Thread: Regional Descriptions: Help the EBII Team

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Default Re: Regional Descriptions: Help the EBII Team

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    In English idiom, when flocks is plural, for some words the object that they are flocks of remains singular. "Flocks of duck", for example, is attested in this Smithsonian magazine article:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...ast-180962887/

However, I am not certain of the precise usage rule here to tell which of those words are eligible for this idiom beyond duck itself.
    I'm leery of that. Might very well be that this is an American thing, if it's a thing at all. I've also noticed that some descriptions, particularly Eastern Europe, are written in AE as opposed to the predominant BE.

edit:

As a matter of fact, I've begun to edit some descriptions myself (particularly in provinces with short descriptions, not those that are already overly long), adding/editing short notes on the flora and fauna -some are in serious need of more diversity. There's only so many times I can bear reading about bears.

edit2:

The description of Akuitanon still contains the erroneous line
    "Indo-Europeans arrived in Europe from Iran and Northern India around 3000 BCE displacing almost all other languages groups in Europe except for Finnish and Basque"

I've replaced the part marked in italics with "the Eurasian steppes". Not perfect, but more factually accurate I believe.

edit3:
    I've written a geography section for Ingwingoz, since it was missing. Still need to vet it for historical accuracy though before posting it here.
    Last edited by athanaric; 10-23-2017 at 21:24.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Member thankful for this post: