Thread: 1 in 7

Default 1 in 7

Must be a thrilling adventure to live in several neighborhoods in Detroit, where you have a 1 in 7 chance to be a victim of violent crime this year. I wonder, are 1 in 7 people there violent criminals, or are there some really damn busy bad guys? Other stuff from
    http://money.msn.com/now/the-25-most...-neighborhoods

Neighborhood: North Indianapolis

The neighborhood has a vacancy rate of more than 39%, and a large portion of residents are active in the military. It's one of the lowest-income neighborhoods in America, according to NeighborhoodScout.
    Found within zip code: 46208
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 69.02
    Chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 14

I added the bold. Indianapolis seems more interesting every moment:

Neighborhood: Directly northeast of the North Indianapolis district listed at No. 20.

This area expands out from the intersection of North Meridian Street and East 32nd Street, and includes the Children's Museum of Indianapolis. It also has more same-sex couples living together than 98.3% of the rest of the country.
    Found within zip codes: 46208, 46205
    Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 72.71
    Chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 14
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Default Re: 1 in 7

My Googlefu is weak. I had hoped to find similar articles to compare places like London, Marseilles, Glasgow, Sofia, Grozny, Naples, Moscow, and other European wonderlands.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Well with some brief googling, here's a couple of links which may be of interest.

Gangs in the United Kingdom

An interesting snippet from there:

"Glasgow in Scotland also has a historical gang culture with the city having 6 times as many teenage gangs as London, which has ten times the population, per capita"

Glasgow ranked UK's most violent area

The above says Glasgow has a homicide rate of 2.74 per 100,000. tbh I would think that is pretty low compared to some US cities from what I have seen. I'm basing that purely on things like 'Ross Kemp on Gangs', but the US does seem to have a stronger and more organised gang culture. I think in Glasgow a lot of it is just recreational fighting, maybe a bit of racketeering etc.

IIRC Manchester is the worst in the UK for gun crime. For all the stuff about Glasgow and London though, from personal experience I think Belfast would be top in reality - the thing is that a lot of stuff would not be reported there for cultural reasons.

Heh, I remember somebody once giving a talk at my school (he may have been a journalist IIRC), and saying how he was once offered the chance to play with a gun by a criminal in Kiev. Of course he didn't want his prints on it and declined, so the criminal said "no, of course, you're from Glasgow, you would rather have a knife".

Of course Glasgow has seen a lot of redevelopment and it isn't really half as bad as it's reputation, but it is funny just how notorious it is.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 07-19-2013 at 19:02.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

ladies and gentlemen I give you limerick

Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 07-19-2013 at 20:41.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Take him.. to Detroit

My brother lived for a while because of his study, he didn't like it there

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

America has a gang problem. The Gangsta culture only contributes to it. It has been on the rise since the 1980.

Most dangerous neighborhoods in America: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nei...neighborhoods/

The most dangerous neighborhoods around the world can be found here: http://www.complex.com/city-guide/20...neighborhoods/

But this list comes from 2011. The only one in Europe is the Solntsevo neighborhood in Moscow.

This one: http://alizul2.blogspot.de/2012/11/1...-in-world.html

Is from 2012 and lists some US cities among the most dangerous, though how they developed the stats, I don’t know.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

that first list the 2011 one has one more european neighbourhood with Tiraspol which is in eastern europe in Moldova

you could stretch it an claim south ossetia too but it depends on your definition of where europe ends
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy