Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Descriptions: Help the EBII Team

Default Re: Regional Descriptions: Help the EBII Team

Dear, The Gypsy

Both of these descriptions lack a strategy section, not sure if my version of EB is behind the curve (2.01 I think) or if it was saved for later. Once again I have rewritten a few sentences to improve clarity.
    If you look at this map you can see the dark green are missing sections and light green have all sections. So its about less than half of the descriptions that are in have missing sections such as the strategy. In Italy and Egypt they use the old format and i think they need to be rewritten to include The Society, People and Government.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eb2 provence descript.png 
Views:	534 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	15345

Member thankful for this post:

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Did the Saka Khotanese and Tocharians use the Kharoshti script?
    Their script was modelled after Brahmi, due to buddhist missionaries. However the surviving texts appeared much later than EB's timeframe, so probably in our centuries they still lacked a writing system. Inscriptions from India and Sogdia/Baktria were likely the product of locals serving the nomadic overlords. In fact both the Kushans and the Indo-Saka quickly adopted the local language...

I have not read too much on the kushans yet i guess they would have some history with Kangka in AD
    I think Kangka was useful to the Kushans as a buffer state, while from Kangka's prespective keeping good terms with them and the Han was vital for survival and trading...
    Also the displaced nomads were an enemy, which easily helped to unite these peoples, and of course forming alliances against either of the stronger powers attempting to establish hegemony...

Think for example Kangka fighting alongside the Han against the Hsiung-nu/Dzunha, btw interesting of that campaign is the possibility that Roman legionaries, captured at Carrhae, had managed to become mercenaries in Central Asia and fought for Zizhi in 36 BCE...
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-09-2015 at 19:05.

Dear, The Gypsy

If you look at this map you can see the dark green are missing sections and light green have all sections. So its about less than half of the descriptions that are in have missing sections such as the strategy. In Italy and Egypt they use the old format and i think they need to be rewritten to include The Society, People and Government.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eb2 provence descript.png 
Views:	534 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	15345
    Thanks for the clarification, I'll keep that map for reference. Would it be useful for me to add those strategy sections if they are missing? Or is that a task best left for later when everything is finalised? I'll keep doing the remaining provinces that need grammar checks. I believe there are three on the front page of the thread still to do.

I'm going to do a little bit of shameless self promotion here: check out my Sweboz AAR for EB2 (alas discontinued)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...irst-among-Men

Strategy sections generally address the gameplay prespective, so I think they can be written with no problems :)

I have taken a look at the remaining descriptions needing an edit (Areia, Oxeiana, Sogdiana and Baktria) and have reached a few conclusions.

The description for the province of Areia is a copy paste job unfortunately. As a result it is close to unreadable. I have made a start on rewriting it in a form that makes more sense, perhaps also adding few sections that were missing (namely Strategy, The People, Society and Government). The other descriptions are also in need of little work but I can probably resuscitate those ones. I'll try to get the ones in need of an edit done first and finish Areia at a later date.

I'm going to do a little bit of shameless self promotion here: check out my Sweboz AAR for EB2 (alas discontinued)

Members thankful for this post (2):

Oxeiana Edits

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Overview\n\nOxeiana is the south-eastern part of the historical Sogdiana, surrounded by mountains to the north, east and west, and by the mighty Oxus to the south. Oxeiana is a more mountainous land than nearby Baktria and Sogdiana, with fierce mountainous tribes in the periphery and savage nomadic tribes to the north.\n\nGeography\n\nOxeiana geographically speaking isn't anything more than the land on the northern bank of the Oxus River, with its southern bank forming the northern Baktrian border. Oxeiana’s northern border is formed by the Hissar Mountains, bounded to the west by another range of mountains, the Sogdian’s. To the east lies the fabled Hindu Kush, while the southern border is closed by the mighty of Oxus, of Alexander’s fame. Like its neighbour Baktria, Oxeiana is a land of contradictions: high mountains dominate the north, while abundant river valleys flow down from these high peaks. There was once a semi-arid zone between the Hissar Mountains and the Oxus River. Some mountain streams reached the river Oxus after leaving the Hissar Mountains, and had formed lush corridors through the steppe. When the farmers started to dig canals to irrigate fields, the waters disappeared from the arid zone and it changed into a desert. The area is riven by one major river to the south of the capital, Oskobora, the Oxus, coming from the north-east and passing through the entire province. Like Baktria, Oxeiana is a land of towns; most of these were located on the Oxus, like Oxeiana at the confluence of Oxus and Occhus. Many mountain tribes inhabit the circumference of the province, like the Maroukaioi to the north-east.\n\nHistory\n\nHistory of Oxeiana is tied to that of Baktria’s, due to their proximity. Little is known about the first civilizations of this area, except that the indigenous inhabitants of Oxeiana were prosperous before those of Baktria, due to the fertility of the area. However, later irrigation projects in the Bronze Age in Baktria resulted in it eclipsing the fertility of the lower river valley in Oxeiana. At this point Oxeiana became no more than a part of Baktria, and its history becomes amalgamated with that of Baktria’s. Assyrian kings Ninus and Seramis are supposed to have conquered it along with Baktria against the Bactrian king Oxyartes but this is likely myth. However it seems, reading through the lines of holy text of the Avesta, that an independent state had risen around Baktria-Zariaspa, including Oxeiana, where Zoroaster would have taken safety. \n\nWhat is sure, is that during Cyrus the Great’s campaign against Massagetai, he incorporated Baktria, Sogdiana and Oxeiana into the Achaemenid Empire. However, Baktria-Oxeiana was a rebellious area which created some difficulties for the Achaemenid state: for example in 462 BC Artaxerxes I annihilated a Baktrian revolt instigated by his own brother. When Alexander the Great began to conquer the Achaemenid state, the Baktrian satrap Bessos murdered King Darios, in July 330 BC, who had fled to Hecatombopylos after his defeat at Gaugamela. Bessos then attempted to make a new kingdom with Baktria as its heart, also taking control of Oxeiana, taking the name of Artaxerxes. Alexander came to Baktria in shortly after, vanquishing Bessos in 329 BC and taking a year to pacify the region, putting in place Artabzos as a satrap. Oxeiana created a number of difficulties for the Makedonian king, who spent the spring of 328 BC subduing tribes and towns under the control of the rebellious satrap Spitamenes, and fighting the Eastern Sakas. Alexander the Great is said to have founded several towns both in Baktria, Sogdiana and Oxeiana, but it's difficult to tell where these were located or even if they were a foundation or a re-foundation.\n\nUpon the death of Alexander, Sogdiana bore the brunt of the conflicts between the Diadochoi. After the early years of the conflict of the Diadochoi, Oxeiana was subdued by the Seleucid dynasty.\n\nBy 272 BC Oxeiana was under the power of Seleucid dynasty. Far from the administrative heartland of the empire, imperial power was weak, creating a region riven with disorder and banditry. Weakening of imperial authority resulted in Diodotos' revolt of 250 BC, leading to a new Greco-Baktrian kingdom. Baktria became a dominant power in the region, extending its influence all the way to India, resulting in a unique local fusion of Indian, Greek and Persian culture. Oxeiana remained part of the Baktrian Empire until 140 BC, when the Yuezhei took several towns in the area and sacked Eucratidia, the former Oskobora. The influence of nomadic tribes increased over time, resulting in the region becoming known as Tocharistan and marking the end of the Baktrian Empire. \n\nStrategy\n\n A wise leader would aim to control both Oxieiana and Baktria, as both straddle valuable trade routes and possess rich and fertile soils. Control of one province will likely result in dominance of the other, providing a rich heartland for further conquest…

Just for reference, this lacks a People/Government section. Everything else is present, however.
    Last edited by The Gypsy; 05-11-2015 at 13:47.

Arjos 

I can bring some writers/amateurs writers to work their magic on some traveler logs but first I really think the OP should be updated and better organized. And a similar complete and updated thread should be stickied to TWC as well.

Baktria Edits

Overview\n\nBaktria, also known as Bahlikâ by Indian sources and Daxia by Han writers, is the area surrounded by the Oxus River to the north, the Hindu-Kush to the east and arid deserts of Aria to the west.Baktria is a dry and arid province in west as you exit the deserts of Aria, before rapidly becoming a lush paradise as you approach the Oxus and the foothills of the Hindu-Kush. Baktria is a rich province coveted and desired by many, who may seek to add it to their own empires.\n\nGeography\n\nBaktria is hemmed in by the great mountains of Hindu-Kush to the east, forming an almost impenetrable wall. The Oxus River originates in the Hindu-Kush before flowing westwards, forming the northern boundary of the province before turning north towards the Aral Sea. Its western boundary is less clear fading away somewhere in the deserts of Aria beyond the Andkhoi River. The most productive part of Baktria is the river plain carved out by the Oxus, one of Central Asia’s great rivers, which provides both nutrients and water to an otherwise barren landscape. To the east lays lies another river, the Ochus, which joins the Oxus in the centre of Baktria, before hurrying towards the Aral Sea. Quintus Curtius’s histories of Alexander speak of trees and vineyards’ carpeting riverine areas of Baktria. The wealth and richness of Baktria is a welcome balm to weary travellers after passing through the deserts of Aria. The Oxus is a hasty river, speedily running from the foothills of the Hindu-Kush on its path towards the Aral Sea. As a result, it fails to irrigate Baktria to any great extent. However, large scale irrigation projects to divert and slow the river’s flow in the early years of Baktria’s history have resulted in a rich and fertile land beyond measure. \n\nBaktria is a land of towns, "The thousand Baktrian towns" quoting Justin (XLI 4, 5). The most important one is Baktra, also called Zariaspa in earliest times, which is located by a river of the same name, laying in the south of the province. Most of these towns are located near the Oxus and its tributaries: Antiocheia Tarmita/Alexandria Oxeiana, Pandokheion, Oskobora/Eucratidia lie at the joining of the Ochus and the Dargoďdos. \n\nHistory\n\nWe know little about the first Bronze Age civilization of Baktria, except that they created a complex system of irrigation which is at the heart of its wealth. Assyrian kings Ninus and Seramis are supposed to have conquered Baktria deafeating the Bactrian king Oxyartes but this likely a Persian myth. It seems however, reading through the lines of holy text of the Avesta, that an independent state existed around Baktria-Zariaspa, where Zoroaster would have taken safety. \n\nWhat is sure is that Cyrus the Great, during his campaign against Massagetai, incorporated Baktria under his rule, making it the 12th satrapy of the Persian Empire. Baktria was far from the centre of the Persian Empire, making to more likely to harbour rebels and enemies of the state: in 462 BC Artaxerxes I annihilated a revolt in Baktria instigated by his own brother. When Alexander the Great began to conquer the Achemenid state, the Baktrian satrap Bessos killed King Darios, in July 330 BC, who had fled to Hecatombopylos after his defeat at Gaugamela. Bessos then attempted to make a new kingdom with Baktria at its centre, taking the name of Artaxerxes. Alexander. Alexander proceeded to defeat Bessos and take cobtrol of Baktria, taking a year to subdue the querulous population. Alexander is said to have founded several towns in Baktria and Sogdiana, but it is difficult to tell where these were located as they have vanished long before times.\n\Upon the death of Alexander, Baktria was hotly contested by the Diadochoi. Baktria was finally subdued by the Seleucid dynasty, and Antiochos I renamed a number of towns, like Alexandreia Oxeiana in Antiochia Tarmita. \n\nBy 272 BC Baktria was under the power of Seleucid dynasty. However, far from the administrative heartland of the Seleucid Empire in Syria, lawlessness became the norm as northern tribes from the steppes encroached upon Baktrian territory. The weakness of the central administration and the resultant pressure of nomads from the north lead to Diodotos' revolt of 250 BC, leading to a new Greco-Baktrian kingdom centred in Baktra. Baktria rapidly expanded east to India, resulting in a unique mix of Persian, Greek and Indian influences. The province of Baktria remained independent until 128 BC, when the Yuezhei took it from the last Greco-Baktrian king, Heliocles, renaming it Tocharistan.\n\nStrategy\n\nBaktria is arguably the important province in the Greek far-east, having rich fields and straddling trade routes to India. It can also provide a wide variety of colonial Greek troops and native Persian and Indian auxiliaries to an ambitious warlord, looking to add more provinces to their empire.

People and Society is missing, otherwise it is complete.

ArjosTux 

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    I can bring some writers/amateurs writers to work their magic on some traveler logs but first I really think the OP should be updated and better organized. And a similar complete and updated thread should be stickied to TWC as well.
    How would you suggest it be rearranged?

Also I have edited to title post to include the formatting we use internally. If everyone could try to use that for future descriptions that would be lovely and save us some menial formatting work.

Also Gypsy I have put in your Baktria and Oxeiana edits as well as the previous ones done for Kottinon and Silengolandum(sp?). I corrected a few minor spelling errors but overall very good thank you. I also went ahead a wrote a very small and basic Strategy section for Silengolandum.

"To the talented warlord who can bring these lands under his command, and manage to hold onto them, there is much wealth to be had from the trade that follows the amber route. However, that may be a challenging venture given the nature of the local tribes..."

Feel free to write something better it just seemed an easy filler for now.
    Last edited by joshmahurin; 05-15-2015 at 21:26.

Please check Chaldeans, Sargon of Akkad as an Assyrian ruler and the actual location of "Babylon's" Hanging Gardens not in Babylon after all.
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Quote Originally Posted by kdrakak View Post
    Please check Chaldeans, Sargon of Akkad as an Assyrian ruler and the actual location of "Babylon's" Hanging Gardens not in Babylon after all.
    I'll take a look at that, I confess I don't really know much about that area at all. I just assumed whatever had been written was correct. But thank you for telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    I'll take a look at that, I confess I don't really know much about that area at all. I just assumed whatever had been written was correct. But thank you for telling me.
    I would suggest "A History of the Ancient Near East ca. 3000 - 323 BC" by Marc Van De Mieroop, if you are interested in an a general approach.
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdrakak View Post
    I would suggest "A History of the Ancient Near East ca. 3000 - 323 BC" by Marc Van De Mieroop, if you are interested in an a general approach.
    Yes that's a great introduction to the Ancient Near East. He also presents historical documents and sources in every chapter which is something I really like.

I finished fixing/rewriting Sogdiana, mostly rewriting unfortunately.

Sogdiana Edits

<h>Overview</h><p>Sodiana is bounded by rivers on two sides, by the Iaxartes River to the north and by the Oxus River to the south. The Iaxartes was the northern border of both Alexander’s Empire and that of the earlier Persian Empire, marking the shift from sedentary farming to pastoral herding. The eastern border of Sogdiana is the Pamir Mountains, part of the greater Hindu-Kush. The western border fades away somewhere in the Kyzyl Kum desert, where little can survive and nothing can thrive.</p><h>Geography</h><p>Sogdiana is bounded north and south respectively by the Iaxartes and Oxus, two great rivers that both flow across the empty desert to the north-west towards the Aral Sea. Its limits east and west are more difficult to determine, given that the toponym "Sogdiana" covered different areas according to the period. At times the province extended east to include Oxeiana within its borders; in other cases, the Pamir Mountains and the beginnings of the Ferghana Valley defined the eastern extent of Sogdiana. Within EB, however, the Pamir Mountains represent the border between Oxieana and Sogdiana. The western border of Sogdiana was once ill-defined but recent damming projects by Soviet engineers created Aydar Lake which marks the western border of modern-day Sogdiana.</p><p>The province is riven by another major river, today called the Zeravshan River but known to the Greeks as the Polytimetos River. The capital of Sogdiana, Marakanda lies beside the Zeravshan River which then flows west to join the Oxus on its path to the sea. Marakanda is known today as Samarkand, a major city in modern Uzbekistan.</p> <p>Sogdiana is landlocked, resulting in low precipitation year-round and extreme temperature variation throughout diurnal and seasonal cycles. This results in a sparsely vegetated province with what vegetation there is growing adjacent to its rivers. But extensive irrigation of its major rivers has produced significant areas of arable land that is rich in nutrients due to its loess soils. </p><h>History</h><p>Little is known of Sogdiana’s history before the Iron Age when an Iranian people called the “Sogdians” arrived to give the province its name, inhabiting an already somewhat urbanised society. The Persian Empire conquered Sogdiana during the reign of Cyrus the Great in 540 BCE, creating Marakanda as a centre of influence in the province. The region was not administered as a separate satrapy, instead being controlled from Baktria. The region was sometimes administered by second-born sons of the Great King, as a bribe to quieten their ambitions. The last man to rule Baktria and Sogdiana as a Persian satrap was Bessos, a relative of Darius III. </p> <p>Bessos ruled Baktria and Sogdiana until the fall of the Persian Empire in 329 BCE, when Darius III fled to Baktria after his defeat at Gaugamela by Alexander the Great, only to be executed by Bessos. The former Persian satrap wasted no time in declaring himself King of Baktria and set out to defeat Alexander. He failed and was killed in the process, leaving Alexander as the ruler of Baktria, Sogdiana and Oxieana. Alexander then proceeded to found a series of cities all bearing his name, before turning his attention to India. After Alexander’s return to the west and his untimely death, Sogdiana became a battleground for rival Diadochoi, eventually becoming part of the Seleucid Empire.</p><p>By 272 BCE Sogdiana was part of the Seleucid Empire, but remained distant from affairs in the west. Constant incursions by nomadic tribes from the north and little or no response from the Seleucids prompted the satrap in the east, Diodotos, to declare independence in 248 BCE, resulting in the creation of the Greco-Baktrian kingdom. Baktria remained independent for almost a century, creating a dynamic fusion of Indian, Greek and Persian culture before being subjugated by the nomadic Yuezhei. The Yuezhei became the rulers of Sogdiana, Oxienana, Baktria and parts of north-western India and created the Kushan Empire, which collapsed in the 3rd century CE. </p><h>Strategy</h><p>Sogdiana lies at the interface between settled and nomadic cultures, providing both settled Greek troops, Iranian levies and wild nomadic horsemen from the steppe. The rich soils and trade from the east will provide the taxes needed to sustain such troops and perhaps build an empire to stretch across all of central Asia. </p>

I used the new html format in this description. I also went back and fixed the Babylonia and Mesopotamia descriptions, fixing any errors, historical or otherwise and adding html tags. I'll try and finish Areia sometime this week, when I get around to it.
    Last edited by The Gypsy; 05-18-2015 at 04:03.

so besides Greece all the Balkan regions are description free?

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    so besides Greece all the Balkan regions are description free?
    No, I'm still working on the one for the Odrysai, although it'll likely take at least a few weeks more before I'll be able to post anything here (exams and all that). Most of the balkans is still up for grabs AFAIK though. I'd recommend checking the most recent map Chap has provided to get a clearer picture.
    Last edited by Adalingum; 05-17-2015 at 20:45.

What sections are missing for todays Romanian teritory regions: Getia , Getia Koile, Mikra Schitia? What about that lonely province in Asia Minor- Paphlagonia (Sinope). Is still decription-free?
    Last edited by Kranos; 05-17-2015 at 21:25.

Just a reminder that "Overview" as a section has been replaced with "Traveller's Log".

Traveller's Log
    Geography
    People, Society, and Government
    History
    Strategy

That being said there are still several in older formats that need rewriting for anyone that wants to.

Also Gyspy I have added your edits to Mesopotamia, Babylonia, and Sogdiana. Thank you :)
    Last edited by joshmahurin; 05-18-2015 at 20:41.

Description of Venetia is coming...brace yourselves

@DurinElminpietra you should not consider that Ive wanted to hurry you. I just asked at TWC if you are still working at it since I might bring some peoples to write some of descriptions.

I am looking for a bit of feedback on this Travellers Log for Areia. I am not too sure on some of the details, mainly those concerning the people and religion of the province. Otherwise its okay I think.

Travellers Log

The traveler rests his weary feet as he enters the valley of the Arieos River after a long journey into the rising Sun. The seemingly endless deserts of Persia have come to end as the Hindu-Kush becomes visible at last. The waters of the Areios River provide the only nourishment this valley needs, creating rich fields and vineyards. But its softening influence does not extend far from the valley floor, leaving those who live in the mountains to the east, the highland plateau to the north and few nomads in the desert to the west jealous of its riches. The deserts of the west are starved of water, while the high peaks of Hindu-Kush hoard water on their high peaks during their harsh winters. Areia’s only great town, established by Alexander, Alexandria-Areios lies on the Areios River. The “Shining Ones”, the Arya of the Iranian steppe are the most numerous people in this region, together with newly arrived Greek settlers and various mountain tribes. On the hills, birds can be seen circling over so-called “Sky Burials”, where the dead are laid out to be consumed by birds of prey. The God of Zoroaster, Ahura Mazda, presides over these hills and valleys, where a harsh land breeds a harsher people, ready for war.

@paullus @Arjos @abou @DeathFinger One of these people should be able to help with those questions. But history aside I'd say it reads very well :) Thanks for your continued work!

It's all correct, Areia and Ariana were Hellenic transcription of Arya and Aryana, the former being a term denoting people, following a common religion...

Specifically for those in that general area, after the reforms by Zarathushtra, that very burial practice developed...

Can read more about it by searching "Dakhma" :)

Here's the next bit of the province description, geography and society. Again feedback is appreciated. I'll try and get the whole thing finished by midweek (fingers crossed) and post it up with html tags. I'll put the entire description in one post so nobody has to run around to find it all.

Geography
    The province of Areia split into two main regions, gradually shifting between them as one travels east to west. The east of Areia is composed of the mountains and foothills of the Hindu-Kush, with steep valleys and craggy hills. As one travels west away from the mountains, the land becomes increasingly arid as one enters the Kara-Kum desert. The temperatures across the province vary in relation to altitude, but can reach 45 degrees Celsius in summer before falling to below freezing during winter. The precipitation in the province is low, but becomes even more lacking as one travels into the Persian desert that forms a hazy border to the west. The vegetation in the province is limited by water and altitude leaving a landscape dominated by low sagebrush, dwarf birch and pine. The main source of water in this province is the Areios River, in modern times called the Hari River, that creates a wide river with ample water in the valley adjacent to Alexandria-Areios, now called Herat. This forms the base of nearly all agriculture in the region, except for pastoral activity in the marginal areas of the province. The Areios River is formed from snowmelt and rain in the Hindu-Kush coming down along its various valleys to the west. Areia’s borders are roughly analogous to the province of Herat in the modern state of Afghanistan and remain one of the most productive regions in the country.

The People, Society and Government

By the timeframe of Europa Barbarorum, Areia is governed as a satrapy of the Seleucid Empire. A satrapy is a nominated client king under the dominion of a greater king or emperor. A satrap is often given a great deal of autonomy to govern as they see fit, often only having to pay annual tribute and provide troops as required. This was much the case in Areia after the conquests of Alexander and the wars of Diadochoi.

The native people of this region were Iranian Zoroastrians. These people were the origin of the spread of Iranian peoples across the steppe in the 8th century and became known as the Scythians. As such their language and culture remains very similar to the nomads to the north and west across the steppe. They revere fire, earth and sky much as their neighbours to the north do but the details vary. One thing that does remain the same is the “Sky Burials” first mentioned by Herodotus in the 5th century. These involve ritually laying out the dead to be consumed by predatory birds, to remove “impure” flesh. This practice remained across the European and Asian steppe for thousands of years, and was practiced by the Mongols when they first entered recorded history in the 13th century.

The other main group in this province were the Greek colonists and settlers brought by Alexander and the Seleucids. They form the governing class and the majority of the soldiery in the empire, despite being in a huge minority. Greek settlers become administrators, famers and soldiers living and working on the plots of land given to them by their Seleucid overlords. Greek culture becomes fashionable for many nobles of this region trying to curry favour with the new ruling class, leading to the term by modern historians of “Hellenization”. The extent to which Greek culture influenced native beliefs and practices is debated but Greek becomes the lingua franca of the eastern world at least until the end of the Baktrian and Seleucid kingdoms and remains on coins until the 1st century AD, well after the fall of Greek rulers in this region.

Members thankful for this post (3):

I like it! A few minor points below:

- I'd suggest, instead of the formulation "By the Timeframe of Europa Barbarorum", to write something like "by the early third Century BC". "Timeframe of Europa Barbarorum" is a bit inspecific, and it most assuredly was not part of the Seleukid domains by the end of the period.

- Also, a bit of a pet peeve of mine, but do note the Spelling. We often use greek Spelling for names, e.g. "Seleukid", "Alexandros", etc. Especially since we use the greek province name Areia.

Areia is done, many thanks to Mithridates and Arjos for their kind help.

<h>Travellers Log</h><p>The traveller rests his weary feet as he enters the valley of the Arieos River after a long journey into the rising Sun. The seemingly endless deserts of Persia have come to end as the Hindu-Kush becomes visible at last. The waters of the Areios River provide the only nourishment this valley needs, creating rich fields and vineyards. But its softening influence does not extend far from the valley floor, leaving those who live in the mountains to the east, the highland plateau to the north and few nomads in the desert to the west jealous of its riches. The deserts of the west are starved of water, while the high peaks of Hindu-Kush hoard water on their high peaks collected during the regions harsh winters. Areia’s only great town, established by Alexandros, Alexandria-Areios lies a few kilometres to the north of the Areios River. The “Shining Ones”, the Arya, of the Iranian steppe are the most numerous people in this region, together with newly arrived Greek settlers and various mountain tribes. On the hills, birds can be seen circling over so-called “Sky Burials”, where the dead are laid out to be consumed by birds of prey. The God of Zoroaster, Ahura Mazda, presides over these hills and valleys, where a harsh land breeds a harsher people, ready for war. </p><h>Geography</h><p>The province of Areia split into two main regions, gradually shifting between them as one travels east to west. The east of Areia is composed of the mountains and foothills of the Hindu-Kush, with steep valleys and craggy hills. As one travels west away from the mountains, the land becomes increasingly arid as one enters the Kara-Kum desert. The temperatures across the province vary in relation to altitude, but can reach 45 degrees Celsius in summer before falling to below freezing during winter. The precipitation in the province is low, but becomes even more lacking as one travels into the Persian desert that forms a hazy border to the west. The vegetation in the province is limited by water and altitude leaving a landscape dominated by low sagebrush, dwarf birch and pine. The main source of water in this province is the Areios River, in modern times called the Hari River, that creates a wide river valley with ample water adjacent to Alexandria-Areios, now called Herat. This forms the base of nearly all agriculture in the region, except for pastoral activity in the marginal areas of the province. The Areios River is formed from snowmelt and rain in the Hindu-Kush coming down along its various valleys to the west. Areia’s borders are roughly analogous to the province of Herat in the modern state of Afghanistan and remain one of the most productive regions in the country.</p><h>The People, Society and Government</h><p>By 272 BCE, Areia is governed as a satrapy of the Seleukid Empire. A satrapy is a nominated client king under the dominion of a greater king or emperor. A satrap is often given a great deal of autonomy to govern as they see fit, often only having to pay annual tribute and provide troops as required. This was much the case in Areia after the conquests of Alexandros and the wars of Diadochoi.</p><p>The native people of this region are Iranian Zoroastrians. These people were the origin of the spread of Iranian peoples across the steppe in the 8th century and became known as the Scythians by Greek sources. As such their language and culture remains very similar to the nomads to the north and west across the steppe. They revere fire, earth and sky much as their neighbours to the north do but the details of deities and worship vary. One thing that does remain the same is the “Sky Burials” first mentioned by Herodotus in the 5th century. These involve ritually laying out the dead to be consumed by predatory birds, to remove “impure” flesh. This practice remained across the European and Asian steppe for thousands of years, and was practiced by the Mongols when they first entered recorded history in the 13th century.</p><p>The other main group in this province were the Greek colonists and settlers brought by Alexandros and the Seleukids. They form the governing class and the majority of the soldiery in the empire, despite being in a huge minority. Greek settlers become administrators, famers and soldiers living and working on the plots of land given to them by their Seleukid overlords. Greek culture becomes fashionable for many nobles of this region trying to curry favour with the new ruling class, leading to the term by modern historians of “Hellenization”. The extent to which Greek culture influenced native beliefs and practices is debated but Greek becomes the lingua franca of the eastern world at least until the end of the Baktrian and Seleukids kingdoms and remains on coins until the 1st century CE, well after the fall of Greek rulers in this region. </p> <h>History</h><p>The people of Areia and its surrounding provinces are the purported source for the Indo-Iranian migrations in the early Bronze Age. This view is advanced in light of linguistic evidence from the period, sourced primarily from the Avesta, the Zoroastrian sacred text, and the Indian epics from the same period, written in Sanskrit. Zoroastrianism took first took root in this area in the Bronze Age, around 1800 BCE and became the dominant cultural feature of this area until the arrival of Islam in the 8th century CE. Limited archaeological evidence exists in this area but absence of burials becomes prominent after the acceptance of Zoroastrianism, when “Sky Burials” become the norm. </p><p>Areia becomes visible in European literature only after it is conquered by Cyrus the Great, during his vast conquests to form the Persian Empire in the 6th century BCE. It remains a satrapy of the Persian (or Achaemenid) Empire until its fall and conquest by Alexandros around 331 BCE. After his defeat at Gaugamela by Alexandros, Darius III fled to the east and took shelter with the satrap of Baktria-Bessus- who promptly murdered him and declared himself king. He immediately mobilised to attack Alexandros but was defeated and Baktria, Sogdiana, Oxieana and Areia become part of Alexandros’s empire. Alexandros continued to campaign in the east before returning to Babylon and dying of either disease or poison in 323 BCE. The account by Diodorus relates that when asked on his deathbed who should rule his empire, it is reputed he said “The strongest….” </p><p>This was much the case in the years that followed as the Diadochoi, the successors, fought over the scraps of Alexandros’s great empire, resulting in the formation of the Seleukid, Ptolemaic and Antigonid dynasties. By 272 BCE, Areia was part of the Seleukid Empire but remained a distant eastern province and was weakly administered by the central authority. By the late 3rd century BCE, the power of the Seleukids had waned and new powers had formed. The Parthian and Greco-Baktrian Kingdoms both declared independence and by 167 BCE Areia was part of the Parthian Empire and would remain so until the decline of Parthia and rise of Sassanids in the 3rd century CE.</p> <h>Strategy</h><p>Areia straddles one of the few routes east and west across the Kara-Kum desert and as such, is a hub of trade in the region. The mixture of Greek settlers and native Iranian troops will provide a flexible and effective fighting force for any ruler, while the rich river valley of the Areios will provide the tax revenue need to pay for those soldiers. This province holds the key to Central Asia and any ruler seeking to dominate the East would be wise to control this region.</p>

Feel free to critique any bit of what I've written, enjoy :)

Members thankful for this post (3):

Hi people!

I think I've located a little mistake in Vmbria's regional description:

In the last line of the fist paragraph, there is written: "...rises to drown out all bu the most vigorous clashes"

English is not my mother language, but I think you meant "BUT" instead of "BU". I hope this will help, cheers team!

Added both of those :) Glad you pointed out Vmbria as it was also missing the Traveller's Log header.

I should be able to write another province description before my exams start, is there any particular area you would like me to start on or just wherever one hasn't been written yet?

Whatever sounds interesting to you :)

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast