Thread: Highsense Sero 7 Pro tablet

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Highsense Sero 7 Pro tablet

The Hisense Sero7 Pro has been getting a lot of good press.

Basically, it matches the Google Nexus7 in hardware specs, but beats it with the addition of a microSD slot, an HDMI out port and a rear-facing camera and costs $50 less. And yeah, it's WalMart exclusive.

So I went to my local WalMart, they had them in stock, and I bought one. Then I rooted it. It's a great tablet. I just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone was in the market for an Android tablet.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 07-17-2013 at 03:04.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Highsense Sero 7 Pro tablet

Oh, could we please have some running updates as you play with it? I'm in the market for a tablet, and the lack of a microSD slot is what has kept me out of Google's loving arms so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Oh, could we please have some running updates as you play with it? I'm in the market for a tablet, and the lack of a microSD slot is what has kept me out of Google's loving arms so far.
    I thought it was downright scummy of Google not to include a microSD slot. The only reason for it I could see was so they could overcharge for the 32GB model. The price of a 16GB microSD card is nowhere near the premium they charge over the 16GB nexus for the 32GB. Also, the Sero7 Pro also includes the addition of a rear-facing camera and a mini HDMI port.

I think I've had my tablet for about 2 weeks now. The screen is great. The performance is snappier than my RazrMaxx smartphone. The Tegra3 processor makes it a solid performer for gaming. I've had it lock up on me maybe 2 times, but a reboot had it working fine again- Between rooting it and adding/removing so many apps, I'm not concerned about that.

At first I was a little worried about battery life...
    When I first got the tablet I was using it constantly. The first day, it didn't make it all day without needing recharged. Now that I'm past the "kid at Christmas" phase with it and have moved onto what I'd call "normal" usage, the battery has been fine. Yesterday, I probably read news/weather on it for about an hour total and watched an episode of Metalocalypse on Netflix... I think it was at 75% when I put it on charge. On days when I spend more time on it- gaming etc, I'd say its usually 30-40% when I put it on charge.

I've been semi-addicted to the Granny Smith game....
    -Abraham Lincoln

Which version of Android does it come with? ANy idea what the update schedule is gonna be? (I know that's a sore point for many non-Nexus devices, lack of updates.)

-edit-

Ah, I see Ars Technica is on the case ...
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-17-2013 at 14:43.

-Abraham Lincoln

Hmm, interesting.

Then again, all of this seven-inch stuff is kinda beside the point for me. I want something for reading comics in bed, so a ten-incher is probably where I will wind up. Someday. When all of the concerns and finicky things I want have been addressed.

Then again, all of this seven-inch stuff is kinda beside the point for me. I want something for reading comics in bed, so a ten-incher is probably where I will wind up.
    Mrs. Lemur approves, I gather?
    This space intentionally left blank

Kinda left that dangling there for you, I know.

Hmm, interesting.

Then again, all of this seven-inch stuff is kinda beside the point for me. I want something for reading comics in bed, so a ten-incher is probably where I will wind up. Someday. When all of the concerns and finicky things I want have been addressed.
    Rear facing camera? Good.
    I doubt it has video out or a microSD slot tho.
    Something to bear in mind... I'm used to reading in bed with my nook SimpleTouch in bed with no problem. I've read in bed with my 7" tablet and by comparison..... it's heavy. I find it gets uncomfortable to continue holding it a proper viewing angle for extended periods(the wrists get tired). A 10" tablet would only be heavier. Unless you're going to read sitting up?

Also, I've been meaning to load up some comics on my 7"... and haven't gotten around to it. I even downloaded an app... just never loaded any content. I keep hoping to find an electronic version of the Mage series.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 07-23-2013 at 17:11.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I keep hoping to find an electronic version of the Mage series.
    If I remember correctly, Matt Wagner's Mage was published by Image comics, and they've got a deal with Comixology. A lot of comic book nerds have very nice things to say about that service. Good DC and Marvel collection, not to mention a pile of indie labels (more my speed). Only glaring hole in their selection is a lack of Dark Horse (which means no Usagi Yojimbo).

I hear what you're saying about weight. I don't really know, and I don't know how to know without bringing a tablet home.

Reading before bed is a Sacred Ritual for this lemur. Paper books and the Kindle fill that role now, as well as the occasional comic book read on the littlest laptop. I keep thinking a tablet would be a perfect addition to my bedtime reading gear, but yeah, it might actually suck. I don't really see how to game this out in advance.

-edit-

FYI, just looked, and Comixology does, in fact, have the entire run of Mage I and II.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-23-2013 at 17:42.

Walmart has a reputation for letting you return anything. Just sayin...
    -Abraham Lincoln

FYI, just looked, and Comixology does, in fact, have the entire run of Mage I and II.
    Hmm, cool. I don't think I've read series 1 since I was in HS....
    -Abraham Lincoln

I got an OTA update pushed from Hisense last night. At first I was thinking it might be the 4.2.2 update, but alas no.

It's still good to know that they're releasing updates for the device. Maybe 4.2.2 will happen yet.
    -Abraham Lincoln

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I thought it was downright scummy of Google not to include a microSD slot. The only reason for it I could see was so they could overcharge for the 32GB model.
    no, so they can push you to their cloud based services.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Hey @Xiahou, did your 7" tablet get any OS updates?

I think the last update was near the end of September.... but it wasn't 4.2.2

It really is a great little tablet for $150 though.

Edit: A bit of Googling indicates that 4.3 is supposed to be out for the device sometime this fall... don't see anything official on it though.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 11-16-2013 at 02:59.
    -Abraham Lincoln

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Whatever you do, just NEVER buy a failPad. They don't work. Even when plugged in it uses more energy than comes in, and it's not advanced enough for using internet. Hate the thing. Posting a reaction on a website without having to wonder if that pos actually posts it, you know half an hour later, 50/50 it wasn't too complex, anf a LOT of content just doesn't work at all.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-15-2014 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Whatever you do, just NEVER buy a failPad. They don't work.
    Forced to buy an iPad this winter; wife's work uses an iOS-only app, so we had no choice.

Picked up the air with the 64-bit proc. It's working quite well with everything we're throwing at it. In fact, it has become wife's main PC, she barely ever cracks open her Windows laptop anymore.

Sure you aren't just using it ... incorrectly?

Again, left to my own devices I would have gotten an Android tablet, but work is work, and you don't muck around with that.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar