Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 new factions! Epirus, Sparta, Athens (DLC)

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: 3 new factions! Epirus, Sparta, Athens (DLC)

Video made it to YouTube:

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie View Post
    I agree with Lemur. I actually like CA's approach thus far - especially when compared to other companies - the DLC they release is nothing game changing that leaves me feeling like I only have half a game if I don't buy it (basing this on my Shogun 2 experience). You can get away with buying none of it if you want - or wait for the inevitable 75% off sale on Steam if you want, or shell out for it at full price if you want. No one is forcing you to pay full price and the game works as-is without the DLC.

Honestly I'd be happy if Rome 2 had a fully functioning Rome faction and nothing else. You can sell all the others if people want them; put all the up-front dev work into making Rome the best faction it can be. Of course, I'd also prefer multiple start dates... but.. well..
    Do you remember the price of Shogun 2 as a pre-order?
    I think it's better to wait and buy R2TW in Christmas day. The price will extremely come down.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

I think it's really best to wait. I want to play all the content they're making for it, and if Shogun II is any indication, buying stuff as it comes out (including the expansions) could easily add up to 100-150 dollars.

Not to mention the bugged-out state of most of these games on launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Not to mention the bugged-out state of most of these games on launch.
    I thought Shogun II was one of the most stable, feature-complete releases CA has yet managed. Compared to Shogun? Medieval? Not even to wade into the murky waters of Empire and Napoleon.

CA deserves some credit for putting out a polished 1.0 on S2, IMHO.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Well if no one is going to say it, I will!

Corinthian helmet for the Spartiates? Pah! XD

Member thankful for this post:

Moros 

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

There's nothing outright wrong with Spartans wearing Corinthian helmets, depending on the time frame. It'd be better to have them in pilos, but it's not essential. It's daft enough having them in at all as any sort of playable faction in the game period, but i suppose they're cool, so they might as well be given shiny helmets as well.

Athenian Thureophoroi are a nice surprise.
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I like the addition of those mercenary units, particularly those Thureophoroi as Catiline mentioned.

And looking forward to play with Athens.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Catiline View Post
    There's nothing outright wrong with Spartans wearing Corinthian helmets, depending on the time frame.
    That is the point (my emphasis), Sparta just stopped using it, for it hindered their whole fighting tactics. These depended on the ability to follow orders and manouvering in the middle of battles...
    Also recent reconstructions and surveying wounds have shown that frontally most of the damage in doric phalanxes came from above...

By the 3rd century BCE, of the Corinthian helmet, only the Italic variants were used and over the foreheads...
    Last edited by Arjos; 05-13-2013 at 06:03.

Lover of Beauty Member Imperator Invictus's Avatar
    in the lands of the Free Dacians, just outside Dacia Felix

I hope the next DLC will be about Thracian culture with the three kingdoms of Triballia, Getia and Cimmerian Bosphorus (Spartocids were Thracians) if I understand this format of DLC's for Rome 2 with 3 factions per culture. Other posibilities are: Helenistic culture with Pergamon, Seleucia and Baktria; Illyrian culture with Liburnia, Dalmatia and Dardania; Semitic culture with Judea, Nabatea and Palmyra etc.
    Last edited by Imperator Invictus; 05-13-2013 at 17:33.

Quote Originally Posted by komnenos View Post
    I think it's better to wait and buy R2TW in Christmas day.
    I think it's really best to wait.
    I hope all of you realize that it's idiots like me who pay full price for the pre-order that make the economics of game development work out.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I hope all of you realize that it's idiots like me who pay full price for the pre-order that make the economics of game development work out.

YOU'RE WELCOME.
    Can I get in on some of that gratuitous action?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos
    Well if no one is going to say it, I will!

Corinthian helmet for the Spartiates? Pah! XD
    I can hunt down the post if you want, but Jack Lusted essentially already replied to someone griping about this saying : This is just 1 unit. There are are many different spartan units with many different helmet types. Not just Corinthian helmets.

I just typed helmeNts twice. wtf braint.
    Last edited by Spoonska; 05-13-2013 at 18:09.
    I like to stream

YOU'RE WELCOME.
    Thanks!

It's the miracle of price discrimination. :P

If I could buy the game plus all of its future DLC and expansions for 60 bucks, I probably would.

I thought Shogun II was one of the most stable, feature-complete releases CA has yet managed. Compared to Shogun? Medieval? Not even to wade into the murky waters of Empire and Napoleon.

CA deserves some credit for putting out a polished 1.0 on S2, IMHO.
    Oh, sorry - I totally lost confidence in 1.0 total war games after Rome, Medieval, Empire and Napoleon, to the point where I didn't start reading about Shogun until a year after it came out. Was it really totally functional and ready to go? If the S2 launch was strong, then they definitely deserve kudos for that.

I still remember leaving my computer idling because of the load-siege bug in RTW.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 05-13-2013 at 23:04.

Was [Shogun II] really totally functional and ready to go? If the S2 launch was strong, then they definitely deserve kudos for that.
    Well, other members can correct me if I'm forgetting something big, but the S2 launch seemed to be remarkably smooth by CA standards. Obviously, there's no way a game as complex as that is going to launch with no quirks or bugs, but I don't remember anything game-stopping or outright bang-my-head-on-the-desk annoying. Best launch of the series, I do believe. Point of fact, I think it's safe to say that the S2 1.0 was more stable and feature-complete than many of the other games were by final patch.

Hence my unrealistically high hopes for R2.

Well, other members can correct me if I'm forgetting something big, but the S2 launch seemed to be remarkably smooth by CA standards. Obviously, there's no way a game as complex as that is going to launch with no quirks or bugs, but I don't remember anything game-stopping or outright bang-my-head-on-the-desk annoying. Best launch of the series, I do believe. Point of fact, I think it's safe to say that the S2 1.0 was more stable and feature-complete than many of the other games were by final patch.
    That's how I remember it. I was playing S2 at release and I don't remember any issues.

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    That's how I remember it. I was playing S2 at release and I don't remember any issues.
    Yes, I agree here as well. It's amazing more don't remember it that way as, given CAs prior track record, it was a memorable event.

;)
    "Après moi le déluge"

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    Yes, I agree here as well. It's amazing more don't remember it that way as, given CAs prior track record, it was a memorable event.

;)
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post

;)
    Probably because of cognitive dissonance. There was a bug with the AI turn lasting forever in rare circumstances but loading an earlier save fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt View Post
    There was a bug with the AI turn lasting forever in rare circumstances
    Must have been pretty damn rare; I played the living heck out of S2 when it arrived, and I never found that bug.

Anyway, compared to other CA launches, S2 was a festival of sparkly pony magic.

Must have been pretty damn rare; I played the living heck out of S2 when it arrived, and I never found that bug.

Anyway, compared to other CA launches, S2 was a festival of sparkly pony magic.
    I played 2 domination games and hit it once on the second game. Funny enough, I was lucky enough to avoid those type of bugs on previous releases. Or at least I don't remember getting the horrible ones that people encountered in Empire/MTW2 and the others.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Invictus View Post
    I hope the next DLC will be about Thracian culture with the three kingdoms of Triballia, Getia and Cimmerian Bosphorus (Spartocids were Thracians) if I understand this format of DLC's for Rome 2 with 3 factions per culture. Other posibilities are: Helenistic culture with Pergamon, Seleucia and Baktria; Illyrian culture with Liburnia, Dalmatia and Dardania; Semitic culture with Judea, Nabatea and Palmyra etc.
    The judea faction would have to be an emerging faction of some sort then and would make the campaign events rather predestined. Also Palmyra is important mainly later on in history. The semitic faction most deserving a place would have been the kingdom of Lihyân, but that won't make it because it's rather unkown to most people. Of course I could be wrong on these points if the starting date is significantly different from the one of Rome I. But considering the inclusion of Epirus, I actually doubt that. As they'll make sure one could play the Pyrrhos' campaign.

And Iberian pack could be in the make as well. Iberian tribe, Celitberian tribe and the Lusotannan or some northern tribe could fit the bill.
    Or a general celtic tribe pack with for example Belgae, Boii and Aedui/Maesilia/Celtiberian (Arevaci)...
    Especially the latter could prove a popular expansion and easy one as well (research and reusing content).

Very excited about the Greek factions!

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

But I hoped that they put these three factions to the list of main factions not as a DLC. Because for example Sparta or Athens were important faction and played significant roles in that time and in my opinion it's not appropriate to sell it as a DLC.

Byzantine Proverb

The only significant thing that Athens and Sparta did in the time frame Rome II will cover is get conquered by Macedonia then Rome.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    The only significant thing that Athens and Sparta did in the time frame Rome II will cover is get conquered by Macedonia then Rome.
    Shhht! If Polybios hears you, there's going to be trouble again.

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

As much as I would like to agree with you, I think they COULD have done something significant. I mean, if you had to follow the real history, macedon would be toast in any case, as would carthage and spain.

IMO it is more fun to rewrite history then to repeat it
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Having played Europa Barbarorum, I really liked the concept of the Koinon Hellenon faction, representing the Chremodian Alliance between Sparta, Athens, and Rhodes that existed at the start date. Obviously, such a construct wouldn't realistically be expected to last for hundreds of years, expanding and conquering other lands. BUT, if the start date is appropriate, I'd like to see these 3 factions begin the game allied with each other. If nothing else, it should assist their survival as independent factions for a while.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I would agree with you on Athens, but Sparta became pretty strong under Cleomenes III. So strong that the Achaean League had to call in Macedonia for help.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

I would rather say it remained somewhat sparta than it became strong. The most thing they did was oppose the Macedonians and epirotes from time to time, but they did not conquer anything of importance. This is NOTHING compared to other (not yet included) prospect factions. CA made a good decision in making them a 3-Pack-faction DLC, it's quite appropriate.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

As you know playing these games are not only for entertainment but also for that starting from a part of a history and then change it in a way to achieve success. So if you think Athens was weak , in this game you can change the history and atone the mistakes of Athens. Therefore you can realize what mistakes Greeks did and you use an appropriate policy to play an important role in the world and rebuil that faction.

Byzantine Proverb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12