Thread: The Walking Dead

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default The Walking Dead

Picked it among the awesome Telltale games bundle of Humble Bundle and, maybe for years now, it's been the first time I waited eagerly for the time of the day to come when I was free to play a certain title.

I've read overpraising critics as well as bashing it for being not much of a "game" as it was claimed to be.

Yeah, it's definitely linear - you have to try hard not to progress and you are restricted to that certain progress embedded on an invisible track.

However, the cinematic value of the game is overwhelming. There is not a single character that did not leave a taste of its own -and in a complicated way so- that I've met throughout the game. Voice acting, story, twists, this-or-that choices, unexpectedly (from -apparently- such a decent engine) well built facial expressions, atmosphere, the tension, man this is one of the best things I've played in years.

I guess liking The Walking Dead depends on your personal preferences - it can't be a classic, therefore. I've always been a fan of cinematic experience -I'd go for a The Walking Dead 2 instead of a free-roaming world of GTA V-. I've always loved good stories -stories where you have to make tough choices which leads you to a trade off, where you feel "bad" the moment you've made the decision, stories where bitter results or ending is quite possible.

The Walking Dead delivered that -I never should have defended Ben like the paladin I was which eventually cost me the ever-bright and brave geek Doug or I should have saved Ben when I had to -he was Clem's best friend that far.

Despite being so linear, the game still possesses a replay value -to see how things would evolve if you would choose the other over the one you had chosen in your initial experience or not making the same mistake you had unintentionally done before.

All in all, The Walking Dead and Telltale Games deserve my gratefulness for an experience I had not touched for quite some time.

Jeez, I'd like my future daughter as sweet as Clem like how she looks and how she is -how could another game make you feel that ?
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 06-23-2013 at 12:13.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: The Walking Dead

Got it on the failpad but the touchscreen-controls drive me mad. It is supposed to be really good, but I want to play this with a proper controller.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Played it, liked it a great deal. Updated video drivers, and now it won't launch no matter how I tweak it.

Seems to be a very common problem -- app is as fragile as an alcoholic Southern woman who gets by on the kindness of strangers.
    Last edited by Lemur; 06-23-2013 at 16:51.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I loved the game when i first played it. Then I replayed it thinking I'd make different choices and see how the storyline branches..... Except it doesn't. You're forced into all the important choices and the only real ones you can make have no meaningful impact on the storyline. Once the proverbial curtain was pulled back, I lost a lot of respect for this game.

Sure, it has a compelling storyline- but any linear game that doesn't would be considered a complete failure. Where they do excel is in funneling you towards making the correct "decision" without making you feel like the choice is being taken from you... which in hindsight, it pretty much is. I guess the same thing that made me love it the first time thru is what made me hate it when I tried to replay it.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 06-23-2013 at 18:37.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I loved the game when i first played it. Then I replayed it thinking I'd make different choices and see how the storyline branches..... Except it doesn't. You're forced into all the important choices and the only real ones you can make have no meaningful impact on the storyline. Once the proverbial curtain was pulled back, I lost a lot of respect for this game.

Sure, it has a compelling storyline- but any linear game that doesn't would be considered a complete failure. Where they do excel is in funneling you towards making the correct "decision" without making you feel like the choice is being taken from you... which in hindsight, it pretty much is. I guess the same thing that made me love it the first time thru is what made me hate it when I tried to replay it.
    Hrm, that's worrying to hear, I'll keep my high regards by not replaying then.

Clem, my little girl, Clem.