Thread: Saxon Showdown [CONCLUDED]

Default Saxon Showdown [CONCLUDED]

Saxon Showdown

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magdeburg.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	9594

The year is 2004, the place Magdeburg. The city had flourished since the reunification of Germany, becoming the capital of Saxony-Anhalt and having its city centre redesigned to befit a modern city of its stature. However this success has attracted some unwelcome guests. Organised crime was fast becoming a prevalent issue across the whole of Germany, nowhere more so than Magdeburg. Families from the likes of Italy, Serbia and Russia had set up headquarters in the city and were turning over huge profits in a variety of legal and, more significantly, illegal trades. The local authorities were struggling to cope and recent attempts to stop the mafia families had resulted in the suspicious death of the town mayor. A new mayor was due to take over in a few days, reportedly with powerful friends and a real determination to rid the city of this menace. Whether he would have the full support of the populace, or whether they would succumb to their inner criminal, remains to be seen.

Rules:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1. To begin with days will be 48 hours and nights will be 24 hours. This may change if I feel it is needed or my schedule makes it necessary.
    2. Usual voting rules (must be bolded and in the form vote: Zim), unvotes aren’t needed, I’ll just use your most recent vote. Posts containing votes can be edited so long as the votes themselves aren’t changed.
    3. Ties will be decided by the Town Mayor (a role that will be randomly assigned). If he is dead they will be decided by chance; only one person will be lynched each day.
    4. Alignment and role will be revealed upon death.
    5. Dead players may not communicate outside of the thread and may not reveal, allude to, or even hint at information that has not been revealed in the thread.

6. There are four main factions in the game, three mafia families and the town. Each mafia family is of a specific nationality and will have its own call sign. Neutral parties may or may not exist.
    7. The goal of the town is to wipe out the mafia and the goal of the mafia is to wipe out the other mafia families and outnumber the remaining town. More detailed victory conditions will be given in role PMs.
    8. There will be a chance of failure for every night action. This can be counteracted by other players sending in orders to help with a specific night action. However if this action fails there is a chance that assisting players may die. If a mafia player assists a town night action (or vice versa) the chance of success will decrease rather than increase. I will not reveal the standard success percentages or the quantitative effect bringing help will have, you’ll have to figure this out for yourselves. For this to occur both the initiator and any players joining must PM me the action and the target AND mention each other in the PM.
    9. Experience will be gained for each vote and each successful night action (whether instigated or participated in), for 1xp and 2xp respectively. This experience can be exchanged for new night abilities (see below). It is possible to have more than one night ability but only one can be used at a time. Certain roles will have specific abilities and will not be able to learn new ones. Players assuming these roles during the game will lose any previously held abilities. Players in one of the crime families will require the blessing of their Don to gain new abilities.
    10. Some players will have the option to change faction during the game, some will not (such as the Mayor and his friends and the initial mafia members).
    11. Each faction will have at least one quicktopic, with further rules explained within.

Ability costs:
    Watcher: 6xp
    Detective: 8xp (requires watcher ability)
    Redirector: 6xp
    Doctor: 8xp (requires redirector ability)
    Roleblocker: 8xp
    Killer: 8xp (requires roleblocker ability)

As you can probably tell from the rules, this game has taken inspiration from Jarema’s Academy of Elemental Magic game and Seamus’ Capo games, so thank you to those guys.

I’d like to get at least 30 players but could probably make do with a few less.

Also just a note to say I will be away this weekend; I should still be able to check in, but apologies in advance if any questions go unanswered for a day or two.

Sign-ups:
    1. Gaius Scribonius Curio
    2. Darth Feather
    3. Makrell
    4. B-Wing
    5. rickinator9
    6. BSmith
    7. edse
    8. FoxLeLay
    9. Riedquat
    10. El Barto
    11. autolycus
    12. Chaotix
    13. Askthepizzaguy
    14. HopAlongBunny
    15. LazyMcCrow
    16. TinCow
    17. SalmonSoil
    18. Abstain
    19. Ishmael
    20. Yay!
    21. Csargo
    22. White_eyes:D
    23. Montmorency
    24. Ironside
    Last edited by Ferret; 06-24-2013 at 16:28.

Member thankful for this post:

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Default Re: Saxon Showdown [Sign-ups]

Sounds interesting. I'm in.
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Dark Lord of Sith Member Big Bird Hunting Champion, Squid Hunter Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Fun Surfing Champion Darth Feather's Avatar

Intersting
    Nathaniël of the mouse guard

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain" - Robert Jordan

The writer of above message is not responsible for any mistakes in the reasoning of said message.

Im scandinavian

In! Sounds too fun to resist.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I'm into this!
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

I'm in.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Please can you explain this:

2. Usual voting rules (must be bolded and in the form vote: Zim), unvotes aren’t needed, I’ll just use your most recent vote. Posts containing votes can be edited so long as the votes themselves aren’t changed.
    I don't see any reason to change the standard voting procedures. Your proposed method is totally open to abuse - or - more likely mistakes. If you change this to the standard voting procedure, I'll certainly sign up.

The method I use to come up with the final tally is going through the thread in chronological order and marking down who each person has voted for in a spreadsheet, and then count up who has the most votes when I have everyone's vote down. If I went through and tried to do a running tally then sure, there would be problems, but I don't. The way I do it means it really makes no difference whether people write unvote or not as my spreadsheet will still only have a maximum of one vote made by each player.
    I guarantee everyone still will unvote out of habit, I just put this in so people who forget to unvote won't be punished, as it really doesn't make a difference to my final tally.

I can see no way in which this method is open to abuse, but if there is please do explain it to me.

He meant the editing part. You don't know if the poster edited the vote or not when you see an edited post.

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    He meant the editing part. You don't know if the poster edited the vote or not when you see an edited post.
    Exactly. Just don't let people edit their votes and I'm in. Point being, I enjoy reading game threads - they're cool - it's why I play, but I don't want to have to keep re-reading the damn thing every day just to see how people have decided to change their vote. I didn't come up with the 'standard' way it works around here, but it obviously came about for a reason. Why change it?

Well then you could have just quoted that part.

I won't let people edit their votes, just the rest of the post. There is no problem with that and I've played more games here that use that rule than the no editing whatsoever rule. For example, the last large game you played had the exact same rules as this one regarding editing. Many hosts don't explicitly state it like I have but those are the rules that are often followed. This is the standard way...
    I can scroll through the forum and point out games you have played in that use the exact same system if that will make you feel any better.

And there are ways to check if the actual votes have been edited, just not by members.

I have debated on this issue before and I firmly stand by this system.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Granted I'm new to these types of game, here anyhow.... May I sign up here?

How similar is this to caps?

Oh! In please!
    returning to the shadows.....

Quote Originally Posted by FoxLeLay View Post
    Granted I'm new to these types of game, here anyhow.... May I sign up here?
    You certainly may.

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    How similar is this to caps?
    Similar in that there are multiple mafia families, each win a Don. Similar in that townies can potentially be recruited into the mafia families. Similar in that detectives may just learn whether a player is guilty or perhaps what their faction or even role is. Similar in many other more generic ways.

Short answer: a little bit

I'm certainly not claiming this game will be anywhere near as good as a Capo game, just that I have implemented certain aspects into this one.
    Last edited by Ferret; 06-13-2013 at 19:52.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Zajebi, vhy are these stuck-up Northern Europeans calling us out on the illegality of our actions? Eh? SRBIJA RULES, Brother!
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

in.
    My game on Civfanatics could use a few more!: MNOTW XVII: The Cursed Blade!

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

In.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Signing up to be meat for the grinder.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

In please
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Thanks for the reply Ferret. in please

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Sure, why not.

I have not played one of these in ages.

Godwin.

In as cannon fodder, please.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

Interesting

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

In.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

IN

in.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast