Thread: okay Review!

pczone gave the game 83. They said some of the new units are just plain bad or unrealisitic for instance they said the crossbowmen were stupid and killed more friendlys than enemys. the thunder bombers were even more notorious in friendy deaths. they also that kensai sword master(the guy that fights buy himself and decimates other units), they said he seemed out of place and silly in a realisitc game such as this. they liked the ninjas though. also the computer is way smarter and can interpret your moves and find a way to defeat you, so no more stupid mistakes.

I think 83 is ok for an exp pack. But I have to find out for myself when it do come out. I know a thread will be started here rating the expack so let's wait....for the meantime...enjoy (or get bored?) the original STW.

------------------
    --RADAN(RONIN ashigaru)--
    A member of CLAN..what no CLAN??
    --RADAN--
    (The SAMURAI HERO Ashigaru)
    A member of CLAN..what no CLAN??

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Yes I really dislike hero admiration - that only appears in fairy tales and nasty authoritarianism textbooks Go to hell! Stupid Kensai! (not insulting anybody)

However, I guess human will always prevail The AI merely predicts our moves! How about we pretend to move right at first? hehe

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Heck, I don't understand my moves most of the time... Guess I'll have a HUGE advantage over an AI that tries to predict them....
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

As the game has been put back and reviewed, do u reckon EA are making some last minute add ons and improvements, if so good.

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Nope!

Game is finished. They're working on manuals and stuff now. Maybe some glitch has been spotted in the code that they are correcting now, but they certainly aren't adding any features at this stage.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

yeah, I can't see myself using the crossbowmen much, although I was a big favourite of guns it isn't really the same thing. The kensai, as I can understand, does not really fit in with battles involving thousands of men, and units like this seem more at home in 'point-and-click' strategy games like red alert. However, I always admire the way a Daimyo will stand up alone on the battlefield, so the kensai may be an entertaining novelty for a few days.

Crossbows are, effectively, early model guns without the morale-breaking bonus... Everything PC Zone said about them applies for guns just the same. Except that if the crossbowmen really kill friendlies, they will have corrected the one major glitch everyone keeps complaining about in the teppô. So the problem is?

The Kensai gripe might have been copy-pasted straight from here. It may be valid, but I wonder if PC Zone is in any position to complain about it, considering...

------------------
    "It is the absolute right of the State to supervise the formation of public opinion."
    - Joseph Goebbels
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Here y'all: a page from Vanya's discourse on defeating the Kensai...

The best way to beat 'em is to engage them with cav or shoot at 'em. But if you shoot at 'em, they will simply hop over your arrows. Thus it is best to use your arrows more productively on other units, unless, of course, you are facing Kensai exclusively. Then your waste becomes productive. I wouldnt recomment sanda bomas alone, for they will blow themselves up and rout away before the Kensai finishes his Ode to His Acheivements in Battle, which he must recite in full before drawing his katana and engaging the enemy. If you can get to him before he finishes, even a naked ashigaru armed solely with a wet pea will be able to kill him.

Heed my words and ye shall reap the whirlwinds of victory!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

I agree with Anssi, sounds like the crossbowmen will inflict the FF that guns should have. Hopefully they fixed the guns as well.

To me the big weakness Kensai will have is missile fire. Think of those Daimyo's you have surrounded by high honor YS who continue to kill despite the attack bonus yari have against cav. Now think about surrounding a similar warrior who is not vulnerable to yari. It's going to take alot of troops to take him in hth. Meanwhile unless he had an armor level of 10 an entire unit of sa should eventually be able to kill one Kensai.

------------------
    All your base are belong to us
    All your base are belong to us

Where exactly is this pczone? Is it a magazine, or a site?
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

I don't think the expansion is going to fix *anything* about guns. Guns aren't even in the expansion. If anything the next patch will be what fixes guns. And who knows when we'll get that.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
    Since time began
    the dead alone know peace.
    Life is but melting snow.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Well Im wondering about the crossbowmens power, in every other game I have ever goten the crossbow has been more poweful than the longbow. What about in The WE
    What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

Kensai's do sound crap!

Don't know if any of you read my earlier post about this review. It did throw up the interesting issue of how long it takes for a game to get to the shops after being completed. Do mags like PCZone review the finished version? Perhaps Erado knows?
    http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000704.html

BTW I heard that PC Gamer gave Mogul Invasion a whopping 95%!

------------------
    - Our girls fall for samurai and they'll go chasing after them.
    - If the bandits come they'll cut our heads off. We'll worry about the girls later.