Thread: FF VII released on Steam.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default FF VII released on Steam.

Anybody played it on PC? I have it on PS3 so probably won't buy it unless it has something different, which I doubt.

If you've never played it, give it a whirl.

Member thankful for this post:

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Default Re: FF VII released on Steam.

Good catch. I might get it if it goes on sale.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that game, I hate that darned game.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

My advice is not to go back, it will only disappoint.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

I disagree, played it through again around a year ago, and enjoyed it as much as ever.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

I have remakes of I through VI, though I have only played FFIV and FFVI extensively. If you've played those, how does VII compare? I know people like to say that FFVII is "the best" Final Fantasy, but I've also heard that's just a lot of hype and overratedness.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

A lot of people who have genuinely played through the entire series think VI the best of the lot, personally my favourite is VIII (though tbf I haven't played any of the NES or SNES games since back in the day). The people who came into the series with the Playstation and VII are generally those who shout loudest about it being the best of the series.

My opinion is based on gameplay and how much I enjoy the battle systems, rather than the storylines, which are pretty much all your typical JRPG garbage.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 07-10-2013 at 19:12.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    VII has some moments in the game that will never be matched by another RPG, in terms of what they were trying to accomplish with character development. Unfortunately, that is hampered by a plot that makes no sense at all when looked at with the eyes of an adult. Going back to play that one goes a long ways towards ruining the memories of a good game, IMO.

VI was very good. That one aged better than VII, IMO.
    To be fair VI doesn't have a plot that makes much sense either, it's just that a certain plot part is still rare to see. Then again, so does VII. FF games aren't that strong in plots, they are a bit too convulated.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The bad guy winning enough to cause the world of ruin and actually murdering a full party member, respectively.

Graphics are really bad, since it was one of the first games with 3D sprites (it was more "look at what we can do with it" that it actully looking good). Combat sprites are decent. I've never checked, but I've red about mods on the graphics.

Combat is solid old JRPG school.

The overrated thing is more it's not "the best game ever", rather than it's not solid.

To summarise. It's a good game and if you liked the older ones, you'll probably like this one as well. I guess you know parts of the plot through osmosis.

If you buy, check if the steam version has fixed some bug with the chochobo racing, that caused crashing on newer computers. Othervise a fix exists.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

The combat in VII is still really good, that is true.

I think the graphics are actually one of the biggest reasons VI aged better than VII. Its easier to look at sprites than those wierd hooved creatures that roam your television when playing VII.
    My personal opinion when I first played it was that the graphics sucked more than the sprites before it. That was before I got the point of moving to 3D so it was pretty extreme.

Slightly ot. Hillarious FFVII webcomic here btw . It's quite spoilerish and follows the game, so you better have played it. Sadly being on deviant art makes it a bit problematic to follow, so here's a link where the first 252 pages are in more proper webcomic form. It continues after that and at some point he puts up links on deviantart making it easier to read.
    Last edited by Ironside; 07-15-2013 at 15:34.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Vuk hates that game.
    He's not the only one. The reason I hate any and all JRPG's is called FF VII.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Overrated game, it's so well known because people didn't expect a main-character to die. I liked Tales of Symphonia a whole lot more. I kinda dislike Japanese style rpg's or anime in general. If it's your thing I recommend it though, it's a huge game that will keep you busy for a LONG time, with excellent production values