Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek Tragedy

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Re: Greek Tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    can we have a detailed map then? i looked but couldnt really find a good one, if anyone has can he share it?
    http://pelagios.dme.ait.ac.at/maps/greco-roman/ seems to be offline, but this one is good too: http://www.hipkiss.org/data/maps/j-m...6_2114_600.jpg
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i have exams coming up so i will kinda be unavailabe untill the 11th :S i hope it is not a big problem

We do not sow.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Member thankful for this post:

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    i have exams coming up so i will kinda be unavailabe untill the 11th :S i hope it is not a big problem
    No problem at all. It gives the others a lot of opportunities to work on the details of their battle plans.
    What is the exam about - Clausewitz?

locke and descartes and another one about emotions =_=

We do not sow.

French and English philosophers?

Science > Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Science > Philosophy
    you clearly have understood neither very well if you truly believe that :)

We do not sow.

Maybe the wrong place for such a discussion, although tought natural sciences were originally a sub-discipline of philosophy.

depends on what you call science ofcourse, but the study of nature etc was part of philosophy. they basically were indistinguishable. the ancienct philosophers untill renaissance basically studied everything. from maths, to physics to ethics but ofcourse its not science as practiced now although many phrases such as atoms, substances etc still remain.

We do not sow.

How are your exams going? When can we go on?

i have my last exam on the 11th. im sure i can get my orders in by the 15th. is that ok? sorry for the delay but these are really important, i need to pass them in order to graduate :P

We do not sow.

I see: For school we are learning, not for life.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately learning war tactics doesnt really pay the bills these days but if everyone went to higher education for purely the ability to make money, life would get boring fast.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-09-2013 at 11:04.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Of course you should go to school to improve your personality, your social skills etc. War tactics can be useful in social life as well as in business.

Back to topic:

1) If you make your orders, try to be as precise as possible. One example: If you write "My archers will build a first line and my spearmen a second one behind them" this will be execute as written. Taht means your archers will form one line, a very thin and long one. Better might be to place thim i one row with three elements depth.

2) Do not forget to tell me where you are. The enemy may try to attack the commander of the enemy - you!

Blog Entries

Um.. so I kinda forgot that I had an exam on wednesday, I thought it would be on friday and I would have enough time to do a plan and still have time to revise, so I'll have to do it afterwards, sorry for the delay.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

So are the Greek gentlemen finally ready to fight?

were ready to fry some persians

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    So are the Greek gentlemen finally ready to fight?
    Did you receive my PM?

Yes!

So rickinator and GB are missing!

Hmm, I didn't get one back. I can only assume Smyrna is traitorous aswell then.

Blog Entries

Missing no longer. Orders are in.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

My move is in as well - bring on the dead Persians. I'm off to polish my hoplon.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Fourth Chapter - First three months of year 25

- Northern Theatre

After the occupation of Paesus the Persian army under the command of Ottanes is quickly moving further towards the city of Lampasus, which Ottanes finds undefended, too. The Persians march further along the coast and are able to occupy Perkote without meeting Ionian resistance. Once again, all soldiers as well as the families, which support the rebellion, already left the city. The Persians move further to Abydos. They find the town defended, all wells around are poisoned. The Persians get ready to assault the city. From the surrounding hills bands of light infantry try to attack the Persian camps, but they are repelled by Persian cavalry patrols.

- Southern Theatre:

At Cyprus, Onesilos gets tired of the siege and tells his troops to prepare an assault. He sends a message to the defenders and asks them to surrender. Then his men get ready for combat. At the night before the battle two triremes manage to break out of the harbor of the city of Amathus and disappear in the darkness. When the next day break, Onesilos gives the signal to attack. Assault groups try to get over the walls with ladders, while another groups tries to break through the gate. Within an hour, the city walls are under control of the invaders. Most of the defenders throw away their arms and try to find shelter in one of the temples. Only a couple of soldiers make a last stand in the tower of Amathus. However, when they see the overwhelming number of enemies equipped with battery rams, they decide to lay down their arms and accept Onesilos as King of Amathus. He controls the whole island now. However, he has to find out that his enemy, the former King of Amathus, left the city before the assault.

- Central Theatre:

Early this year, Daurises leaves Cyme with about 25,000 men. He is heading south and soon reaches Smyrna, which he finds still loyal to the king. He decides to march along the coast to assault Klazomenai and Teos, but when he gets news that the army of the enemy is devastating the valley between Smyrna and Sardis, he decides to go straight into the main land of the enemy. Soon he arrives Ephesus and occupies the city. Here more news arrive, that a hostile fleet landed at the beaches of Smyrna, which was soon supported by the main army of the Ionian. I the meantime, Caria gathers her army at the sacred sites of Priene.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 05-27-2013 at 16:02.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Blog Entries

That went better than I expected. Might have to do something in case of a potential return of the king scenario, but so far I appear to be doing better than the historical Onesilos.

Now it is complete.

GB, yes, you did better! CVongratulation!!

KK, how do you want to bring death to Persians if you hide behind your walls?

While in the north and south there are clear frontiers, in the centre stranger and rickinator seem to do somekind of dance!!

While in the north and south there are clear frontiers, in the centre stranger and rickinator seem to do somekind of dance!!
    Stranger sure is strange...

He went North then? If he did that, then Miletos should be fairly badly defended.
    Last edited by rickinator9; 05-27-2013 at 19:32.

IF you surrender now I promise you no harm will come to you and your men, otherwise I can promise only death and shattered shields. And trust me, the bronze shield of the mighty Greek does not shatter easily, so make no mistake as to who will be dead and vanquished at the end when the battle is done and the sky mimics the red earth and will weep tears for the fallen.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 05-28-2013 at 15:23.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    btw i assume we are using the ancient shoreline as depicted on this map: http://www.hipkiss.org/data/maps/j-m...6_2114_600.jpg

because i noticed the other map (which is much more useful, i agree) has the modern shorelines.

We do not sow.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Now it is complete.

KK, how do you want to bring death to Persians if you hide behind your walls?

!
    As per normal, I am lulling them into false sense of security. These effeminate Persians will soon tire of the hot dusty plains of the Hellespont and skulk home to their fancy clothes and sweetmeats. For now, we watch and wait to see if they have the courage to face Greek blades.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast