Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek Tragedy

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Greek Tragedy

I N T R O D U C T I O N

Dareios the King, son of Hystaspes, Achaemenid, King of Kings of Persia, Pharaoh of Egypt, King of Babylonia, rules the greatest empire ever seen in history. It covers the provinces Across the sea, Akaufaka, Arabia, Arachosia, Aria, Armenia, Assyria, Babylonia, Bactria, Cappadocia, Caria, Chorasmia, Dahae, Drangiana, 1st Egyptian Satrapy, 2nd Egyptian Satrapy, Eber-Nari, Elam, Gandhara, Gedrosia, Hyrcania, Ionia, Hindush, Libya, Maka, Media, Parthia, Persia, Quadia, Saka, Sardis, Sattagydia, Skudra, Sogdia and Yehud. Hundreds of peoples and tribes in the civilized world owe their lives to Dareios the King. The King himself donates his subjects peace and welfare and he protects them from the barbarian tribes residing at the edges of the great empire.

At the far western border of the realm, at the great satrapy Sardis, there are living the subjects of the Ionian nation. They live at cities, ruled by Ionian lords, appointed as tyrants by the Satrap of Sardis, Artapherus. These cities live mainly from the trade with the Ionian cities in the west.

Sales are slow lately. The occupation of Egypt, the war against Scythians and the destruction of Sybaris at Italy cut off the Ionian cities from their trade partners. Discontent with the Persian rule grew.

About 40 years after the Persian conquest of Ionia, the stand-in Milesian tyrant Aristagoras found himself in this familiar predicament. Aristagoras's uncle Histiaeus had accompanied Darius on the Scythian campaign, and when offered a reward, had asked for part of the conquered Thracian territory. Although this was granted, Histiaeus's ambition alarmed Darius's advisors, and Histiaeus was thus further 'rewarded' by being compelled to remain in Susa as Darius's "Royal Table-Companion". Taking over from Histiaeus, Aristagoras was faced with bubbling discontent in Miletus. In the year 22, Aristagoras was approached by some exiles from Naxos, who asked him to take control of the island. Seeing an opportunity to strengthen his position in Miletus by conquering Naxos, Aristagoras approached the satrap of Lydia, Artaphernes, with a proposal. If Artaphernes provided an army, Aristagoras would conquer the island, thus extending the boundaries of the empire for Darius, and he would then give Artaphernes a share of the spoils to cover the cost of raising the army. Artaphernes agreed in principle, and asked Darius for permission to launch the expedition. Darius assented to this, and a force of 200 triremes was assembled in order to attack Naxos the following year.
    In the spring of the year 23, Artaphernes readied the Persian force, and placed his cousin Megabates in command. He then sent ships on to Miletus, where the Ionian troops levied by Aristagoras embarked, and the force then set sail for Naxos.

The expedition quickly descended into a debacle. Aristagoras fell out with Megabates on the journey towards Naxos. The Naxians were able to prepare properly for a siege, and the Persians arrived to a well-defended expedition. The Persians laid siege to the Naxians for four months, but eventually they and Aristagoras both ran out of money. The force therefore sailed despondently back to the mainland.

With the failure of his attempt to conquer Naxos, Aristagoras finds himself in dire straits; he is unable to repay Artaphernes, and has, moreover, alienated himself from the Persian royal family.

PLAYERS:

The Stranger - Aristogoras - Milet
    Kival - Pixodarus - Caria
    Greyblades - Onesilos - Cyprus
    King Kurt - Helespont

Arjos - Ottanes - son-in-law of Dareios
    Rickinator9 - Daurises - son-in-law of Dareios
    Last edited by Franconicus; 03-27-2013 at 19:31.

Members thankful for this post (2):

ArjosKival 

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Default Re: Greek Tragedy

Franc need anybody else?
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt View Post
    Franc need anybody else?
    I believe there's still a spot for a persian commander.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

So what has the Tyrranos of Miletos to say?

I'm sure the favored of Ahuramazda, Dârayavauš, Shahanshah, is very much interested in hearing from Aristagoras...

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt View Post
    Franc need anybody else?
    Want to play Perisa or Greek?

First Chapter - Year 23

A strong wind from the west drives waves and clouds against the beach. It is difficult to decide, where the sea ends and where the sky begins. On the opposite side the first light of day appears, but it is still uncertain if the daylight will overwhelm the darkness of the storm.
    At the camp south of Milet, Aristogoras, the tyrant of the city, has been walking up and down the beach, not taking notice of the wind or the clouds. But now as the daylight comes, he knows that he cannot ignore it. It is time to act now.

At night, he received news from his hometown and an agents brought him his money, all he has got. Now, he intends to use it right.

He sees the first hoplite stepping out of his tent, stretching and coughing. Aristogoras calls him and gives him the order to send all military leaders to his tent, immediately. The soldier looks surprised, but he is used to obey and soon the military leaders are gathered. Aristogoras looks into their faces. He sees Ionian hoplites, Crete slingers as well as Phoenician and Egyptian rowers. Most of them fight for money. And in this aspect as well as any other, the campaign has been a terrible failure. Aristogoras knows that the men haven't received their pay for a while and most likely, the satrap of Sardis won't be willing to pay the bills any longer. So Aristogoras makes them another offer, a risky one, indeed, much more dangerous than the expedition against Naxos, but also much more profitable. The men are taken by surprise, they hesitate and argue, but in the end they are overwhelmed by their greed. They welcome Aristogoras as their new commander.
    His first order is to arrest the other tyrants from Ionia, which had accompanied the campaign. Then he turns to Milet for the next act.

The city of Milet welcomes their tyrant. When he tells them that he is no longer following the orders of Dareios, people are scared first, but then they are applauding. Only Hecataeus the Historian argues against Arisotogoras. He tries to make people see that it is insane that a single city wants to fight an empire that covers almost the entire world. But Aristogoras' arguments and money convince the people and he is nominated as leader of the military council of Milet.

Members thankful for this post (2):

ArjosKival 

You all get more details sasp!

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

A message for the satrap of Sardis

I, Aristogoras, have set Milet free. We demand freedom for all the Greek, Karian and Thracian people you have enslaved beneath your tyrannical Persian rule. We do not wish to claim our freedom at the price of blood, but we shall fight until the death if needed, as all soldiers must. Accept our terms and we shall continue to live in peace and prosperity. Deny them to us and we shall take what is ours. You have until sunrise tomorrow to give us your answer.

Aristogoras.

We do not sow.

This is someting I cannot decide. I sent your beg to Dareios, King of the Kings.

Arthaphernes - Satrap of Sardis

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Want to play Perisa or Greek?
    Greek looks fun I will shine up my hoplon
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Blog Entries

Well, we're going to need a new king of Amathus shortly.
    This is said OOC of course.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Aristagoras, people throughout the empire are free: the most magnificent roads and the most efficient waystations system link the known world. Trade has never been better and all religious beliefs are welcomed and respected.
    Quit hiding behind masses, misguided by your poisonous demagoguery! Face the consequences of your failed campaign, prostrate to the champion of Ahuramazda and ask for his mercy...
    Your own actions are threatening the very peaceful coexistence, the Shahanshah has given to the four corners of the universe!

Utâna
    Last edited by Arjos; 03-27-2013 at 14:17.

I do not know what you call freedom, but I do not see why we should bow down to a king who sits on his throne with his fattened buttcheeks which threathen to crush the entire world he covets to sit upon. He does not speak our tongue, we have never laid eyes upon his majesty and I doubt the fool even know's where Ionia lies on a map. You have whipped us once before with your strength but you shall not take our honour. I will not take blame for a failure caused by your admiral. I owe you nothing but the tip of my spear. Come and get it if you want.

Aristagoras

We do not sow.

Everybody should have infos now. I am waiting for your moves!

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

A city built by Slaves, maintained by Slaves, taught by Slaves and defended by Slaves is a city destined to fall. Everyone knows what the future is, you can only delay it.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

That you refer to us as slaves only adds more authority to our claim. The Gods favor the Righteous!

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

A city built by Slaves, maintained by Slaves, taught by Slaves and defended by Slaves is a city destined to fall. Everyone knows what the future is, you can only delay it.
    ...Didnt your side just say we were free? Might want to get your message straight.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-28-2013 at 00:04.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

You are free, but the thousands of slaves you have are not.

I guess you all noticed that King Kurt now controls the Greek Cities of the Helespont

which cities are those?

We do not sow.

I think Sestos and the western coast of the Troad. If this foreigner ruling the area, who calls himself 'King Kurt', will follow your example, he will be dealt with the same way as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    ...Didnt your side just say we were free? Might want to get your message straight.
    That comment wasn't aimed at you, Yauna from Kypros.

~ Dahurisa
    Last edited by rickinator9; 03-29-2013 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    which cities are those?
    Dardanus, Abydos, Percote, Lampsacus and Paesus

I already received orders from Milet, Cyprus and the Persian commanders. Caria (Kival) and Hellespont (King Kurt) are missing.

Deadline is on Wednesday!

Nice holidays!!

Holidays?! There are no holidays in war!

~ Dahurisa

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Holidays?! There are no holidays in war!

~ Dahurisa
    So isn't it a holiday if the enemy lays finally on the ground?

but in that case war is over :P so hes right, no holidays in war

We do not sow.

I still hope there will be a peaceful solution for all problems

We would accept peace if the Yauna's submit peacefully.

~ Dahurisa

Blog Entries

There are... Will we use em? Ehhh...

So, what's the status on the orders?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast