Thread: Help!! Why Adding Traits and Unit and .... not Working ?!

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Default Help!! Why Adding Traits and Unit and .... not Working ?!

hi all.

i just dont know why adding traits to a character or adding units is not working in EB ?!

is it EB's problem or my ?!

and the other question is that, if you found the solution for me, how can that be for Phonetic Names, like the names for Parthian (Pahlavan) units and Buildings that i cant type it here?!

and PLEAZE !!!!! Answer and Help Me !!!

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: Help!! Why Adding Traits and Unit and .... not Working ?!

I haven't modded EB in a while, but, iirc, the most common mistake is using notepad to edit the text files. Download Notepad++ and use that.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Help!! Why Adding Traits and Unit and .... not Working ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Aram of Mada View Post
    i just dont know why adding traits to a character or adding units is not working in EB ?!
    What exactly isn't working? Does the mod crash, or is it just that the units don't show up?

A common mistake when changing EB units is editing the wrong export_descr_unit (EDU) file. To change the units in the EB campaign, you should edit the EDU file in the folder "sp campaign game edu"; to change the multi-player game, you should edit the EDU in "mp custom game edu".

Also, adding new traits and new units may cause problems with your saved campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Aram of Mada View Post
    and the other question is that, if you found the solution for me, how can that be for Phonetic Names, like the names for Parthian (Pahlavan) units and Buildings that i cant type it here?!
    I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    What exactly isn't working? Does the mod crash, or is it just that the units don't show up?

A common mistake when changing EB units is editing the wrong export_descr_unit (EDU) file. To change the units in the EB campaign, you should edit the EDU file in the folder "sp campaign game edu"; to change the multi-player game, you should edit the EDU in "mp custom game edu".

Also, adding new traits and new units may cause problems with your saved campaigns.
    no i mean adding Unit or Trait in CONSOLE in the game not with notepad or editing it!!
    does it need to see what is it writed ?! or something ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.
    those letters and words that are not simple english!! damn i dont have that keyboard to tell u what do i mean!
    but for example look at ASAVARNE DEHBED----that have ^on or under the E - A - S - C that changes the pronounciation!
    how do i type that in Console to add unit or trait !?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Some characters while not seen in console when typed do work. They are just not shown. It is essential to type them though.

However do note that not all the names as they appear to you in game are necessarily the internal names, the name the game uses it self. Those can be found in the text files however. Concerning character names there are threads that address this already, use the search function to find them. If you still have problems then, please state them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Some characters while not seen in console when typed do work. They are just not shown. It is essential to type them though.

However do note that not all the names as they appear to you in game are necessarily the internal names, the name the game uses it self. Those can be found in the text files however. Concerning character names there are threads that address this already, use the search function to find them. If you still have problems then, please state them here.
    NO ! i dont know why u dont understand me! first i said that Adding Unit or Trait in the Console (~) is not working in my EB! when i add trait and write its name says CHARACTER NOT FOUND while i typed it correctly ! adding for adding unit too !!

and the words an letters i mean for some langs like polish Kurdish latin or Turkish that have (^) under or above the letters & words ! i said does it need that to be written in the console ?! like the Native Parthian-Saka&.... units and Generals Native names ?!
    Last edited by Empire*Of*Media; 06-09-2013 at 12:12.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You need to write the internal name of a unit into the console. Not the name that appears in game.

For example:

add_unit "Phraaspa" "eastern infantry kavakaza sparabara" 5
    And You get 5 units of Kavakaza Sparabara in Phraaspa.

Just check the export_descr_unit.txt file for units internal names.

;121
    type eastern infantry kavakaza sparabara << this here is the unit name that You need
    dictionary eastern_infantry_kavakaza_sparabara ; Kavakaza Sparabara
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type General_1
    soldier eastern_infantry_kavakazasparabara_sarmatianspearmen_sakaspearmen, 60, 0, 1.1
    attributes sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, very_hardy
    formation 1.2, 1.4, 2.4, 2.8, 5, square
    stat_health 1, 1
    stat_pri 12, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 0 ,0.13
    stat_pri_attr light_spear
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 0 ,0
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 1, 9, 3, flesh
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 1
    stat_ground 0, 0, 2, 0
    stat_mental 9, impetuous, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 40
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 896, 224, 50, 70, 896
    ownership parthia, armenia, romans_scipii, slave, carthage, gauls, scythia, britons, germans, dacia, spain, egypt, saba, romans_brutii, numidia, romans_julii, thrace, greek_cities, macedon, seleucid
    As for traits it's the same thing. You need the name of a trait from the export_VnVs.txt file.

For example if you play as Sweboz and want Xomorommoz trait then you have to write:

add_trait "(character name)" "Hamarammaz"
    because Hamarammaz is the name the game uses.

{Hamarammaz} Xomorommoz

{Hamarammaz_desc}
    ?omo-rommoz\n(KhO-mo-ROM-moz, “Shape-strong” or Skin-walker)\nThis man believes himself to be a "shape-shifter," able to transform into an animal during battle or times of stress. His fierce, bold, and deranged state greatly encourages his fellow warriors who watch him run fearlessly into the enemy and are inspired to follow, but his overall leadership and ability to manage anything besides his weapons both suffer drastically as his mind is seemingly no longer present. Historically, the Germanic peoples became well-known for their rare and eccentric bear and wolf cults, whose shamanic warriors were dedicated to a particular animal totem. The Ber?swerxiz (“Bear-shirt”) or Wulxwoxoth?nez (“Wolfskin-coat”) would go into an ecstatic trance and was thought to have left his body, communing with W?thonoz (God of Change and Inspiration) in the Otherworld, while his body controlled by animal spirit could not be killed by normal weapons.

{Hamarammaz_effects_desc}
    +2 Morale to all troops in the battlefield, -1 Command, -1 Management.

{Hamarammaz_gain_desc}
    This man believes himself to be a "shape-shifter," able to transform into an animal during battle or times of stress.
    Also, I suggest you to familiarize yourself with the EB names in export_names.txt file. The character name you see in game might not be the name the game uses. So, you sometimes have to try to guess characters names.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    You need to write the internal name of a unit into the console. Not the name that appears in game.

For example:

And You get 5 units of Kavakaza Sparabara in Phraaspa.

Just check the export_descr_unit.txt file for units internal names.

As for traits it's the same thing. You need the name of a trait from the export_VnVs.txt file.

For example if you play as Sweboz and want Xomorommoz trait then you have to write:

because Hamarammaz is the name the game uses.

Also, I suggest you to familiarize yourself with the EB names in export_names.txt file. The character name you see in game might not be the name the game uses. So, you sometimes have to try to guess characters names.
    thank u very much for your useful help!

and the other problem is that it doesnt work in EB !!! it works for adding money or process_cq. but not working for other. when i type ADD-UNIT it says COMMAND NOT RECOGNISED ! and for adding traits too it says character not found! while i chek it and it is exactly right !!
    isnt just adding_trait ?!?!? so whats the problem ?!?!

and the other, what should i do for more than two words?! for example (Servivs Cornelivs opius OR THE EASTERN Daraman-e Zandig) ???!!

thank u for your help !
    Last edited by Empire*Of*Media; 06-09-2013 at 16:09.

Could you please consider limiting the use of capital letters, exclamation- and question marks. It is considered as yelling on forums and as impolite.

It says character not found because you're not using the character/unit/trait names in the same way as .txt files do. They differ between what their name is in the .txt's and in the game, as we've been trying to to tell you. If you want to add a trait to a character you must first find the name of the character, then search how that exact name is within the textfiles, the same goes for the trait's name. See above to know what textfile you need to check.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

All these things do work. I know it because I used all these commands when I hosted rpg games in Throne Room. Also, it's almost impossible to right guess the name of a Roman character since the last two names come from a trait and are absolutely useless with console commands.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Could you please consider limiting the use of capital letters, exclamation- and question marks. It is considered as yelling on forums and as impolite.

It says character not found because you're not using the character/unit/trait names in the same way as .txt files do. They differ between what their name is in the .txt's and in the game, as we've been trying to to tell you. If you want to add a trait to a character you must first find the name of the character, then search how that exact name is within the textfiles, the same goes for the trait's name. See above to know what textfile you need to check.
    really! sorry i didnt thought my exclamation- and question marks will cause bother!

1. and from where and how ishould find Roman and Special, the Eastern Names ?
    2. and how should i know what traits in the text files you mentioned, will cause raising Commanding Stars ? because i gave GOODCOMMANDER but it didnt found it, so i realized ROME traits is different with EB yes?!

The files you need to consult are export_VnVs.txt for trait names, export_names.txt (both files are in the data folder of your game installation folder) for the names.Note some traits might change names ingame. However the original textfile names are still to be used.So it can be important to remember the original name of a character. For the starting generals and family members, who might have name influencing traits, the names of the characters can be found in desc_strat (which can be found in the ...data/world/.../imperial_campaign folder)

Also thanks for understanding that too many exclamation marks and capitals are considered rude. I understand you were not that familiar yet with these things. Just try to keep them at bay in the future, thanks!

thank u. but that file u said didnt help me because in export_descr_character_traits was my answer!

but anyway, the problem is that it says command not recognised For my command "ADD_UNIT" !!! this is the main problem!
    1. but i have one problem, what should i do with two same names?! for Example i want to add trait to two character like "arshak e Zandig ---- Arshake Parsig" ?! because he does it for one of them, and in that file only writes ARSHAK and nothing more !!

2.like for construchtion that is PROCESS_CQ, what command is needed for ending Unit recruitment?! i typed Process_rq but said eror!!

3. and plz Help me. i really need your help about this!
    how can i do CONTROL_FACTIONS in Game Console? because whatever i type it will eror!
    plz type the exact Command and mention (") too and if needs an explain plz explain a little for me.

sorry for asking too much in here! because i didnt want to make many threads.
    thanks.
    Last edited by Empire*Of*Media; 06-11-2013 at 17:15.

1. add_unit works only when implemented in a script, not in the console command. Not unlike perfect_spy. IIRC (it's been a long while)
    2. Don't know if there is one such command.
    3. control_faction followed by the internal faction name, usually one of the orginal RTW faction names.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Correction: it's create_unit. And it does work in the console.
    For example:

create_unit Roma "celtic infantry curoas" 4 1 1 1
    --> will spawn four units of mercenary celtic swordsmen in Roma, with 1 experience, 1 armour upgrade and 1 weapon upgrade. IIRC the number of units you canspawn at any one time is limited by 5, experience is capped at 9 and weapon/armor upgrade is capped at 3. You can't create units in cities that are already full.

You can also use it to create units in an existing stack outside cities, but this is more difficult.

If I remember correctly, there used to be a console code that completed the units in the recruitment que. I think it was process_rq. But it was disabled in one of the patches.

Adding traits has been explained by other members. In some cases you have to add a number after the trait, usually 1, because many traits have multiple levels. The most difficult part is discovering the console name for the character, of course.

"control faction" is not a console code. It has to be in a script.

In the script folder of your EB there's a file named "generic script" or something like that. In the existing file, it's used to activate the Perfect Spy thingie. You can replace it however with, for example:
    console command control Parthia

The generic script is activated by pressing F1, and in the window that pops up you click the ? button.
    Be warned however that this script will cause some complications. After switching factions, save and load again. The government structures will (if I remember correctly) be damaged because the game will think that you "conquered" all those regions when you switched factions.

If you ever switch back to the faction you originally started with, you'll notice that the government structures you placed yourself originally will be damaged 100% and that the EB script has placed new ones for the AI player (that you have just replaced again). To avoid possible bugs you should tear down the new ones and then repair the old ones.
    Last edited by Kralizec; 06-11-2013 at 21:01.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's "create_unit". Gah, messed up before.

DEAR Kralizec

i greatly thank u! i asked so much but i didnt get the proper answer !
    u dont know how u solved my problems in EB! i copied your texts.

if there i was able to thank so many times i would thank u 343.000 times to u !!

Thank u for your perfect and right reply & Helping !