Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citizen Militia

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Citizen Militia

I'm clearly a nut, bit I've always been interested in the idea of the citizen militia. The ability of able bodied men (and now women) to be able to outfit like a modern hoplite and join the phalanx still has an appeal. Every American who is not a violent felon or completely deranged should have basic tactical training, a mid-caliber carbine, a pistol, body armor and basic knowledge of weaponry.

For armor
    For carbine
    For pistol
    For training or this

Because why not. We can own it already, why not become proficient? I know this sounds like a dumb and/or dangerous idea, but let's not lie and say it is unappealing at least to us - this is a wargaming site. Either way, small arms training will never save the world, but if people are educated and relatively peaceful, I don't see it as being dangerous. Flame on and enjoy the links. No matter how much you might disagree, you will enjoy these links
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 08-12-2013 at 13:36.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Default Re: Citizen Militia

I, too, admire the ancient Greek tradition of the citizen soldier. I strongly support the people's right to own an Apsis, a spear and other forms of pre-modern weaponry to wage war on neighbouring towns.

Members thankful for this post (4):

See? This guy is down with the struggle.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do we get to sell our adversaries into slavery?
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Member thankful for this post:

No, we would need to keep it peaceful and non-abrasive to the rights of others in order for it to work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    I'm clearly a nut, bit I've always been interested in the idea of the citizen militia. The ability of able bodied men (and now women) to be able to outfit like a modern hoplite and join the phalanx still has an appeal. Every American who is not a violent felon or completely deranged should have basic tactical training, a mid-caliber carbine, a pistol, body armor and basic knowledge of weaponry.

For armor
    For carbine
    For pistol
    For training or this

Because why not. We can own it already, why not become proficient? I know this sounds like a dumb and/or dangerous idea, but let's not lie and say it is unappealing at least to us - this is a wargaming site. Either way, small arms training will never save the world, but if people are educated and relatively peaceful, I don't see it as being dangerous. Flame on and enjoy the links. No matter how much you might disagree, you will enjoy these links
    Sorry mate, but Glocks are crap. Get a Huldra and a Kimber .45.
    Last edited by Vuk; 08-12-2013 at 15:41.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Why not just play paintball, then?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Breivik would approve of this idea.

Join the armed forces instead, like sane people do.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Breivik would approve of this idea.

Join the armed forces instead, like sane people do.
    Because making sure that you are trained to use the weapons you own so that you are not a danger to yourself and to others is the same as going on mass shootings of innocent civilians? Ahhh...European logic.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Hitler would approve of vegetarianism
    John Wayne Gacy would approve of clowning
    Walrus would approve of lying about in freezing cold water.

I'm talking about lawful activity. What he did was evil and unlawful. The mere fact that he might approve is irrelevant.

Ironically, as I've become more gun obsessed, I've also become more left leaning on many issues; ie soft on crime, more interested in other civil liberties, etc. It is possible that Lemur may attest to this
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 08-12-2013 at 21:05.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Any tool you use you should learn to use properly.

A poorly maintained axe is more likely to chop flesh than timber.

=][=

Thing is if there was another revolution it would be the hackers and console players who would rule. Because bringing a pistol to a drone fight is a recipe for mince meat not glory.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Hitler would approve of vegetarianism
    If you haven't thrown Hitler in the face of a vegetarian, you haven't lived man.

Members thankful for this post (2):

If you haven't thrown Hitler in the face of a vegetarian, you haven't lived man.
    It feels right.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

In Switzerland, pretty much every man has an assault rifle at home.

They also actually care about the democratic process.

Just throwing that in here (mind you, in USA where the majority are negroes, under class mexican or white trash, the idea of everyone having assault rifles is of course mind boggling!).

They also actually care about the democratic process.

Just throwing that in here (mind you, in USA where the majority are negroes, under class mexican or white trash, the idea of everyone having assault rifles is of course mind boggling!).
    Yes, because heaven knows that black people can't be trusted with weapons. Those savages...

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

in USA where the majority are negroes, under class mexican or white trash
    Well, you limited yourself by saying "Mexican" instead of hispanic, but you also left yourself a gigantic fudge by including "white trash." I guess your assertion makes sense if we classify, say, ~40% of white people as trash. Which seems excessive. (And yes, I know the pie chart below doesn't differentiate between hispanic-white and white-white. So sue me. I can't be bothered to go past the first page of Google results. Here, look it up for yourself.)

Last edited by Lemur; 08-13-2013 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    ...So sue me. I can't be bothered to go past the first page of Google results. Here, ...
    Why bother casting pearls before the swine?

Lemur, I think I am saying that USA has issues Switzerland don't.

Both countries are doing well on paper, both have liberal gun laws. But the statistics for the result of having said weapons are EXTREMELY different.

They have no term for "white trash" in Switzerland, just like we didn't know the term in Sweden before we started with mass immigration.

Coincidence, maybe. Or maybe accepting people from ****** up cultures will have a negative impact on your culture?

I guess the jury is still out on that one (but Switzerland don't take any chances, and seem to do OK).

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Remember, fostering citizen militias is a different issue from gun laws. I guess you could say that citizen militias might foster a sense of civic duty and responsibility/discipline around weapons. And give guys an outlet for their militaristic tendencies.

On the other hand, I don't think the social situation in the USA is right for them. Too much poverty, too much disengagement from politics and civil society, too much racial division. I don't think it would take long before they got into racketeering, community violence (imagine white/black only militias), and such ills.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

There is a responsible agent in each county for citizen militias. It is the sheriff. Such militia would have to be cleared by and responsible to the County Sheriff.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

both [USA and Switzerland] have liberal gun laws.
    Um, no? Very, very different gun laws. Switzerland has a level of organization and centralized authority that the USA would never tolerate. Heck, getting a gun license in Swissitania means taking tests and demonstrating competence. I can only imagine the exploding heads were such a law passed in 'Murica.

The Swiss army has long been a militia trained and structured to rapidly respond against foreign aggression. Swiss males grow up expecting to undergo basic military training, usually at age 20 in the Rekrutenschule (recruit school), the basic-training camp, after which Swiss men remain part of the "militia" in reserve capacity until age 30 (age 34 for officers).

Each soldier is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon (the 5.56x45mm Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P226 semi-automatic pistol for officers, military police, medical and postal personnel) at home or (as of 2010) in the local armoury (Zeughaus).

Last edited by Lemur; 08-13-2013 at 21:38.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

My Grandfather also believes the Negroes are the cause of Americas ills
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    My Grandfather also believes the Negroes are the cause of Americas ills
    Slavery is the cause of most of America's ills. Part of that is being saddled with a largely hostile population of people who are very different from all other global populations with a much deserved chip on their collective shoulders as a result of what western society had done to them. It is not far from the mark, what your grandfather says, but the sentiment in which it is delivered perpetuates the difficulty.

It also makes our country unique and helps us deal with the multi-kulti problem once and for all. We have a vested interest in it, and the African continent is doing well these days. It helps us know that people are just people - that individually we all have value not dictated by race. Culture, however, decides whether those differences can shine or cause a death spiral into pre-civilized hyperviolence, ignorance and disease.

The weight around our cultural neck may be personified by a certain subculture, but it is self imposed historically by years of inhuman cruelty that needs to be finally erased.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 08-14-2013 at 11:38.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It's because of the Chinese that Africa is doing well

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    It's because of the Chinese that Africa is doing well
    Sure. Let the Chinese build the infrastructure, we can provide medical assistance and the internet can do the rest.

Back on track. Do not try this at home. I can see someone trying it and immediately severing their femoral artery. But LOOK at the target size from the perspective of the opponent. Unreal. It's like there are 2 tiny people firing at you.

Pretty much all I do these days is watch YouTube.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

If you're hiding behind a wheel, you're hiding behind a car and wouldn't have much of a field of view either. Unless you were hiding behind a monster pick up truck... which would fit the demographic.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Sure. Let the Chinese build the infrastructure, we can provide medical assistance and the internet can do the rest.

Back on track. Do not try this at home. I can see someone trying it and immediately severing their femoral artery. But LOOK at the target size from the perspective of the opponent. Unreal. It's like there are 2 tiny people firing at you.

Pretty much all I do these days is watch YouTube.
    Here is a good one. Bows are awesome.

Edit, forgot link http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcNY2t0h-HE
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-14-2013 at 15:57.

This is hardly something you can relate to US gun ownership.

I also have an assault rifle in my closet, but I don't really see any connection between my gun and the US.

This is hardly something you can relate to US gun ownership.

I also have an assault rifle in my closet, but I don't really see any connection between my gun and the US.
    So everyone but Americans should be able to own assault rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    So everyone but Americans should be able to own assault rifles?
    I have no problems with the law requiring me to have an assault rifle in my house, and wouldn't have a problem with any other country adopting the same.

It's miles and miles away from the US gun laws, which is what I oppose.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast