Thread: Grrrr... iPod's are pissing me off

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

Default Grrrr... iPod's are pissing me off

I bought my 160GB iPod classic about a year ago. 30th of April 2012, to be exact. A few days ago, I had the dreaded "itunesdb is corrupt" message. Very conveniently, this is a week after the warranty expired. I've tried all the possible fixes. To no avail. So, I have an appointment with Apple tomorrow. In the event that they rip me off, what other high capacity mp3 players are there?

I NEED the capacity. I had about 10 GB left on the 160GB. And most of it was music. So any device that has a huge capacity and has few known errors is fine by me. Any suggestions?

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Grrrr... iPod's are pissing me off

Wow, you carry around 150GB of music? The biggest Zune I know of is only 120GB....Archos makes some stuff, but I can't vouch for them.

Remember, pretty much all large capacity media devices contain mechanical hard drives, which are going to be prone to failure- particularly when you're toting them around on various activities. I suppose you probably have your reasons for not using smaller capacity devices and just swapping out your songs more often?
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

FWIW, my friends and acquaintances have had good experiences taking in Apple products to the store, and having recently-expired warranties being honored. Worth a try, costs nothing, might fix your problem without a new purchase.

Yeah, I can't just swap out the songs. I have about 1200 albums by 600 artists. I prefer having everything in one place. I've got a backup of the music on my external, so losing the music on the iPod is not a problem. It's just that the durability of the iPod surprised me, considering that I used to have an iPod Video 30GB which still works, to some extent. I got that about 7 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    FWIW, my friends and acquaintances have had good experiences taking in Apple products to the store, and having recently-expired warranties being honored. Worth a try, costs nothing, might fix your problem without a new purchase.
    I've read good things about the Apple store, so I am a bit optimistic.

So, I went to the Apple store today. They replaced my iPod for free, without checking my warranty. Props to Apple for being considerate. I've yet to test the new iPod, but I will once I get home.

Yep. The iPod works fine. Now to see if it'll last another year.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Glad that worked out. Free replacement is better than buying new.

-edit-

Now I just need to haul in my ancient G5 tower and tell them it doesn't run new software. Hey presto! New desktop!

Sigh. It's a fantasy, anyway. I haven't had a working OS X box in years. Maybe my next PC build will be a Hackintosh ...

... like my admin friend who works for a derivatives firm put it, "They took a perfectly good version of BSD Unix and slathered their graphical **** all over it."
    Last edited by Lemur; 05-13-2013 at 17:32.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    So, I went to the Apple store today. They replaced my iPod for free, without checking my warranty. Props to Apple for being considerate. I've yet to test the new iPod, but I will once I get home.
    This is a big reason why I'm reluctant to switch away from the iPhone even though I'm not in love with the way it's going at the moment. I dropped my iPad 2 about a month after I got it and caused a crack that went across the entire glass plate. It was clearly not a flaw with the product or a failure of the product and was not remotely covered by the warranty. I took it into the Apple store anyway, expecting them to tell me that they've have to send it off to be refurbished and it would cost me half the price of the device. Instead, they gave me a brand new one on the spot with no questions asked. Customer service like that is hard to find these days.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Customer service like that is hard to find these days.
    Yeah, even from Apple. I worked at a school that purchased iPads with AppleCare+ warranties and they consistently refused to replace cracked screens...

Not that they were obligated to do so, mind you, but it does call into question the point of an extended warranty on an iPad- I told them they were wasting their money..
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln