Suez canal is British.
    Egypt has no right to sell imperial land!

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    Egypt has no right to sell imperial land!
    Well then Sultan, get off your dicke Arsch and get that imperial land!

- Basileus Othon

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast