Thread: The Resistance!.....2?

Default The Resistance!.....2?

Well - my first attempt at hosting this mafia-style game seemed to go down pretty well, and I'd like to host it again. It's a non-mafia game but in actuality so similar that it feels more like a very convoluted variant and as such I should probably host it as if it were a mafia game.

It can be played with anything between 5 and 10 players, but I think less than 8 is probably not so much fun. I jumped straight into the forum to sign-up for the first game, with the mistaken notion that anything up to 8 players was a 'mini-game' and therefore didn't need to queue. But I see now that anything more than seven actually qualifies as a small game.

If I run this again, I'd want 8 - 10 players, so can a Mod confirm for me that I'd need to advertise future games of the Resistance as if they were Small Mafia games? eg. by requesting to host in the appropriate thread. I'm assuming so, otherwise it would feel a bit queue-jumpy y'know?

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Default Re: The Resistance!.....2?

Quote Originally Posted by LazyMcCrow View Post
    Well - my first attempt at hosting this mafia-style game seemed to go down pretty well, and I'd like to host it again. It's a non-mafia game but in actuality so similar that it feels more like a very convoluted variant and as such I should probably host it as if it were a mafia game.

It can be played with anything between 5 and 10 players, but I think less than 8 is probably not so much fun. I jumped straight into the forum to sign-up for the first game, with the mistaken notion that anything up to 8 players was a 'mini-game' and therefore didn't need to queue. But I see now that anything more than seven actually qualifies as a small game.

If I run this again, I'd want 8 - 10 players, so can a Mod confirm for me that I'd need to advertise future games of the Resistance as if they were Small Mafia games? eg. by requesting to host in the appropriate thread. I'm assuming so, otherwise it would feel a bit queue-jumpy y'know?
    If the maximum you can possibly have is 10 players, I'm honestly not worried about needing to put it on the queue. 10 players is basically still a mini game, even by mafia standards.

If we were talking 15 to 20 players, then I would say it should definitely go on the queue. But these games go by quickly enough (only 5 phases essentially) and are small enough that the Non-Mafia model works best, I think. So you could theoretically host them whenever you want, though I'd keep it to one instance running at a time.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

On a tangent, the limits for small and mini are arbitrarily low. Why not 10 and 20?

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

I support Zack on this matter

If you aren't aware of the stirling work the 'Shut Up & Sit DOwn' boys have been doing on behalf of Board Games for the last few years, then you should check out their archive of reviews and other assorted nonsense. Their initial review of The Resistance was what drew me to it in the first place, but this recent video sums up what I like about the game face to face :)

SU&SD presents: The Resistance: Avalon