Thread: Any Religion for any Faction, Ethnic System, Wonders & more! - Screens & download!

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Any Religion for any Faction, Ethnic System, Wonders & more! - Screens & download!

First off let me say that this version has been tested by other people to ensure it should work properly!

Anyway, this mod came about because I wanted to get back into M2TW, but vanilla didn't do it for me anymore, and I wasn't as enthusiastic about the major mods as I was for EB with Rome. So I started to make my own tweaks, and eventually it turned into a much bigger project.

In additon to the credits at the bottom, a very special thanks goes to Maximicus for very patiently helping me get this mod ready for public download. And I feel I should also mention the guys in the mod help section like irishron and Gigantus for helping me out so often.

The first release added a new campaign map with 190+ regions, with all the new settlements being as historically accurate as possible, and all settlements and regions in their local languages. In addition to this there were new features like Islamic Princesses, Royal Ladies, new buildings, a re-done unit stats system, the incorporation of Blood, Broads & Bastards v4.0, and various other features. You can see all that in the link below:

PREVIEW I - SCREENSHOTS OF MAP, ISLAMIC PRINCESSES, ROYAL LADIES, GRAND IMAMS ETC

As for the new features, you can see all these below:

Religion Conversion System:
    It took a bit of imagination to come up with a way to get this to work. Basically, I felt that the Total War games can be a bit rigid in your campaign map play. I like how in the Europa Universalis series there is a lot more freedom in switching religion. So, I have devised a system that allows any faction (minus obvious ones like the Papacy or Aztecs) to convert to any major religion - Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Sunni Islam or Shia Islam.

The script is based on new traits. Every General will get a trait saying which faith he adheres to. Ninety percent of the time a son will inherit his father's faith automatically upon coming of age. In cases where this does not happen, the faith they adopt will be influenced by things like the religious buildings in their settlement and the factions current religion.

And, if the faction leader has a personal faith different to that of the official faction religion, then for every turn he is faction leader, there is a 5% chance you will be offered the decision to convert. With my mod's current timescale that means it should on average happen after just 10 years of his reign.

I've tried to be fairly thorough with this. So say Egypt converts to Catholicism, they will no longer have Imam's, their religious agents will actually appear as Priests. The agents in the picture below are all the same Egyptian character Mahfouz, when I used the console to give him traits to demonstrate this. From left to right it shows Sunni or Shia Imam/Sunni or Shia Grand Imam/Catholic or Orthodox Priest/Catholic or Orthodox Bishop/Catholic Cardinal/Catholic AntiPope/Orthodox Patriarch:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Because of this new system, factions no longer just build their own religious buildings, but also those of the local populace. Furthermore, religious agents are now recruited from settlement upgrades (walls) rather than religious buildings, and religious buildings no longer convert people.

4 New Religions Added:
    Islam has been divided into the Sunni and Shia branches, with Sunni taking place of the old 'Islam' and Shia being the new entry. The other three are the Romuva, Tengri, and Jewish faiths. Egypt begins as a Shia faction, but the rest are really just there until I add the factions that will use them. Judaism is a bit different from the rest since only very small Jewish populations exist, and these are spread throughout the whole map. The advantage they give is that if a settlement has a 3% Jewish population, you can build the Synagogue which increased trade but reduced happiness.

And to make things more realistic, conversion is a lot tougher. There is no conversion effect from buildings (except a few wonders), and the effects of religious agents have been significantly reduced. Heretics and Witches in particular will appear more frequently, because they are fun! Below are the new religions' pips:

New Antipope Feature:
    Should a Catholic faction find itself excommunicated, then its Archbishop will be instituted as its own Pope, functioning as an Antipope in opposition to the Pope in Rome. He gains extra piety and personal security, as well as heresy immunity as a result of this trait.

Fatimid Ethnic Loyalty System:
    If you love Blood, Broads and Bastards style RPG elements, you'll love this. To represent the multicultural and often fractured nature of the Fatimid Calipate (in other words the Egyptians), their Generals will all receive a trait detailing their ethnic status, and this in turn affects their loyalty. Obviously it is a trait passed directly from father to son, although for characters who emerge from other means, theirs will be based on random chance. The royal family all begin as Berber, and the Berber trait grants +1 Loyalty. The Turk or Arab trait grants -1 Loyalty. Considering this mod uses BBB's loyalty system, this can have a significant impact. Below you can see a General with traits detailing his ethnicity and personal faith:

New Buildings and Wonders:

These are in addition to the Centre of Administation, Centre of Tradee, Royal Palace/Court and Highway buildings that were added in the first version.

Islamic Education Buildings - Maktab, Madrasa & Jami'ah represent a primary school, main school, and university respectively.
    Islamic Legal Schools - In Sunni regions, you can choose either a Hanafi or Maliki Court, while in Shia regions you can choose a Ja'fari Court.
    Christian Monasteries - Catholic factions can choose either Benedictine or Cistercian monasteries, while Orthodox factions build a plain old Monastery.
    Jewish Synagogues - As mentioned above, if a region is 3% Jewish, you can build a Synagogue and get a trade bonus at the cost of reduced happinness.
    8 Wonder Buildings - These all exist at the start of the game, and can be destroyed (but not rebuilt) for a fair bit of loot.

Slower City Growth:
    This is very significant in reducing the pace of the game, and making historically larger settlements of particular importance. In vanilla it I always found by halfway through the game, everwhere was either a Citadel or at least a Large City. So, the base farming level (which grants some income and 0.5% population growth per point) has been drastically reduced from anywhere between 3-10 in vanilla, to 0-3 in this. The population requirements for upgrading settlements has also been significantly increased, especially for the higher levels. You will now need a population of 50,000 to build a Huge City, so they will prove very rare with the above changes. A couple of other impactors on growth have also had their effect reduced.

Minor Changes:
    • start date moved from 1080 to 1073 AD
    • assassins better, especially against agents
    • bribery has much higher chance of working (its actually possible now!)
    • brigand spawn rate massively reduced, somewhat reduced for pirates
    • effects of devasation significantly increased
    • unrest effects of squalor, distance to capital, and religious unrest reduced
    • unrest from tax rate and blockades increased
    • governor's influence on happiness and growth reduced, but admin significantly increased
    • all tax income slightly reduced

Bugfixes/Tweaks:
    • characters live slightly less longer than my previous version (still longer than vanilla though)
    • princesses from age 16 (had been 18, for Generals it's still 14)
    • added Egyptian garisson to Logsor (aka Luxor)
    • mostly fixed the issue with Royal Ladies not having names
    • fixed issue where Ankyra and Sebastea were inaccesible
    • added Tokus' graphics for the BBB ancillaries
    • removed redundant local recruitment buildings

========== CREDITS ==========

Spurius' for his Big Map Mod
    Agart's for his City and Castle Strat Map Models
    Charge's for his Trees, Textures & Sea Mini-mod
    plasticfigurine's for his Early Generals Mod
    Lord Condormanius' for hisvEuropean Captain Strat Map Models
    Occhi Di Davide's for his Cog Warship Strat Map Model
    Dearmad, Pnutmaster & Tokus*Maximus' for their BBB Mod v4.0
    Maximicus for helping me solve problems in getting this ready for public download

========== PERMISSIONS ==========

Should not be a problem but please ask me first!

========== YOUR PLAYING PREFERENCES ==========

1. Unit Stats - If you want to use the vanilla unit stats system instead of my one, simply remove export_descr_unit.txt from the mod's data folder.

2. Timescale - This mod chances the timescale so that 1 turn = 6 months, whereas in vanilla 1 turn = 2 years. Obviously this affects things like how long it will take for the Mongols or New World events to happen. To change it back to the original, simply edit the timescale entry near the top of descr_strat.txt to read 2.0 instead of 0.5. If you have any difficulty with this ask me here.

========== DOWNLOAD ==========

The installation of this mod is very simple. I based it on the Barebones mod, so install that from here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1615

Then, download my mod...

http://rapidshare.com/files/283381103/data.7z

...and replace the Barebones mod data file with my one. And that's it, you can run my mod through the Barebones launcher without affecting the regular M2TW installation or any other mods you happen to have.

Enjoy, and any feedback is very welcome!
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 03-29-2013 at 20:19.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Default Re: Any Religion for any Faction, Ethnic System, Wonders & more! - Screens & download

Hello.

Your mod looks really nice in the previews. I can't get them working however. I started it, pressed grand campaign but once I selected my faction it went back to the single player menu. Custom battles work fine.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

Darth Feather
    Last edited by Darth Feather; 03-30-2013 at 10:57.
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.