Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Beer

what is great about it?

Having been made to taste a high quality beer (when I was a student--and long story there), I find it tastes like moldy bread, and is disgusting at that. it looks like urine, with its golden color, and smells like old honey wheats--without the honey. It makes your breath smell like a sewer (or you just woke up in the morning), and of course, it makes you drunk, and therefore dangerous.

aftertaste varies I imagine, but what I tried reminds me of flavored mouthwash.

so again, what gives? why drink it?

I've never found a rational reason, and hope to hear your opinions.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Members thankful for this post (4):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Beer

Moldy bread is how it was invented! Not really a beer drinker myself but at times it can be the best drink ever. But if you don't like it don't drink it

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Moldy bread is how it was invented! Not really a beer drinker myself but at times it can be the best drink ever. But if you don't like it don't drink it
    don't plan on starting to drink. just wondering why others--many others--like it.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    don't plan on starting to drink. just wondering why others--many others--like it.
    It has been proven that the taste of beer releases endorphines, hormones that make you feel good. Spicy food and sex have the same quality

Oh wow, this is something I could talk for a while about. Not because I know a lot about beer, but because I am in the process of trying to figure out what makes a good beer "great" as well.

So I have a sibling who is really into beer. Brews it all the time at home. Has tried probably over 100 different beers from microbreweries across the West coast. For my 21st birthday the present I got from this sibling was a selection of different craft beers (as well as some hard apple cider which was a request I made). Now I am not a big drinker at all. I have said on this forum somewhere at I am almost mormon in how I avoid alcohol and caffeine. But since it was my 21st birthday I got curious and figured I may as well at least try to see if I can develop a taste for beer which usually tastes extremely bitter and unappetizing to me.

So for the past few weeks I have been slowly trying the craft beers I have (have not drank one in a while though due to feeling too sad to drink). I have had some ales, IPA's and Stouts. Been keeping a beer journal so I can remember which ones I liked the most for reference when I go out drinking with others since I am going to try to be a lot more social in my life. From what I can tell thus far, a lot of the enjoyment of beer comes from the large versatility it has and the variations it can come in which provide a lot of durability and excitement in comparison to say, a standard hard liquor drink. I mean, so far in every party I have gone to, a vodka and cranberry is a vodka and cranberry is a vodka and cranberry. Which is nice if you like vodka and cranberry. But it isn't changing anytime soon. If it did, people would give it a new name.

So far of the three types of beers I have tried, I have noticed noticeable differences in how palatable it was based on the texture of the beer. By texture I mean for example whether the beer is really clear and filtered (ignore the color just talking about the opacity) or if it is really murky with the yeast still floating around in there. Then there is the flavoring which is tied into the durability of the beer. It seems that you can throw in almost any flavor into a beer and have it work. I had a double chocolate stout and although I really didn't like the taste of it, as someone who can't stand the taste of ethanol, the chocolate malt (or whatever they put in) did a good job of really overpowering the ethanol and if the taste was to my liking I actually could see myself pounding down more than a few at a social event.

I don't know how to really continue this post. I have only just started my exploration of what good beers are. I still have a traditional German imported beer of some type sitting in my fridge, my sibling tells me it is a good example of a beer that follows the Reinheitsgebot (German beer purity laws).

Would I say that I enjoy beer? Not yet, still haven't found one that really got me excited to drink. But my opinion of what a beer could be has certainly been shaken as the only exposure before this past year has been your typical college party beer (AKA Bud Light).
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 05-14-2013 at 06:11.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Some strong beer have a scent that matches that of baked bread. I love that smell.

and of course, it makes you drunk, and therefore dangerous.
    Reason number 2, and the most important reason why most people drink it.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

So for the past few weeks I have been slowly trying the craft beers I have (have not drank one in a while though due to feeling too sad to drink). I have had some ales, IPA's and Stouts.
    I love ales and IPAs in particular. Stouts? Not so much. I enjoy some lagers too, like Yuengling. My brother gave me a few bottles of Dead Guy Ale the other week- it was excellent.

I don't drink much alcohol really, but I do love trying out different craft beers and micro brews.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I think beer is an acquired taste, much like smoking.

I used to abhor beer and cigarettes. These days I drink beer like water, and if you can roll it I can smoke it.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I don't drink anymore but being drunk is nice, especially for someone like me who needs valium for a similar effect to feel calm and happy. It's really a social thing - it helps people find anything entertaining.

I never really thought much of the taste of beer - good or bad. It's just a drink.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

For most it's probably an acquired taste. A cheap source of adolescent intoxication. With spicy foods I enjoy it. I think it enhances the flavor of some good buffalo wings. When hot and humid a very cold beer seems more refreshing than water.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Physical dependency

I also don't trust people who refuse to partake
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

All alcohol tastes like the first time you try it. If you get beyond that and keep drinking it for a while, you'll eventually start to enjoy it on its own. Over time, you stop noticing the unpleasant aspects of the flavor and start to enjoy it. It's the same thing for many other substances, including tobacco and coffee.

If you want to learn on beer, start with lagers. They're the least harsh alcohol tasting and easiest for people to get into. After you've started enjoying those, it's easy to branch out into other styles. If you want to start with liqueur, start with mixed drinks and then gradually decrease the amount of mixer.
    Last edited by TinCow; 05-14-2013 at 20:42.

Well my current emotional state seems stable tonight. So I am going to try another beer I got for my birthday. Gonzo Imperial Porter from Flying Dog Brewery.

EDIT: Holy hell, this is 9.2% ABV and you can taste it.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 05-15-2013 at 07:42.

All this talk made me crave for good beer so I went and got the costliest one at the booze store. Tuborg strong. Has a more mellow taste than the brand I usually drink. I like it.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try 'sink the Bismark'. Since I've been able to afford it, I prefer champagne as my bubbly refreshment. Beer is so bourgeoise.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

what is great about it?

Having been made to taste a high quality beer (when I was a student--and long story there), I find it tastes like moldy bread, and is disgusting at that. it looks like urine, with its golden color, and smells like old honey wheats--without the honey. It makes your breath smell like a sewer (or you just woke up in the morning), and of course, it makes you drunk, and therefore dangerous.

aftertaste varies I imagine, but what I tried reminds me of flavored mouthwash.

so again, what gives? why drink it?

I've never found a rational reason, and hope to hear your opinions.
    You sir do not know what quality beer. Take this opportunity to be educated.

Lesson 1. Drink this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-Stbernardusabt.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	9243

After lesson 1 it is normal to feel like a fool. No one blames you, you couldn't know what real beer tasted like. And yes, I know you're anxious for lesson 2 now. But be patient young one, first we must repeat lesson 1 a few times. Than we'll go explore the vast richness of the old Belgian heritage, Cech pilsner, recent experimental Dutch, American Micro-breweries and experimental Belgian beers. Rejoice at the unfathomably large varieties of magnificent beers you will discover.

Member thankful for this post:

again, just to be clear, I'm not asking because I want to start drinking. I just want to know why others find it attractive--to satisfy my curiosity on the subject: it is very fascinating. As it is, I'm happy remaining a tea-totaller.
    @Moros: sadly, the beer was a Belgian type. I forget the exact name--just the appearance. this is all going by what I was told. Might have been the New Belgium brewery in the town I was in (Fort Collins)

having said that, I see now why many love beer. it is an acquired taste, and people (for reasons I still can't understand), like the buzz associated with alcohol. I'm not sure though how Orange flavoring (or other flavors) helps mitigate it though, or how it can be bypassed, in light of the distinct taste. all this sounds like a topic for a few research papers.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 05-18-2013 at 04:56.

Every thing I drank tonight except the weak Belgian apple beer tasted meh to me.

@Moros: sadly, the beer was a Belgian type. I forget the exact name--just the appearance. this is all going by what I was told. Might have been the New Belgium brewery in the town I was in (Fort Collins)
    Sadly not all that comes from Belgium is good anymore. Some have lost their way by wanting to become more successful export products. (ABInbev is the best example, Stella Artois, Leffe,...) And of course not everything that claims to be inspired on Belgian Beer is great either.

So get on with Lesson 1!!!

having said that, I see now why many love beer. it is an acquired taste, and people (for reasons I still can't understand), like the buzz associated with alcohol. I'm not sure though how Orange flavoring (or other flavors) helps mitigate it though, or how it can be bypassed, in light of the distinct taste. all this sounds like a topic for a few research papers.
    dunno Belgians, but the Dutch Grolsch brewer makes a product that goes great with spicy burritos. a beer focused research paper sounds like using academics as an excuse to get loaded. impressive move!
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Just like bread there is a huge variety if beer.

The right beer for the food and the day can be a massive difference.

Had a liter of dark Belgium beer with a kg of NZ mussels last year and still remember how good the combo was.

I like the darker malty beers by themselves. Lagers go well with spicey foods.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Best regular beer comes from the Chech-republic. Heavier beers, can't beat our soutern neighbours. High awesome factor as well as a lot are still brewed in abbeys
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-21-2013 at 08:35.

Best regular beer comes from the Chech-republic. Heavier beers, can't beat our soutern neighbours. High awesome factor as well as a lot are still brewed in abbeys
    yeah, a professor of mine (a German), swears by its taste.

Heavier beers, can't beat our soutern neighbours. High awesome factor as well as a lot are still brewed in abbeys
    Don't be fooled though. Many just have a bought an abbey's name and nothing more (Leffe is a prime example). Though of course there are quite a few which are actually brewed by monks or supervised by monks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Don't be fooled though. Many just have a bought an abbey's name and nothing more (Leffe is a prime example). Though of course there are quite a few which are actually brewed by monks or supervised by monks.
    Had a great store in my street that didn't let you leave before you heard everything there is to know about the beer you bought, passionate guy. He didn't make it sadly but he had some great beers, a little bit too expensive for a small town like Amersfoort, not enough of a customer-base to make it work. Fake or not, Leffe Dubbel is still one of my favourits, doubles tend to get a bit too sweet usually, Leffe Dubbel has a pleasent bitterniss that makes it really easy to gob up

Had a great store in my street that didn't let you leave before you heard everything there is to know about the beer you bought, passionate guy. He didn't make it sadly but he had some great beers, a little bit too expensive for a small town like Amersfoort, not enough of a customer-base to make it work. Fake or not, Leffe Dubbel is still one of my favourits, doubles tend to get a bit too sweet usually, Leffe Dubbel has a pleasent bitterniss that makes it really easy to gob up
    My friend and I once wrote a column on Belgian beers in a student paper for foreign students in Leuven. Which meant every month we had a meeting with such a guy who gave us a lot of information, history, background stories and anecdotes as well on quite a few beers of some category (every month a different one). And of course we could all taste them free of charge. Best job I ever had. I didn't get paid, but still.

I never understood beer. It's just not my thing, I guess. A good red wine goes nicely with a steak, Coke & Brandy on the rocks is always a great way to relax at night. Beer? It's just bleh.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Also more of a wine guy. A cold beer can at times be devine though, on a warm day or after some hard labour it's the mana of the gods

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

For me beer is all about pairing... Beer and nachos, beer and pizza, beer and a cheeseburger. IMO beer makes a good meal much better!
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Quote Originally Posted by Kurando View Post
    beer and a cheeseburger

A large cheeseburger with a pint of strong beer is on my list of the best meals I've ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast