Thread: TW:S2 Britannia mod?

Default TW:S2 Britannia mod?

Now here is an idea. There are obvious similarities between Japan and Britain. Tea being one of them... but that is irrelevant. The other is the islands the battles for power within them.

I have an idea - how about using the best features of S2 in a Britannia mod. The stylistic banners, the archaic map that needs revealing to see the topography... the battle to become BRETWALDER ("Britain Ruler") could be a format for the S2 platform which I think would work well.

I am well aware of mods using other platforms of the TW series centred in Britain. Has anyone attempted it with S2?

Blog Entries

Default Re: TW:S2 Britannia mod?

oh? you mean like being a cheiftan of an ancient celtic tribe in brittania and attempt to unite it under your banner? sounds cool

Ἐν τούτῳ γε μὴν νῆσοι μέγισται τυγχάνουσιν οὖσαι δύο, Βρεττανικαὶ λεγόμεναι, Ἀλβίων καὶ Ἰέρνη
    "the largest islands they reached were two, called the Bretannic isles, Albion and Iernē." - Aristotle

Here is an idea I feel like floating to see what people think. Perhaps it could be called ALBION: TOTAL WAR.

I don't know if any of you have read the Boudica Series of books by Manda Scott. I suspect some of you must have. Anyway, these books paint an enchanting picture of Britain before the Romans when it was a relatively isolated island dominated by a number of tribes but sharing a 'religious capital' at Mona...

Here is a map so you can familiarise yourselves with tribes given names by the Romans.

from what I have managed to work out (please advise) we have a factional maximum of about 22.... if so...

1. Island of the Druids (Mona) - a 'papacy' type faction - see further discussion below
    2. Catuvellauni
    3. Corieltauvi (Coritani)
    4. Iceni
    5. Trinobantes
    6. Durotriges
    7. Belgae/Atrebates/Regni (one "Belgic" faction)
    8. Ordovices
    9. Dumnonii
    10. Dubonni
    11. Silures
    12. Cornovii
    13. Brigantes
    14. Votadini
    15. Novantae
    16. Selgovae
    17. Damnonii
    18. Epidii
    19. Venicones
    20. Caledonii
    21. Julius Caesar (emergent faction)
    22. Claudius Caesar (emergent faction)

The Cantiaci, Demetiæ, Parisi, Deceangli and some of the smaller factions in 'scotland' would be minor factions... but this is just thinking aloud and needs consideration.

There are Welsh language versions of most of the names of these tribes (e.g. the Silures are ''Silwriad'', the Coritani are "Coraniaid", Iceni "Eceini", Ordovices, "Ordoficiaid" etc) in various sources which would give an air of Celtic authenticity. I would suggest using the names given in the Tysilio Chronicle (which has the original Celtic names) for the main characters (rather than Geoffrey's Latin), e.g. Afarwy instead of Mandubracius*, Gwydre instead of Togudumnos, Caradoc instead of Caractacus, Tegfan instead of Tasciovanus, Cynfelin instead of Cunobelinos etc. There are other names in the list of "legendary" 'Kings of the Britons', etc. As for settlements, I think their naming would be much like many of Brythonic names on our current map for IB-CB2.

I suggest this concept because it has not ever been done (at least to completion) in a TW Mod. Yes the Britons existed in RTW but as one people and one province, which was totally rubbish. In Europa Barbarorum they made a half-hearted attempt but it was within a European continent and so the diversity of Albion (Yr Ynys Wen) could never be realised. The inclusion of an enormous "Iceni" faction in R2TW is really pissing me off on a lot of levels, to be honest...

Further dimensions of this concept could be explored which would fit in quite well on the Shogun 2 platform, I think, in my naive and useless opinion....For example, the faction occupying Mona (Ynys Môn) could be the 'untouchable' Druid Faction which would not expand and behave rather like the Papacy (in M2TW) by issuing commands to build certain religious buildings, stop fighting, or join campaigns etc - as the Druids did - or face a form of excommunication. Perhaps faction leaders or kings could be summoned to go to Mona rather like factions in M2TW go on crusade, given free passage to the island until the "crusade" (e.g. the Fires of Beli Mawr or some other Druidic event from time to time) was finished.... the Kyoto province in Shogun 2 has special aspects which could be something similar to Mona...

Another dimension of this era would be "culture"... the conflict and cultural differences between the "Belgic"-type tribes who had invaded the south-east of Britain (the Belgae, Atrebates, Catuvellauni, Cantiaci) and their continuous war with the more ancient tribes of the "Pretannic" interior... such as the Iceni ("Eceini"), Durotriges, Dumnonii etc. We could really go to town on the naked 'Woad Warriors' etc. A distinction could be made within the Pretannic cultural group with some tribes adopting a "Dún Economy" and utilising giant Hill Forts (e.g. Durotriges, Votadini) and trading in cattle while others would prefer the "Tref Economy" and opt for villages, small forts and develop money... so there could be different building trees depending on the 'culture'.

"The interior portion of Britain is inhabited by those of whom they say that it is handed down by tradition that they were born in the island itself: the maritime portion by those who had passed over from the country of the Belgae for the purpose of plunder and making war." - Commentarii de Bello Gallico, Julius Caesar

Perhaps upon a certain date (e.g. 55BC) the Romans (led by Mr. Gaius Julius Caesar) would land in Kent (or near Portsmouth) and, rather like the Mongol Invasion in M2TW, would need to be dealt with by the Britons or paid off or all would be lost. This could be followed up in 43AD by the Claudian Invasion (like the Timurids)...

"On the beach stood the adverse array, a serried mass of arms and men, with women flitting between the ranks. In the style of Furies, in robes of deathly black and with dishevelled hair, they brandished their torches; while a circle of Druids, lifting their hands to heaven and showering imprecations, struck the troops with such an awe at the extraordinary spectacle that, as though their limbs were paralysed, they exposed their bodies to wounds without an attempt at movement. Then, reassured by their general, and inciting each other never to flinch before a band of females and fanatics, they charged behind the standards, cut down all who met them, and enveloped the enemy in his own flames." - Tacitus, Annals XIV (XXX)

I think this would be a very interesting project. I invite your views on this hypothetical proposition!

The coastline of Britain would need to be very much different, as it was, in the late 2nd Century BC. Perhaps the game could start during the time of Beli Mawr (c.100BC). The topography of Britain would be similar but the landscape utterly different, vast forests and impenetrable marshes.

The coast line

*Interestingly, the name "Mandubracius" is derived from "Du Bradwr" or "Mandubrad" which means "very black" or "very filthy" traitor. Doubtless this was the name the Gauls used for the exiled King of the Trinovantes when they introduced him to Caesar. Caesar had presumed this was his actual name and what Afarwy thought when he heard Caesar address him by this title can best be imagined!
    Last edited by Ceretic; 03-14-2013 at 18:50.

Blog Entries

we would need to utalise the official s2 total war modding tools if we would want to do this since modding warscape is way harder then rome 1/mediveal 2

We would need a amazing map... I am not familiar with these modding tools but have learnt my way around many of the txt files for M2TW. We need a team...

Some banners:

Last edited by Ceretic; 03-15-2013 at 08:02.

One problem I'd see with this is that the people of the british isles used a lot of shields until the late middle ages. No matter how great your models/textures* are going to be, I don't see any way to implement a reasonable shield mechanic...

*do the modding tools allow that btw?
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

I see... so the S2TW has no shields. Hmmmm Surely there is a way? Does this render S2TW a platform unsuitable for any modification save Medieval Japan and possibly the as-yet unreleased Skinheads: Total War (?)

Please enter solutions below ...
    Last edited by Ceretic; 03-22-2013 at 21:02.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceretic View Post
    We would need a amazing map... I am not familiar with these modding tools but have learnt my way around many of the txt files for M2TW. We need a team...

Some banners:

The top two banners are anachronistic. The first is Pictish and the second appears to be Hiberno-Saxon.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

British prefer black tea and Japanesee green one. Sorry for spam I need 3rd post to link to solve my problem